Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! Baby wakes at 5 am, and we get headaches!!

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 12:27 pm
My almost six month old has been waking at 5 am (no matter how early or late we put him to sleep). When my husband or I wake up with him, we get terrible headaches and nausea later on in the day!
Help! What am I supposed to do?
Should I sleep train? I used weissbluth's cio method for my oldest, but he was a year old. The baby sometimes sleeps a nice stretch from 6-12 but then wakes up at 3, and again at 5 for the day, no matter how I try to put him to bed later...

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:31 pm
Bump

chatz

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:40 pm
Is it an option for you to go to bed earlier? Or to take a nap during the day?

One of my children went through a phase where they woke up 5 am regularly. I just put up with it, folded a lot of laundry, and eventually they grew out of it..

newface34

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:41 pm
Could it be your baby is teething??
Can you and dh make sure to drink a big cup of water when you wake up at that time... Could be helpful to preventing headaches and neasua

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:43 pm
chatz wrote:
Is it an option for you to go to bed earlier? Or to take a nap during the day?

One of my children went through a phase where they woke up 5 am regularly. I just put up with it, folded a lot of laundry, and eventually they grew out of it..

Very hard to go to bed earlier. I can take a nap but it didn't prevent my headache. I was not functioning!

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:44 pm
newface34 wrote:
Could it be your baby is teething??
Can you and dh make sure to drink a big cup of water when you wake up at that time... Could be helpful to preventing headaches and neasua

Thanks for the tip about the water.
He might be teething but that can't be why he's waking early; sleeps nicely the rest of the night!

glowing1

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:46 pm
I had the same thing for a while. I put in any noise machine and I also made sure no sunlight was coming into the room by putting up room darkening shades. This helps significantly, and while my baby still won't sleep late no matter what, she wakes up after 6:30 and some days even 7:30. Before I darkened the room she was waking up 5 AM.

Surrendered

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 7:57 pm
You try to sleep when baby sleeps. If possible tmake early night or prepare a bottle, some toys for when he wakes up- so he can play quietly, until you're ready to capture the day. Maybe you can catch a catnap/20 minute power nap during the day.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:15 pm
glowing1 wrote:
I had the same thing for a while. I put in any noise machine and I also made sure no sunlight was coming into the room by putting up room darkening shades. This helps significantly, and while my baby still won't sleep late no matter what, she wakes up after 6:30 and some days even 7:30. Before I darkened the room she was waking up 5 AM.

What time did you out her to bed?

We already have a noise machine and blackout shades...
tonight he wanted to sleep at 6 pm which is an hour later than usual. Hoping he sleeps later too!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:

tonight he wanted to sleep at 6 pm which is an hour later than usual. Hoping he sleeps later too!

At 6 months, babies generally sleep 11 to 12 hours at night, plus naps.

If you’re putting Baby to bed at 5, of course she’s going to wake up for the day at 5! Even if she goes to bed at 6,she’s likely to be up at 5. Move her bedtime later. It will take a couple of weeks, but she’ll sleep later.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:

5 pm seems extremely early to put a baby to sleep for the night. If he’s going to sleep at 5 you can’t expect him to wake up later. He is getting 12 hours of sleep. I put my baby to sleep about 7:00.

You wrote that even when he goes to sleep later he still wakes up at 5, because he is used to waking up then. After a few days of putting him to sleep later consistently he should start waking up later.

In the meantime, when your baby goes back for his morning nap, make sure to go back to sleep as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics