Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is Yoga a halachic issue?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

little neshamala

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:13 pm
I sometimes feel like im the only person who keeps shouting to ask your Rav when it comes to halacha. Every Rav paskens halacha differently, and theres no way any imamother can inform you on whether or not something like this is halachicly ok.

Im all for mentioning that yoga can be a halachic shayla so ask your Rav. But the debate that rages back and forth between women is laughable.

Its no different from any other halachic topic.

My Rav says:
Yoga is fine
I can touch my husband when nida in labor
I may not color sugar with chalk for sand art due to bal tashchis.
I can almost always use the macaroni I cooked in a fleishig pot with cheese.
I need to put edible bread larger than a kezayis outside for the birds and should not rely on the kula of double wrapping it when disposing of it.
Wearing a natural looking shaitel is totally fine.
A hargasha is defined as the sensation of blood leaving my body and is therefor very possible to feel.
I can have a heavy flow and wear a pad and still not be nida, within certain parameters.
I can dip in the mikva with mascara residues on if I cant see its on.
To transfer an oven from milchig to fleishig turn it to highest temp for 45 min.
Chanuka gift are totally fine and theres no chukas hagoyim issue.

These are just examples.

Other Rabbanim may agree with some of my list, and disagree with others, whether to be machmir or maykil.

But I doubt anyone here can start debating anything of what I posted. How could you possibly have the knowledge a Rav has?

Same thing with yoga.

Lets just say....yoga may very well be a halachic problem. Go ask your Rav.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
True. He will ask me info about it and do some research and then call back my husband and tell his psak.

Still don't understand why you called me naive. I still believe most chasidish dayanim don't know what the word yoga means. And most chasidish women don't even know there is even a shayla to ask regarding yoga.

You said that heart pendants oruginate from AZ. I explained that people refrain from it for different reasons.
I live between people that question yoga much before the AZ question comes in. They have asked thier Dayunim so many times its nearly impossible that a dayan from a big chassidishe kehilla shouldn't have had this question many times.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
Educate me plz. Why am I clueless?

I reread your posts.
A. I'm not sure you really want to be educated. Smile
B. I'm not sure I want this thread to turn into a 'who's more farfrumt than whom' thread. Smile

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:22 pm
crust wrote:
You said that heart pendants oruginate from AZ. I explained that people refrain from it for different reasons.
I live between people that question yoga much before the AZ question comes in. They have askede thier Dayunim so many times its nearly impossible that a dayan from a big chassidishe kehilla shouldn't have had this question many times.

Just for the record, people don't wear a heart necklace because it's used for avoda zara and they view it just like a cross.

Why would there be a question regarding yoga besides for AZ. I also live in a large chasidish kehila.

crust

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
Just for the record, people don't wear a heart necklace because it's used for avoda zara and they view it just like a cross.

That was my point. You asked if we have to make heart necklace wearers aware that its AZ. I pointed out that its what you know. Its not what everyone else including other people that dont wear them- knows.

I would like to hear your sources on how this originates from AZ but I dont want to derail this thread.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:32 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I sometimes feel like im the only person who keeps shouting to ask your Rav when it comes to halacha. Every Rav paskens halacha differently, and theres no way any imamother can inform you on whether or not something like this is halachicly ok.

Im all for mentioning that yoga can be a halachic shayla so ask your Rav. But the debate that rages back and forth between women is laughable.

Its no different from any other halachic topic.

My Rav says:
Yoga is fine
I can touch my husband when nida in labor
I may not color sugar with chalk for sand art due to bal tashchis.
I can almost always use the macaroni I cooked in a fleishig pot with cheese.
I need to put edible bread larger than a kezayis outside for the birds and should not rely on the kula of double wrapping it when disposing of it.
Wearing a natural looking shaitel is totally fine.
A hargasha is defined as the sensation of blood leaving my body and is therefor very possible to feel.
I can have a heavy flow and wear a pad and still not be nida, within certain parameters.
I can dip in the mikva with mascara residues on if I cant see its on.
To transfer an oven from milchig to fleishig turn it to highest temp for 45 min.
Chanuka gift are totally fine and theres no chukas hagoyim issue.

These are just examples.

Other Rabbanim may agree with some of my list, and disagree with others, whether to be machmir or maykil.

But I doubt anyone here can start debating anything of what I posted. How could you possibly have the knowledge a Rav has?

Same thing with yoga.

Lets just say....yoga may very well be a halachic problem. Go ask your Rav.

Thank you. This is what I was thinking, but didn't yet have the energy to write. This argument/discussion is pointless -- as with all other halachic topics. If you think it's no problem, do it. If you aren't sure, ask your Rav. Let each hold her own. Shalom❤️

tigerwife

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:32 pm
How different does yoga and Pilates feel? Is there a reason someone would choose yoga versus Pilates, especially once they are aware of the source? Obviously, you need to ask your own sheilah. But if you do not ask someone knowledgeable, I'm not sure how much it counts.

Last edited by tigerwife on Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:35 pm
crust wrote:
To think that the reason chassidishe dayunim pasken l'kulah on Yoga is because they don't know the AZ aspect of it- is being naive about the chassidishe poskim.

You misunderstood me. I never said they Paskin l'kulah or how they pasken. I agree that a chasidish dayen will make his research before paskening.
A posters said chasidish women wouldn't enter a yoga class. So as a chasidish women I explained that they would because they wouldn't know it's a problem and wouldn't think to ask. And many chasidish dayanim don't know what yoga means...I'm sure they would do their research and find out what it means if I were to ask...

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:

Why would there be a question regarding yoga besides for AZ. I also live in a large chasidish kehila.

I almost don't want to get involved, but this came up earlier and I can't understand how people wear a cross without it having anything to do wih Xianity. Someone mentioned upthread that a cross was "just jewelry," but EVERYONE I know who wears a cross does so for religious reasons.

How is this comparable to wearing a heart, which symbolizes love, which is an emotion not specific to any religion? I mean, if people want to wear a heart or not it's fine with me -- I just can't see how a heart is "just like" a cross when the latter is blatantly Xian.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:43 pm
tigerwife wrote:
How different does yoga and Pilates feel? Is there a reason someone would choose yoga versus Pilates, especially once they are aware of the source? Obviously, you need to ask your own sheilah. But if you do not ask someone knowledgeable, I'm not sure how much it counts.

Sometimes there is only one frum exercise class available in your area, and you just go to whatever is available.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 12:59 pm
Quote:
Yoga postures are one small part of a complex spiritual practice, mainly associated with the Hindu religion in India but also with other cultures including Buddhism and Jainism.

I did yoga for a while. A friend found a teacher and asked her not to name anything questionable like sun pose, per her Rov's instructions.

However, I go to a chiropractor who uses many different types of alternative methods. She researched each one carefully, and consults with Rabbonim. She feels that Reiki, for example, is too entangled in AZ symbolism to be able to extract the non-AZ part, although I think there are those (who are knowledgeable) who do permit it.

Anyhow, after I attended several yoga classes, my chiropractor said to me, "You're coming in here with more aches and pains each time. What I think is this. Yoga is part of a system, which includes diet, aryuvedic medicine, meditation, and spiritual practices. You can't necessarily just pull out the exercise part (including deep breathing & relaxation) and get the proper benefit from it. I just don't think it's working for you."

OTOH she was very into my finding a class in Qi Gong (which I've been trying to do for quite some time. There was a Tai Chi class offered locally, which is similar, I think, but the timing didn't work for me.)

But hey - what connection does a heart have to AZ? Not that I know a lot about AZ. Do you mean like the guy for whom the names Valentine's day?

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:11 pm
So, no-one answered my question - have Chassidishe dayanim paskened that yoga is Ok? I'm not bashing anyone, I'm really wondering.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:25 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
So, no-one answered my question - have Chassidishe dayanim paskened that yoga is Ok? I'm not bashing anyone, I'm really wondering.

I don't think anyone on this thread asked...to know what the chasidish dyen paskened....

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:27 pm
tigerwife wrote:

They’re completely different IME, I love yoga and don’t enjoy Pilates at all.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:

But hey - what connection does a heart have to AZ? Not that I know a lot about AZ. Do you mean like the guy for whom the names Valentine's day?

I'm not one of them, but they claim it's used with the AZ, the same way a cross is used. Was never there so wouldn't know....

cbg

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:03 pm
You need to ask your Rabbi/Rebbe
But I saw this and thought it was interesting
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....51863
Nevertheless you need to ask you Rabbi.
Also this
2017-11-29-PHOTO-00000697.jpg

Last edited by cbg on Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 2:05 pm
tigerwife wrote:

I'm not an expert on Pilates and yoga but from my limited experience it seems that with yoga I come away feeling more stretched (and relaxed) and with Pilates I come away more toned. But you will also get the toning with yoga and stretching with Pilates. They are very different types of workouts.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 3:46 pm
cm wrote:
Yoga postures are one small part of a complex spiritual practice, mainly associated with the Hindu religion in India but also with other cultures including Buddhism and Jainism.

I used to practice yoga as exercise, but discontinued largely because of my concerns about avoda zara (I'm MO, if it matters). There is also a raging debate going on about cultural appropriation. When one aspect of yoga is stripped of its other cultural meanings and used in totally different ways, it is (or can be interpreted to be) disrespectful to the original culture. I am ambivalent about all this, but it is something to take into consideration. To me, asanas don't feel religious, so it's just exercise, right? Well, consider how you would feel, as a religious Jew, if your religious practices were used in totally inappropriate ways. I saw a clip of a non-Jewish pop star chanting the Shema with his team before going on stage. Ok, or not?

I'm of the school that using exercises, when presented by someone who knows how to filter them and will not have AZ in mind, is fine. I do have to say, reading your post, that though I think one can go overboard with cultural appropriation concerns, it might be valid here. If it bothers those for whom yoga is religious service.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 5:16 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Yes I'm chassidish and when I asked him if I'm allowed to do yoga he asked me what it is I explained him and he told me that as long as there's no AZ in the room and there's no AZ phrases mentioned I'm allowed. But I feel now that I should ask him again and have him watch the you tube clip someone mentioned here

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 03 2017, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
I know a lot of people who wouldn't wear a heart necklace because it's used for avoda zara. Just like a cross.

What lower-case god is worshipped by wearing a heart necklace?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions