Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Lisp at 6

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 2:52 pm
My 6 year old has been getting speech since age 2. He is on the autism spectrum. At this point his language is perfectly fine, advanced even, but he still gets speech due to his social and communication deficits. He only get one session a week and I have a feeling the district will cut that next year. Which is fine, he gets many hours of ABA and I think that's doing more for him at this point than the speech. Anyway, he has a lisp. I've been trying for years to help him correct it, but none of the speech therapists ever addressed it because there were always bigger issues to address. Now that he doesn't really need speech anymore, the SLP has been focusing on it for the few months she has left with him. I feel guilty that we all kind of ignored it until now. I mean, again, there were bigger fish to fry all these years, but still, 6 is pretty late to address a lisp. Anyone want to calm me down about this? How long did your child or a child you knew lisp for before correcting it?

bsy

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 3:50 pm
I'm an SLP. 6 is not late for a lisp at all! It's a later developing sound. We give kids until age 8. We wouldn't start earlier than 6 because it's hard for kids to grasp the sound, and a lisp at that age is not developmentally abnormal.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:44 pm
I had a lisp when I was little, it was only addressed in 1st grade, aka when I was 6.5-7 years old, and it was fine within a few months.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 4:51 pm
Thanks. That makes me feel better.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 5:04 pm
When I was young, Lisps were addressed on 2nd grade. I'm not sure when my lisp went away, I had it in first grade, but by the time we were evaluated in second grade it wasn't there anymore
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children