Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Doc said baby isn't gaining properly. I feel like a failure.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 8:35 am
My 9-month-old baby has been on the skinnier side for a while. He's not a big eater. While I was nursing, I had plenty of milk, and he gained decently just from the amount that he did eat. I stopped nursing at 7.5 months, and now, at his 9-month appointment, the doctor said he hasn't gained.

I feel like such a failure... am I starving my kid? But he's just not a big eater! The doctor said he should still be drinking 32 ounces of formula a day. I can barely get him to take 20! And when I try to feed him solids, he just doesn't take that much. I don't know what to do with him:(

crust

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
My 9-month-old baby has been on the skinnier side for a while. He's not a big eater. While I was nursing, I had plenty of milk, and he gained decently just from the amount that he did eat. I stopped nursing at 7.5 months, and now, at his 9-month appointment, the doctor said he hasn't gained.

I feel like such a failure... am I starving my kid? But he's just not a big eater! The doctor said he should still be drinking 32 ounces of formula a day. I can barely get him to take 20! And when I try to feed him solids, he just doesn't take that much. I don't know what to do with him:(

Give him chocolate. Wink
A few of my kids were 14 pds when they were one year old. If they ate too much they would vomit. To get them to gain was At wits end
Bh I learned that being off the chart is okay as long as this child constantly grows on the same pace and doesn't fall even lower.

Today, my grocery bill is almost bigger than my mortgage!! Can't have enough food to feed everyone here k"eh!! Yes they still are petite but healthy BH.

Whatever you feed him make sure it's full of nutrients and calories. What else can you do?

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 9:00 am
Don't be too hard on yourself -- you baby is just having a hard time transitioning from breast milk, which is totally understandable. Did your Dr. seem worried? Or have any suggestions? I have friends whose baby girl wasn't gaining properly, and they were advised to let her eat straight butter to out on some weight -- they said it was gross to watch! B"H, she caught up fine and is now a beautiful, healthy, happy little girl.

iyar

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 9:26 am
Ouch. I'm not an expert nutritionist specializing in child care. Just a mother. I was so sorry to read you feel like a failure. There'll be plenty of time for that when your adorable little baby morphs into an insolent teenager. JK. Seriously, you are not a failure. Repeat 3 X. Or as many times as you feel necessary. If baby is developing nicely in other ways, responding to you, seems happy and content for a good part of his day, don't obsess over his size. He'll be fine.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 9:31 am
Never push food or milk down your baby’s throat!
Let him eat at his own pace!!
Please!

One of my sons ate so little and was so scrawny that I got concerning comments from everyone, including my pediatrician.

But I knew he’s a healthy, active child.

Just make sure he gets some nutrients every day, and is active and happy, and ignore everyone.

My son today is still very skinny and a small eater, but he’s growing ok and totally fine bh!

water_bear88

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 9:33 am
What solids are you giving him? Vegetable purees don't add much, nutrient-wise, and they're blander than breastmilk. Babies shouldn't have much (any?)added salt, but most other spices are fine. Try mashing roasted sweet potato with butter and a pinch of cinnamon or ginger. Avocado is a wonderful source of healthy fat. Scrambled eggs are good finger food at 9 months; make sure you leave the yolks in or even add one.

keym

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 9:40 am
Agree with previous posters. Offer nutritious food with good fats. Many 9 month olds eat cheese or yogurt. Avocado. Bread with butter. Bamba. Ask your dr when you could start fish. Salmon is great. Potato kugel.
Let the kid play and explore with the food in his high chair and dont stress about him eating it. He may surprise you and eat the weirdest most ransom table foods.

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:33 am
Some kids are just not big eaters! There are special nutritional supplement formulas - ask your doctor if you should invest in those (like formulas with double the calorie content). If he seems satisfied, drinks his bottles, and eats some solid food, I'd just monitor it.

Don't feel like a failure. In fact, your kid is precociously acting like a picky grade-schooler! say, "wow, my kid is smarter than the other kids. He already knows his food preferences!"

sneakermom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:59 am
All my kids thinned out when I weaned them. But my doctor is very chilled and never made me feel bad about it. I just thought it’s a stage and it will pass, and it did.

I kept putting out for them a variety of foods and eventually they found their own way with the food. I never made a fuss about it and they are all normal eaters today.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 5:49 pm
My baby actually finally started gaining weight on formula.

But really op, are you so great that you can regulate your baby’s weight?? Your trying your best what more can you do?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics