Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Latkes in the crockpot?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:37 am
I don't have a stovetop as of right now. For fleishig I've been cooking in my crockpot and grill (like a George Foreman). Chanuka is next week and I wanted to make latkes. I can maybe, maybe make it on the grill, but latkes needs oil otherwise what's the point. Can I make it in the crockpot? I know it will take sometime, but do you think it will work or more so, is it dangerous? I have made potato kugel there, but this is frying, so it's different.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:39 am
Two years ago I had a baby 2 days before Chanukah. I made the batter and filled well oiled muffin tins and baked them. They were yummy!

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:51 am
yo'ma wrote:
I don't have a stovetop as of right now. For fleishig I've been cooking in my crockpot and grill (like a George Foreman). Chanuka is next week and I wanted to make latkes. I can maybe, maybe make it on the grill, but latkes needs oil otherwise what's the point. Can I make it in the crockpot? I know it will take sometime, but do you think it will work or more so, is it dangerous? I have made potato kugel there, but this is frying, so it's different.

I would spray the grill with an oil spray and grill it.

penguin

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:54 am
yo'ma, do you have an oven?
Then little cupcakes should work pretty nicely.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 11:57 am
A typical crockpot does not get hot enough for frying. Grill makes more sense.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
I would spray the grill with an oil spray and grill it.

penguin wrote:
yo'ma, do you have an oven?
Then little cupcakes should work pretty nicely.

Same as making it in the oven, what's the point if it barely has oil. The point of making them is for the oil. I never understood the point of making donuts for chanukah, but you bake it.
I have an oven for milichig. That's not a problem. It's if I want for fleishig. No fleishig oven right now. No gas Mad !

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:01 pm
Can you get a plug in burner?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:01 pm
cm wrote:
A typical crockpot does not get hot enough for frying. Grill makes more sense.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Thanks. I have made pasta in the crockpot, but I pour boiled water from an electric kettle. Can't do that with oil.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:02 pm
Donuts are fried.

Is purchasing a portable electric burner an option?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Can you get a plug in burner?

When the gas went off, we were going to get one, but I said we'll survive without it. That was the end of July. I'm hoping we'll have it back by next week, but it's extremely unlikely. We'll still survive without one. I was in an electronic store today and did think of buying one. I think the moment I buy one, the gas will come back on. Hmm, maybe then I should Smile .

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:04 pm
cm wrote:
Donuts are fried.

I know they are, except when people say they don't want to fry them, only bake them and then make it specifically for chanuka. I really don't care they do that, but to me, it makes no sense.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:08 pm
Get the burner. You can use it every year after you've kashered your stove for pesach, but still need to cook some chometz.

iyar

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:22 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Two years ago I had a baby 2 days before Chanukah. I made the batter and filled well oiled muffin tins and baked them. They were yummy!

Lymnok,
You gave birth to a baby TWO DAYS before Chanukah.
And you made latkes for your family?!
I don't care if you fried, baked, grilled or microwaved them.
Wow. Just wow.
You meet the most amazing mothers on imamother.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:43 pm
Use the grill (make sure surface is flat so it holds the batter). The crockpot latkes will be very sad tasting and looking.

iammom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:59 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Sounds so good! Did they come out like muffins or did you only put enough batter to cover the bottom?

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:01 pm
if you are gonna use a crock pot for latkes, just forget the latkes this yr.

you can bake for a healthier version, use a grill and be creative but you cannot use a crock pot. Either forget about it or buy them ready made.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:08 pm
I make latkes special for Chanukah because it's a treat for my kids and husband and they wait for it. Its still a mitzvah, because I'm making them happy! I don't care how much oil it has. Latkes is a minhag regardless. And if you grill it with oil and put oil on the grill thats oil to me.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:28 pm
iammom wrote:
Sounds so good! Did they come out like muffins or did you only put enough batter to cover the bottom?

They actually shrink quite a bit, so though I filled them 1/3 to halfway, I could have filled them to the top. Since there was a decent amount of oil in the pan, they came out crispy on the outside and mushy inside.
(I will likely do the same or similar this year since I also just had a baby five days ago.)

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
I make latkes special for Chanukah because it's a treat for my kids and husband and they wait for it. Its still a mitzvah, because I'm making them happy! I don't care how much oil it has. Latkes is a minhag regardless. And if you grill it with oil and put oil on the grill thats oil to me.

it's not a mitzvah to eat latkes!

(it is a mitzvah to light the menorah, to say hallel...)

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
it's not a mitzvah to eat latkes!

(it is a mitzvah to light the menorah, to say hallel...)

Its a mitzvah to keep minhagim,
And it's a mitzvah to make kids and DH happy. (Stop being so propper Wink )
You don't need to worry if the latkes have enough oil, or there is no point in the latkes...there is a point.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen