Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do you let your 5 year old daughter wear pants?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you let your 5 year old daughter wear pants?
Yes  
 33%  [ 47 ]
No  
 66%  [ 94 ]
Total Votes : 141

pause

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:46 pm
amother wrote:
Little kids do somersaults and roll on the floor and hang upside down from the monkey bars and mine have yoga in school. Those don’t work well with a skirt.

Amother above responded well.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:28 am
She wears pajama pants to sleep. And when she is in her Pajamas all day at home. Outside its always a skirt.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 6:52 am
From 3. They almost always wear leggings or thick tights with a skirt, no problem playing and jumping and whatever.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 6:56 am
When my daughter started kindergarten, she started only wearing skirts/dresses. In the summer she sometimes went out to play in her pajama pants if it was close to bedtime.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 7:46 am
It's all minhag before 12, and after that it's all about your psak. But I don't start pants because I don't see a need.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:40 am
amother wrote:
Tons and tons of little girls do all the normal kid things in skirts and tights/leggings. I see it all the time. I go to the gym in a skirt and leggings. To each his own, but don't say it doesn't work when it obviously works for so many.

So if they are going to do all that and wear leggings anyway what’s the point of a skirt at age 3? That is so young.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 10:56 am
amother wrote:
So if they are going to do all that and wear leggings anyway what’s the point of a skirt at age 3? That is so young.

Because a man is not allowed to make a Bracha if he sees a girl that age not tznius, according to many poskim. I asked when my daughter turned 3 and was told usually from age 3. But if the kid is tiny then he said we can wait until 5. My kid is now almost 5 and looks like a 3 year old...

Besides she doesn't do somersault all day. We teach her that when she sits on the floor to make sure her dress is down. I do dresses and not skirts. Just because dresses are much neater. At age 6 or 7 we try to have her knees covered all the time.

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:13 am
At school my 5 year old is not allowed to wear pants. She grew out of most pants/leggings and I never bothered to buy the next size.
I asked her recently if she wanted to wear leggings on Sunday and she said no because everyone will look at her. I guess she realizes that other kids her age don’t wear and she would feel out of place.
So I do allow it, but I don’t think I she cares for it.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:53 am
Bracha wise, I was always told the man cannot see, hence he turns his head.

BUT please can someone tell my Goldale that she can't be so active in her skirt and tights, because kah she's hard to follow Wink

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 11:55 am
amother wrote:

In addition to amother aboves excellent response:

If you don't think 3 year old girls need to learn tznius to such a level, that's fine -- it's your choice, obviously. But please don't act like leggings make a skirt irrelevent. Leggings themselves are not tznius. Leggings under a skirt is more tznius especially if there is a chance of upper legs showing. This is why I wear leggings under a skirt to the gym. I would NEVER wear only leggings to the gym; the skirt is obviously crucial to tzniusdik. For those who hold that children should begin keeping mitzvos at age three, it's the same with little girls as with adults: skirts on girls are a given. The little girls start learning how to be tnznius in a skirt. They jump around and play: I build a loft over my bed. We all do fine in skirts. That's it.

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
Tons and tons of little girls do all the normal kid things in skirts and tights/leggings. I see it all the time. I go to the gym in a skirt and leggings. To each his own, but don't say it doesn't work when it obviously works for so many.

We do skirts early on. I am strict about not seeing legs.

But the truth is that many girls expose way too much playing as if they were wearing pants. I have seen even big girls on trampolines with skirts flying up, on tire swings, on rope climbs, swinging, in the gym, etc. I am talking about teenagers.

If DD is going to do an activity where her skirt can or will be lifted, she wears leggings underneath or she doesn't go. Some will say it is not as tznius as tights.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:43 pm
maroon amother- if its because a man can't say a bracha if she isn't dressed tznius then why doesn't she have to cover her knees until 6-7?

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
maroon amother- if its because a man can't say a bracha if she isn't dressed tznius then why doesn't she have to cover her knees until 6-7?

She wears thick tights and Her dress covers her knee when she is standing. Having her dress cover her knees at all time is something she needs to understand. Because she needs to be careful about it.. Its something I teach her to be careful about.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:52 pm
Squishy wrote:
We do skirts early on. I am strict about not seeing legs.

But the truth is that many girls expose way too much playing as if they were wearing pants. I have seen even big girls on trampolines with skirts flying up, on tire swings, on rope climbs, swinging, in the gym, etc. I am talking about teenagers.

If DD is going to do an activity where her skirt can or will be lifted, she wears leggings underneath or she doesn't go. Some will say it is not as tznius as tights.

I agree. Older girls should have already learned to be tnznius. Of course, there will be disagreements about tights/vs. leggings. Some hold by the custom of tights ONLY, but I don't think anyone would argue that a skirt over leggings is more tnznius than leggings alone:) I am with you -- tights/stockings are not tnzius enough when activities may expose glimpses of upper legs. I wear leggings with socks for such occasions, and also in the winter for warmth:)

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
I agree. Older girls should have already learned to be tnznius. Of course, there will be disagreements about tights/vs. leggings. Some hold by the custom of tights ONLY, but I don't think anyone would argue that a skirt over leggings is more tnznius than leggings alone:) I am with you -- tights/stockings are not tnzius enough when activities may expose glimpses of upper legs. I wear leggings with socks for such occasions, and also in the winter for warmth:)

Some will never put on leggings even for warmth. My daughter's school doesn't allow this. Better the girls freeze waiting for the bus.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:03 pm
thank you for clarifying maroon amother- that makes sense.

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:06 pm
Squishy wrote:
Some will never put on leggings even for warmth. My daughter's school doesn't allow this. Better the girls freeze waiting for the bus.

Can’t they change when they get to school? Same with boots/shoes.

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:22 pm
sequoia wrote:
Can’t they change when they get to school? Same with boots/shoes.

That's not an option as it is against school rules.

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:24 pm
Squishy wrote:
That's not an option as it is against school rules.

Very strange.

In the winter, outdoor and indoor clothing are different.

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:28 pm
sequoia wrote:
Very strange.

In the winter, outdoor and indoor clothing are different.

It is not so strange in the schools that have these rules. Strange would be leggings since they aren't done at home either. No one wants to be different than their peers in any event.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers