Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
How much do you think about North Korea?
1  2  3  Next

sneakermom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:05 pm
North Korea launched a missle yesterday that went for fifty minutes amd landed in Japanese ocean. If it were directed towards us it would hit NY in thirty nine minutes. If a nuclear warhead was attached to it, we will have a nuclear attack.

How does this end? How is this similar or different to what went on between the U.S. and Russia years back?

Is it okay for us to strike first? Or must we wait and see what happens?

Are we in mortal danger?

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:22 pm
I don't think about it at all. It is outside my realm of influence. It is just like every other time that various powers have been involved with nuclear weapons. If we sriike North Korea first, it is likely that they would also strike -- mutually assured destruction. Only Hashem knows how it works out. I assume they are just posturing and nothing will happen.

animeme

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:28 pm
I didn't, until today. Today I found myself with visions of my kids sitting under their desks. Although how that helps anything, I don't know. Is it better or worse than the lockdown drills they do to protect from threats like active shooters?

I guess we'll see. If they could attach a nuclear warhead to the missile, I imagine they'd find some way to let us know. Until then, we daven.

agreer

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:31 pm
I never think about North Korea.

Also... I don't get how it took it 50 minutes to land in the nearby ocean but it could get to NY in 39?

Laiya

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:35 pm
agreer wrote:
I never think about North Korea.

Also... I don't get how it took it 50 minutes to land in the nearby ocean but it could get to NY in 39?

Because of altitude. The test missile was aimed high. They're theorizing what would happen if it were aimed low, to hit land.

Laiya

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:51 pm
sneakermom wrote:
North Korea launched a missle yesterday that went for fifty minutes amd landed in Japanese ocean. If it were directed towards us it would hit NY in thirty nine minutes. If a nuclear warhead was attached to it, we will have a nuclear attack.

How does this end? How is this similar or different to what went on between the U.S. and Russia years back?

Is it okay for us to strike first? Or must we wait and see what happens?

Are we in mortal danger?

As I understand, in order to be dangerous the missile needs to be equipped with a nuclear warhead. They haven't shown that they're able to do this.

Also, we have the ability to retaliate in a far more deadly way, potentially turning their entire country to ash. Iow, it wouldn't be worth it for them.

Still a concern though because their leader is a madman, and they should be stopped.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 10:52 pm
lavenderchimes wrote:
I don't think about it at all. It is outside my realm of influence. It is just like every other time that various powers have been involved with nuclear weapons. If we sriike North Korea first, it is likely that they would also strike -- mutually assured destruction. Only Hashem knows how it works out. I assume they are just posturing and nothing will happen.

If we strike North Korea first, there will be no more North Korea. That’s the only reason North Korea has restrained itself until now.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:02 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
If we strike North Korea first, there will be no more North Korea. That’s the only reason North Korea has restrained itself until now.

I don't know much about these things, but I think that they will have enough time to strike back before they actually get hit. These things aren't instantaneous.

unexpected

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:08 pm
I think about the poor children who are born in concentration camps and I wonder how come the world is not stopping this insanity

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:22 pm
The U.S. main concern is that it seems that N.K. is less than a year away from developing the capability to attach a nuclear warhead onto its weapons. There is really only one reason why the U.S. doesn't demolish N.K.'s nuclear facility. The reason is because N.K. has thousands of smaller yet deadly conventional weapons such as rockets that are pointed at South Korea at every moment. Most experts say that should the U.S. attack N.K. in any way, N.K. would unload a barrage of missiles and rockets into Seoul, possibly killing over a million people within an hour. The U.S. knows that N.K. just might be crazy enough to to this and is therefore afraid to act. The catch 22 is that if they don't act and allow N.K. to finish development of it's nuclear program, N.K. will have the capacity to do even more harm. This seems to be a disaster either way. The bottom line is this: If the U.S. tries to stop N.K. nuclear program, millions of S.K. likely will be killed. If the U.S. doesn't stop N.K. nuclear program, then really the whole word is at risk.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:27 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

So why haven't we done that yet?? Isn't there some clause somewhere about killing people if it means saving many more people. There has to be, it only makes sense. I confess I know nothing about any of this, but feom reading these posts it seems pretty clear to me.

(It reminds me of some inane law I once heard...you can't shoot your gun at an intruder unless you know for a fact they will kill you. Um, why wait until I'm dead to retaliate?)

sneakermom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:28 pm
I’ve watched some docs on North Korea. It’s disturbing and yet fascinating in a very sad way.

Basically it’s a whole country run as an extreme cult. From birth until death the regime controls everything about your life. You have no ability to choose where to live, where to go to school, where to work. And your level of allegiance is monitored and any perceived deviance of thought or behavior is punished by death or labor camps, including all relatives for three generations.

If you watch how the people throw themselves at the leader, and literally go crazy at the sight of him. You get a sense of the psychological pressure they are under to idolize and capitulate to the leader.

It’s very different then other dictators, even Hitler, who had roaring crowds waving flags as they passed by.

It’s complete hysteria, like how you might react if a Malach walked into the room.

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 11:38 pm
groisamomma wrote:
So why haven't we done that yet?? Isn't there some clause somewhere about killing people if it means saving many more people. There has to be, it only makes sense. I confess I know nothing about any of this, but feom reading these posts it seems pretty clear to me.

(It reminds me of some inane law I once heard...you can't shoot your gun at an intruder unless you know for a fact they will kill you. Um, why wait until I'm dead to retaliate?)

It's an awesome achrayis to kill many millions of people in a preemptive strike. That scenario is very unlikely to happen. There's a better chance that the U.S. will bomb N.K. nuclear facility which will cause N.K. to start launching rockets and missiles into S.K. which will force S.K. to obliterate N.K.. The complete annihilation of N.K. and the killing of millions of innocent civilians is not going to come from the U.S.. South Korea, which is in much greater danger, will potentially be forced to carry this out.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 12:22 am
I think about North Korea every time we say "Never again." Because its is happening. There. Again. And the whole world knows.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 2:43 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
The U.S. main concern is that it seems that N.K. is less than a year away from developing the capability to attach a nuclear warhead onto its weapons. There is really only one reason why the U.S. doesn't demolish N.K.'s nuclear facility. The reason is because N.K. has thousands of smaller yet deadly conventional weapons such as rockets that are pointed at South Korea at every moment. Most experts say that should the U.S. attack N.K. in any way, N.K. would unload a barrage of missiles and rockets into Seoul, possibly killing over a million people within an hour. The U.S. knows that N.K. just might be crazy enough to to this and is therefore afraid to act. The catch 22 is that if they don't act and allow N.K. to finish development of it's nuclear program, N.K. will have the capacity to do even more harm. This seems to be a disaster either way. The bottom line is this: If the U.S. tries to stop N.K. nuclear program, millions of S.K. likely will be killed. If the U.S. doesn't stop N.K. nuclear program, then really the whole word is at risk.

Plus, who knows how NK's alliance with Iran and Cuba will come into play if this escalates?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 3:38 am
And so? There's a dozen or so countries around Israel that want to kill me too.
I just don't think about it, because, well, does it matter if it's ISIS, NK, Syria, Gaza? Every day it's someone else. I have better things to think about....I just have emunah Hashem won't blow me up today.

Anyway I read somewhere that the kosel will never come down, so I figure if there is a nuclear war, I'm going to camp out there.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:13 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I just don't think about it, because, well, does it matter if it's ISIS, NK, Syria, Gaza? Every day it's someone else. I have better things to think about....I just have emunah Hashem won't blow me up today.

Anyway I read somewhere that the kosel will never come down, so I figure if there is a nuclear war, I'm going to camp out there.

Well, that was the conception before the churban (Yirmiyahu perek 7). Much good it did them.
Then again, their fate had already been sealed a generation earlier. I like to believe (hope) that our situation is different....
Regarding NK - though there are more imminent threats to our security here, like Iran, I have a weird feeling that this situation is not going to end well at all, for the world at large. So it concerns me quite a bit, even if Israel presumably is not in the immediate line of fire.
I think that in retrospect, historians are going to be incredulous at the complacency of many, and will bemoan the fact that the threat was not given greater credence and eradicated by stronger measures earlier in the game.
I am also very discomfited that the US President who is up against this madman is also impetuous in nature and thinks nothing of goading his rivals with personal attacks that, in this case, could further provoke an already irrational and egomaniacal adversary.

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:28 am
I think about it daily in relation to Moshiach. It gets me very excited and I daven for lots of rachamim as it can turn out with lots of catastrophe or it can be brought with miracles which save us from harm. There are many sources which say the Koreas will be involved in the End of Days. When I see current events unfolding in the direct prophesies for the arrival of Moshaich, I get very excited. Especially with Saudi Arabia switching sides. It is all written down from thousands of years ago and is happening as we speak. Hashem is sending us all of this so we can yearn for Moshaich! Don't just look at it like another political happening, it is to wake us up! Do your personal teshuva before the big day! Ask Hashem to end the current sheker and bring the knowledge of Him throughout the world already! To end all of the pain and suffering we read about in almost every thread here on imamother...

Rabbi Mendel Kessin (YouTube or TorahThinking) is a great resource to understand the sources and how they are played out in current events. There are countless rabbis giving lectures to explain how all these world events including weather changes and political changes are heralding in the new times. Don't think this is just another regular moment in time. If something major happens with North Korea, that will be the end.

These events have happened slowly as a chessed from Hashem so we will realize the world as we know it is over and we are changing over into a new kind of existence. Everyone will be in EY soon BEH and your life in America or elsewhere will be drastically changed but in a great way. If you are not looking forward to the change, you have forgotten why you are a Jew and the role Hashem wants from you. You are also holding up the geula thinking you would rather he not come because you're holding onto false dreams. We are almost done our golus and we will all be reunited soon. A good life in America is not the end all, it is just a stopping point and that stage is almost over.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:42 am
Makes you wonder what Bill Cinton was thinking when he enabled them to get nuclear capabilities back in the 90s. And of course, one of the negotiators and architects of this brilliant deal (in addition to the doofus Jimmy Carter) was Wendy Sherman -- also involved in enabling Iran to go nuclear in the wonderful 2015 Iran Deal.

And NK and Iran are allies.

Gee -- what could possibly go wrong?

Each President averts a short-term crisis by making some deal which then snowballs into a much more deadly threat after he has conveniently left the office.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:58 am
LovesHashem wrote:

What makes you think that a retaining wall of the platform on which the Beit HaMikdash stood is divinely protected, but the Beit HaMikdash itself could be destroyed -- twice?

If you have ever seen horrific photos of Hiroshima or Nagasaki victims, you would not be so flippant. There are no words that adequately capture the horror.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics