Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you volunteer to visit prisoners?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
I don't want to be tracked down once they get out. I have a family. Hug all you want.

Sheesh.. chill lady.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:15 am
happyone wrote:
I can get you a number of a woman that arranges visits to a frum woman in a Westchester County prison. Is that in your area ?

Not exactly my area, I'd have to travel to any prison and Westchester is not too terribly far.
May I pm you?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
No way. What if they track you down?

WHAT? Track down the nice lady who visited them in prison? What for? I can see lawyers and law enforcement being concerned with a violent prisoner seeking revenge. But someone who showed them complete kindness? Plus, I don't think you'd be visiting a lot of ax murderers.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:20 am
I wouldn’t go alone. Maybe if I had some friends or a group going I would join. But I don’t think I am the right type of person for this job. My husband been a few times to visit people.

crust

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:25 am
Amother navy do you mind enlightening us? Did such a thing happen in the past? A regular prisoner, not a criminal, tracked down an innocent visitor?

Last edited by crust on Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
I wouldn’t go alone. Maybe if I had some friends or a group going I would join. But I don’t think I am the right type of person for this job. My husband been a few times to visit people.

I don't want to go alone. I'm trying to reach out to women who go and find a partner or group to join (but right now I would love to talk to someone and see if this is something I can do too).

simba

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:26 am
I wôuld go if I had time. I have been penpals with prisoners before. Was setup through Alef. Regular people who made poor choices or bad luck.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
I don't want to go alone. I'm trying to reach out to women who go and find a partner or group to join (but right now I would love to talk to someone and see if this is something I can do too).

I might join you.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:14 am
You asked - I replied.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
I might join you.

Good to know. Thanks for the support

Smile

crust

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:30 am
amother navy wrote:
You asked - I replied.

Being afraid that something 'can' happen is different than sharing that it happened to you.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:07 pm
Thanks to this thread, I emailed alef last night and was already contacted by them. Thanks!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:11 pm
watergirl wrote:
Thanks to this thread, I emailed alef last night and was already contacted by them. Thanks!

Was this about visiting or a penpal?

I"m not up to visiting, but I did try to arrange a pen pal through their program without success.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
Was this about visiting or a penpal?

I"m not up to visiting, but I did try to arrange a pen pal through their program without success.

I’m open to both. What happened to the penpal program with you?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
I don't want to be tracked down once they get out. I have a family. Hug all you want.

Lol. You watch go many movies. Anyway, why would they track you down? To send you a thank you note? I think you can handle that.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:15 pm
simba wrote:
I wôuld go if I had time. I have been penpals with prisoners before. Was setup through Alef. Regular people who made poor choices or bad luck.

I always wanted to do the pen pal thing with prisoners. Was it a one way thing or did the prisoners respond to your letters?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:16 pm
watergirl wrote:
I’m open to both. What happened to the penpal program with you?

The person doing the arranging seemed disinterested, honestly. I had to keep pursuing her to get set up (and this was after responding directly to an appeal for more pen-pals).

She finally set me up with someone who would be out in 2 months (it can take a month just for letters to get through), which was kind of pointless. You also get to indicate if you don't want to be set up with someone charged with a violent crime, which I selected, but the name I got was someone imprisoned for severe violence.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
You asked - I replied.

Can’t believe people are shocked or upset about Amother Navy’s comment. It’s a perfectly logical reason to not want to meet a convicted criminal. Too close for comfort.

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:54 pm
I have visited prisoners and wrote letters. It is a mitzvah you earn.

The prisoners are eager for contact from the outside, and they are very grateful. They are so needy that it is easy to be sucked in.

If anyone is seriously thinking of doing this and has questions, I could try to answer what to expect when you go via p.m.. I know I was not prepared.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:00 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Can’t believe people are shocked or upset about Amother Navy’s comment. It’s a perfectly logical reason to not want to meet a convicted criminal. Too close for comfort.

What do you mean? I don't understand at all the logic in this.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette