Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is Yoga a halachic issue?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:48 pm
I may have heard that there is controversy over whether or not yoga is permitted. Any insight?

lavenderchimes

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:51 pm
I think it depends on what you mean by "yoga." There is no halachic issue with stretching or excercise. There is a problem with adopting another spiritual practice. There is no problem with working towards peace of body and mind. There is a problem with going to a co-ed class full of not tniusdik people.

Since yoga at it's root is another spiritual practice, it makes sense that many Rabonim would forbid it.

Last edited by lavenderchimes on Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Surrendered

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:52 pm
Certain steps in yoga are questionable. You need ti find out what yoga you wanna join and ask a sheila. Good luck, keep healthy!

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
I may have heard that there is controversy over whether or not yoga is permitted. Any insight?

Where I came from all yogas were given by people of a certain Same religion. I wish I knew that yoga is 100 percent acceptable. It seems to be a great thing

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:01 pm
It's the same thing as everything else.....Lots of frum jews do many things that other jews wouldn't allow. I'm sure Satmar chassidim won't be showing up at the gym for the yoga class. Does that mean it's a halachic issue?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:07 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Certain steps in yoga are questionable. You need ti find out what yoga you wanna join and ask a sheila. Good luck, keep healthy!

Ask whom? Which Brooklyn rov is experienced in this sheela

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:09 pm
We're not Satmar, but we won't be showing up at the yoga gym either. We think it's questionable, at best.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:12 pm
I was told as long as Avoda Zora elements are not brought into the class, it's okay.
But it's preferable for the instructor to be a believing Jew.

tichellady

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:16 pm
Where I live yoga is a form of exercise and mindfulness. The teachers are not Hindu and it’s totally mainstream for Jews to go to yoga classes.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
We're not Satmar, but we won't be showing up at the yoga gym either. We think it's questionable, at best.

If you listen to secular music, would allow children to go to a ballgame, have a TV and go to movies, then yoga is probably ok. I'm sure many people consider themselves frum and do/allow these things, and others don't. Yoga is no different.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:
If you listen to secular music, would allow children to go to a ballgame, have a TV and go to movies, then yoga is probably ok. I'm sure many people consider themselves frum and do/allow these things, and others don't. Yoga is no different.

the practice of yoga can have a spiritual/religious component which makes a bit different than secular music/ballgames/movies and TV.

pause

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:39 pm
amother wrote:
It's the same thing as everything else.....Lots of frum jews do many things that other jews wouldn't allow. I'm sure Satmar chassidim won't be showing up at the gym for the yoga class. Does that mean it's a halachic issue?

Ummm... what?

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:45 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I was told as long as Avoda Zora elements are not brought into the class, it's okay.
But it's preferable for the instructor to be a believing Jew.

How does the believing Jew know which steps copied from her non believing Jew are Hindu based and which are not?

tigerwife

Post Sat, Dec 02 2017, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:

Yoga is very different than all of the above, as its source is actual avoda Zara. You may want to ask a rav about a specific yoga class you want to attend, that has no religious or spiritualistic components.

I would prefer Pilates to yoga. Google each and see what comes up.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:11 am
I asked a shaila from a dayan and he said that as long as there's nothing in the room and you don't have any thoughts about it then it's fine

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:28 am
pause wrote:
Ummm... what?

What I'm saying is that I'm sure many groups of frum yidden will hold that yoga is permissible, and will claim their rabbanim allow it, and many groups of frum yidden will say that it's forbidden, and their rabbanim don't allow it (like the ultra chassidish). This is introduction to Judaism, very first class. Muter, and assur, often depends who you ask. I am certain that yoga falls into this category. There will not be 100% consensus. Agree?

pause

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:46 am
amother wrote:
What I'm saying is that I'm sure many groups of frum yidden will hold that yoga is permissible, and will claim their rabbanim allow it, and many groups of frum yidden will say that it's forbidden, and their rabbanim don't allow it (like the ultra chassidish). This is introduction to Judaism, very first class. Muter, and assur, often depends who you ask. I am certain that yoga falls into this category. There will not be 100% consensus. Agree?

Question
Assumption, much?
And why choose Satmar?

I'm sorry, but introduction to Judaism 101, first class, is actually love every Jew and respect them. Don't stereotype and make assumptions about groups of people you clearly don't know, just like you wouldn't want them to do about you.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:54 am
Ok. I'm satmar and I understand s'hot nisht geshmekt the use of Satmar. But can we stay focused on yoga please?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:00 am
pause wrote:
Question
Assumption, much?
And why choose Satmar?

I'm sorry, but introduction to Judaism 101, first class, is actually love every Jew and respect them. Don't stereotype and make assumptions about groups of people you clearly don't know, just like you wouldn't want them to do about you.

No assumptions- I do know that chassidish woman overwhelmingly wouldn't openly walk into a yoga class. I'm assuming you're disagreeing with this. I do think of Satmar to be a little more "chassidish" than the typical chasid so that's why I chose them. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I still stand by my original point that with regard to yoga that many jews on the far right wouldn't go, many jews on the far left would be ok with it, and the of the rest, some would and others wouldn't. I'm not saying we love any group any less. I'm just stating a fact about this whether frum jews would go to yoga.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:44 am
amother wrote:
No assumptions- I do know that chassidish woman overwhelmingly wouldn't openly walk into a yoga class. I'm assuming you're disagreeing with this. I do think of Satmar to be a little more "chassidish" than the typical chasid so that's why I chose them. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I still stand by my original point that with regard to yoga that many jews on the far right wouldn't go, many jews on the far left would be ok with it, and the of the rest, some would and others wouldn't. I'm not saying we love any group any less. I'm just stating a fact about this whether frum jews would go to yoga.

Many Jews on the far right wouldn't even know that yoga stems from avoda zora.
I'm chasidish. I always thought yoga was just a name of a type of exercise. I wouldn't even know it's a problem. Now is the first time I heard of it. I once attended a yoga class. The whole class was frum. No one thought it's an issue.

My daughters EI. OT therapist did baby yoga with my daughter. Would that be a problem too?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions