Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Not speaking Hebrew
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:24 am
We're hoping to make Aliyah in the next 5 years, after I finish my PhD. I'm a PT, specializing in pediatrics. DH is planning to be self-employed, so his income will be sporadic.
As a PT working privately, do you think it is possible to only be able to speak very basic Hebrew? Working mainly in English. I don't have a head for languages, and Ulpan doesn't appeal to me, plus to support the family, I'd need to start work right away.
One of our daughters is dyslexic, and would need to be in an English speaking school, possible a Montessori type one. Do such school exist in the Anglo areas like RBS?

salt

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:36 am
amother wrote:
We're hoping to make Aliyah in the next 5 years, after I finish my PhD. I'm a PT, specializing in pediatrics. DH is planning to be self-employed, so his income will be sporadic.
As a PT working privately, do you think it is possible to only be able to speak very basic Hebrew? Working mainly in English. I don't have a head for languages, and Ulpan doesn't appeal to me, plus to support the family, I'd need to start work right away.
One of our daughters is dyslexic, and would need to be in an English speaking school, possible a Montessori type one. Do such school exist in the Anglo areas like RBS?

Do you expect most of your clients to be English speaking? If so, then no problem at all.
And even if they're Israeli, I think you'd manage.
My DH works with many doctors who speak very minimal Hebrew - Russian/ French/ English speakers. And they get by, even with Hebrew speaking patients. Their grammar's all wrong, and they pop in English or French words here and there, but they're understood. And if they're competant and confident, that's what's important.

BTW, there are probably evening ulpans, or weekly ulpans, just to give you a booster.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 5:45 am
amother wrote:

Unless you move to a very heavily Anglo area and take only English-speaking patients, you should expect to speak some professional Hebrew. Start with the vocabulary most pertinent to your day-to-day job.

You say you are planning to move in the next 5 years -- that should be plenty of time to get some basics under your belt. If you flat-out do not plan to go to ulpan, then you should learn some Hebrew before you arrive.

Even if you live in a heavily Anglo bubble, you still need to know some Hebrew, unless you never plan to leave your dalet amot or talk on the phone to a service man or settle your phone bill, etc. It is not reasonable to move to another country and plan to never communicate with anyone in the local language.

Schooling: The dyslexic daughter will definitely require some extra help. How old will she be when you plan to arrive? If she will be older and almost done with school, then it may be worth it to send to a program like Maaleh so she can finish her high school education in English. But if she is younger, I would say to try and mainstream her. I suppose I depends on th severity of her dyslexia.

For the other children: send your kids to a regular (Hebrew-speaking) school. Do you want them to grow up functionally illiterate?

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 5:52 am
salt wrote:
Do you expect most of your clients to be English speaking? If so, then no problem at all.
And even if they're Israeli, I think you'd manage.
My DH works with many doctors who speak very minimal Hebrew - Russian/ French/ English speakers. And they get by, even with Hebrew speaking patients. Their grammar's all wrong, and they pop in English or French words here and there, but they're understood. And if they're competant and confident, that's what's important.

BTW, there are probably evening ulpans, or weekly ulpans, just to give you a booster.

Thanks for the reply. Even though we never spoke it at home, many of my clients speak Yiddish as their first language, and I get by just fine. I'm sure that my Hebrew will be the same.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 5:57 am
DrMom wrote:
Unless you move to a very heavily Anglo area and take only English-speaking patients, you should expect to speak some professional Hebrew. Start with the vocabulary most pertinent to your day-to-day job.

You say you are planning to move in the next 5 years -- that should be plenty of time to get some basics under your belt. If you flat-out do not plan to go to ulpan, then you should learn some Hebrew before you arrive.

Even if you live in a heavily Anglo bubble, you still need to know some Hebrew, unless you never plan to leave your dalet amot or talk on the phone to a service man or settle your phone bill, etc. It is not reasonable to move to another country and plan to never communicate with anyone in the local language.

Schooling: The dyslexic daughter will definitely require some extra help. How old will she be when you plan to arrive? If she will be older and almost done with school, then it may be worth it to send to a program like Maaleh so she can finish her high school education in English. But if she is younger, I would say to try and mainstream her. I suppose I depends on th severity of her dyslexia.

For the other children: send your kids to a regular (Hebrew-speaking) school. Do you want them to grow up functionally illiterate?

My daughter is very severely dyslexic , ADHD, anxiety etc. Putting her in a regular programme would finish her off. She's already what you might call 'functionally illiterate'.
Everyday Hebrew and the language skills I require for work are at a very different level, and it would take time I do not have to spare to get my language skills up to scratch.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 5:58 am
Not op and hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread. For those who live overseas and have a minimal/basic Hebrew background, like a few semesters in college- how do we learn more? I have some textbooks, Hayesod and some others but am concerned that I'd unknowingly place accents in wrong places. Like words gar, ratz in feminine: is it garA, ratzA, or maybe gAra, rAtza. I think I came across some exceptions. how do you learn the language, other than hiring a private tutor (a costly option not available to most). How do you proceed after you're done with hayesod?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 6:01 am
If you know enough Hebrew to read Chumash, you probably have quite a bit of passive knowledge. Try downloading Hebrew shiurim to listen to during your commute. This is a painless way to get started.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 6:01 am
I second everything Dr. Mom said, from personal experience.

You will want to know some basic Hebrew conversation, just to be polite. Phrase books are useful for that. Hebrew for Dummies is actually a really good book.

Almost every Israeli you meet will want to practice their limited English with you, but they will also really warm to you if you try to speak a little Hebrew to them first.

You don't have to stress about grammar, just know enough to cover pleasantries, order coffee at a cafe, and ask where the bathroom is.

For the kids, they will have a MUCH easier assimilation if you get them a Hebrew tutor ahead of time. It will really help them make new friends, and feel at home in their new country. If there was one thing I could change about my Aliyah prep, that would be it.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 6:03 am
amother wrote:
My daughter is very severely dyslexic , ADHD, anxiety etc. Putting her in a regular programme would finish her off. She's already what you might call 'functionally illiterate'.
Everyday Hebrew and the language skills I require for work are at a very different level, and it would take time I do not have to spare to get my language skills up to scratch.

You have 5 years. You should be able to learn some basic Hebrew in that time.

Do you know any Israelis in your area? Maybe you could pay an Israeli student to talk with you a couple of hours each week.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 8:05 am
Just to clarify. I do speak Hebrew, enough to function in daily life. Just not at a high level that I'd need professionally.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 8:10 am
Ah, then you are off to a great start, as you already have the basics.

Don't worry about speaking perfectly. Just practice speaking.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:32 am
OP, you will not like what I have to say. I have been in Israel for more than 20 yrs and one of the best thing I did was to go to Ulpan (2 semesters). I worked extremely hard to learn Hebrew as I refused to feel like an outsider. "Getting by" was and is not my idea of how to live.
If you want to settle in a country you must learn the local language. You will be able to get into the Israeli society in a way that you can't without language. Do you want to read the paper? Understand what ppl around you are talking abt? Understand jokes? The news? Do you want to be a part of it or would you prefer to feel handicapped/like an outsider? You are working on an honourable degree. That means you most certainly have a good head on your shoulders! I frankly don't buy that "you don't have a head for languagues" or "Ulpan is not appealing".Moving to another country is a challenge. It takes time to get adjusted. Don't let language be another challenge to overcome once you are here. You got 5 yrs so no excuses please.
Awaiting the flying tomatoes now.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
Im not 100% sure this program would work for your child, then again, we dont know how old this child is either, but if high school age, there is http://www.yta.org.il/girls/in.....page/

shevi82

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:13 am
Think long and hard before coming. I know this is not a popular opinion, but you are bringing a girl who might not manage and will be miserable. You can not live in a country that you do not speak the language, besides you might have to do tests in hebrew to get a license here. Be very sure this is right for you before you do it. It's not Aliyah at every price.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:17 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, you will not like what I have to say. I have been in Israel for more than 20 yrs and one of the best thing I did was to go to Ulpan (2 semesters). I worked extremely hard to learn Hebrew as I refused to feel like an outsider. "Getting by" was and is not my idea of how to live.
If you want to settle in a country you must learn the local language. You will be able to get into the Israeli society in a way that you can't without language. Do you want to read the paper? Understand what ppl around you are talking abt? Understand jokes? The news? Do you want to be a part of it or would you prefer to feel handicapped/like an outsider? You are working on an honourable degree. That means you most certainly have a good head on your shoulders! I frankly don't buy that "you don't have a head for languagues" or "Ulpan is not appealing".Moving to another country is a challenge. It takes time to get adjusted. Don't let language be another challenge to overcome once you are here. You got 5 yrs so no excuses please.
Awaiting the flying tomatoes now.

Let me clarify that I CAN speak everyday Hebrew, I'm concerned about my language skills at work.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
Im not 100% sure this program would work for your child, then again, we dont know how old this child is either, but if high school age, there is http://www.yta.org.il/girls/in.....page/

Thanks for this. It sounds very interesting. My youngest will be starting High School in 5 years.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:18 am
shevi82 wrote:
Think long and hard before coming. I know this is not a popular opinion, but you are bringing a girl who might not manage and will be miserable. You can not live in a country that you do not speak the language, besides you might have to do tests in hebrew to get a license here. Be very sure this is right for you before you do it. It's not Aliyah at every price.

Totally totally agree with you.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:19 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Totally totally agree with you.

The licensing exam is in English.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
Let me clarify that I CAN speak everyday Hebrew, I'm concerned about my language skills at work.

OK. Maybe get someone with experience in your field and living in Israel will be able to give you a picture of what is required.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:38 am
amother wrote:

That changes a lot of my answer, but not all of it. It's great that you can speak every day Hebrew. It will be a big asset to you. Start another post, asking therapists in Israel about the language and their experiences. See if there are any classes for Hebrew that is specific to your field, where you're only learning what will be immediately useful for you.

What's most important, is to teach your kids Hebrew BEFORE you come over. I really can't stress this enough. I'd give anything to turn back the clock and do that for my DD, because I think that's the number one reason why she had a such a horrible time here. (You can read my megillahs in other posts.)

Make Hebrew a game around the house. Every time your kids say something in Hebrew, give them a chocolate chip, or a star on a chart. Put vocabulary word stickers on everything. Hebrew for Dummies comes with a sticker sheet for labeling stuff around the house, and the stickers don't damage surfaces.

With a tutor, and 5 years to practice, they should be able to walk into any school in Israel and fit in seamlessly.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions