Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Video to teach kids hebrew or yiddish

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:07 am
I have a three year old daughter and her Morah throws in a lot of hebrew vocabulary words like now she calls water "mayim" and a house a "bayis." My four year old son is a little jealous of his sisters knowing new names for words and his teacher will throw in a yiddish word here or there and he'll start using those words too. I would love to tap into this further and teach my kids another language but I only know english. Are there any kids videos out there that kids can learn some hebrew or english. Anyone purely english speaking have their kids somehow pick up or come familiar with another language through cds/videos?

southernbubby

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:27 am
Honestly, this would be a good business, to create children's videos for the express purpose of teaching Hebrew and Yiddish as a language. There are plenty of videos for children in Hebrew for the Hebrew speaking population but the only thing that I have found in Yiddish is a electronic toy phone that has some Yiddish songs, conversations, and counting. I bought that phone for some of my grandchildren but their parents found the thing very annoying and hid it or lost it. I agree that after awhile, it's charm did wear off.

If some of you get together to make some of these videos, I would be a good customer.

cm

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 10:44 am
There are plenty of Hebrew videos, but they are in modern Israeli Hebrew, or are designed to teach modern Hebrew (bayit, not bayis).

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:04 am
cm wrote:
There are plenty of Hebrew videos, but they are in modern Israeli Hebrew, or are designed to teach modern Hebrew (bayit, not bayis).

I would actually prefer modern hebrew over "bayis" IMHO this "bayis" business is ridiculous no one outside of the American BY system talks like that. If you go to Israel and say "bayis" instead of "bayit" I doubt they will even understand what you are saying but thats another topic for another time....I would be interested in a video to teach modern hebrew. Would you be able to send me a link or tell me a title. Would there be ladies singing or dressed not tzinyus in the videos? I dont want dh to be uncomfortable.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
I would actually prefer modern hebrew over "bayis" IMHO this "bayis" business is ridiculous no one outside of the American BY system talks like that. If you go to Israel and say "bayis" instead of "bayit" I doubt they will even understand what you are saying but thats another topic for another time....I would be interested in a video to teach modern hebrew. Would you be able to send me a link or tell me a title. Would there be ladies singing or dressed not tzinyus in the videos? I dont want dh to be uncomfortable.

There are some cartoons that have animals instead of untznius people or women singing but these are not instructive of Hebrew, they simply are for Israeli kids. My son-in-law from Tel Aviv plays them for my grandchildren (they live in America). If you do a search for them, you could probably find them. I don't know those titles but they do watch a lot of DuDu Fisher and he sings some Hebrew songs for kids and uses a lot of Hebrew and English mixed. I couldn't find those however but did find the cartoons that they watch:

and th

and there are lots more under Israeli children's cartoons but watch them before you show them to your kids or play them around your husband because some of them do have women singing or non-tzniyus women dancing with the children, etc., although these videos are intended for small children so there is nothing terrible in them.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
I would actually prefer modern hebrew over "bayis" IMHO this "bayis" business is ridiculous no one outside of the American BY system talks like that.

Rude and false.

I would buy a good thing for Yiddish.
Possibly for Ashky Hebrew.
Zero interest in modern Ivrit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers