Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What would you do?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:53 am
If the bus driver is part of the problem is he employed by the school or the bus company that has you sons school route?

If the bus driver isn't part of the school maybe call the bus company and ask to make sure the windows are open because your son had allergy issues to dust and needs air.

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
If the bus driver is part of the problem is he employed by the school or the bus company that has you sons school route?

If the bus driver isn't part of the school maybe call the bus company and ask to make sure the windows are open because your son had allergy issues to dust and needs air.

If the driver is part of a bus company, v call the bus company and tell them that of they don't rectify the problem immediately, you will take further action.

If the driver works for a municipality, call the supervisor immediately.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:35 am
Call the school and the bus company. Tell them that you smelled the vapor on your child's clothing, and that steps need to be taken to stop vaping on the bus. I would point out that your child has asthma, that second hand smoke from vaping has not been shown to be safe around asthmatic children, and that if your child has an attack or otherwise becomes ill because of this, you'll be bringing a claim.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:22 pm
Also, you should point out that no one under the age of 18 has any business vaping, period.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Also, you should point out that no one under the age of 18 has any business vaping, period.

Yeah this. What's with all the pandering to these teenage bullies? What's with everyone being too afraid to stand up to them? What's with it being just about your kid's asthma instead of what is legally and morally correct?

(I realize that if *I* had more backbone I'd use my screen name to post this, but still..)

Remember the only way that evil people succeed is when good people do nothing to stop them.

ETA I decided to have some guts and post in my screen name. Hope that gives op courage to do what is right

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:52 pm
OP, you need to report this to the school and the bus company.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:08 pm
op here- I want to report it so badly but my ds is petrified he will get into trouble from other kids. It's very easy for them to figure out who it is...the older boys would never snitch on their friends. THe bus driver told the kids if anyone snitches he will not let them on the bus. My Ds didn't even want me to tell dh, he is so scared..these kids can make his life miserable, it's not a big school. My dh says eventually will have to report it...so unfair that we have to deal with this..bullying in school , out of school. I remember asking the hanahala before I registered, is there any smoking in the school and they assured me there wasn't, I never thought I would have to worry about vaping!

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:18 pm
This is a teachable moment for your son. To learn how to stand up for what is right. Not what is easy. Help him, guide him, support him. Make him feel good about you doing the right thing.

Don't muck this up op - the future goodness of the world depends on little things like this.

ETA if I can say this is my screen name you can stand up to the bullies.

This is literally how you save the world.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
op here- I want to report it so badly but my ds is petrified he will get into trouble from other kids. It's very easy for them to figure out who it is...the older boys would never snitch on their friends. THe bus driver told the kids if anyone snitches he will not let them on the bus. My Ds didn't even want me to tell dh, he is so scared..these kids can make his life miserable, it's not a big school. My dh says eventually will have to report it...so unfair that we have to deal with this..bullying in school , out of school. I remember asking the hanahala before I registered, is there any smoking in the school and they assured me there wasn't, I never thought I would have to worry about vaping!

I'm disgusted by all of this. Boys smoking and bullying. (Vaping is smoking. Let's not pretend this is a healthy habit). Bus driver enabling and threatening. And your child terrified, wanting to say nothing while his health is at risk.
This is crazy. Really.
Come up with a plan. Notify the school and bus company. Ask what will be done about it. Those boys parents should be notified. Please be strong and do not let them get away with this.

centurion

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 6:02 pm
amother wrote:

Why is the driver threatening the kids? That in and of itself should be reported. So should the threats from the kids. It's bad enough he feels medically unsafe, why should he also feel emotionally unsafe? Never mind how wrong it is that kids are vaping...

lucky14

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:08 pm
Sorry you (& your son) have to go through this but you need to report this. This is horrible. Is your son really THE only one who would tell on these boys? How would they find out it was him (seriously. write an anonymous letter if you have to but do SOMETHING). Bus driver needs to be fired, boys need to be stopped.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 8:05 am
amother wrote:

OP, you really need to report this. This isn't just kids bullying kids. This is a hired employee who is supposed to ensure the safety of his passengers and is complicit in harming them. It needs to be done ASAP.

Is there another way to get your child to and from school?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 3:17 pm
op here- So I finally called the principal. He was surprised and will think of a way to address it without involving my son and he assured me that it has no affect whatsoever on my sons asthma. Apparently vaping is water vapor that is why it's a healthy alternative to smoking..I should take it up myself, it might relieve my stress !

WhatFor

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 3:31 pm
OP- I'm sorry but you need to consult with your ds's doctor to find out if it's dangerous. According to the American Academy of Asthma and Immunology, it can be problematic. ARE ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES SAFE FOR THOSE WITH ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA?

If you google it, all the first sites that pop up are saying it's great and look at the source- they all market vapes or nicotine. Like when cig companies used to tell everyone nicotine was healthy.

Does the city pay for the school's bus transportation? Bc if so, you can threaten to report to the city if this doesn't stop immediately.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 3:34 pm
Op here..I tried calling 2 doctors today..nobodies in..trust me, I want to hear it from them..this is private transpo

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
op here- So I finally called the principal. He was surprised and will think of a way to address it without involving my son and he assured me that it has no affect whatsoever on my sons asthma. Apparently vaping is water vapor that is why it's a healthy alternative to smoking..I should take it up myself, it might relieve my stress !

Good that he will address it but SERIOUSLY??????? A healthy alternative to smoking?????? Even if this were technically correct (which I doubt) there is so much wrong if that is the principal's attitude.

I'd be looking to change schools.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:06 pm
op here. I think that when I called the principal, I shocked him and he was trying not to have me worry about my son's health. When he called me back just now, he had already called the bus company and the manager gave it to his drivers for allowing the boys to vape. Apparently , he is going to get the names of the boys who vape from the drivers and they are going to speak to each boy. THen I gave him a whole speech and how he has no concrete proof that second hand vaping is harmless and he told me I'm absolutely right. My only worry now is if the boys and drivers think my son is the snitch and make his life miserable..there is no other way for me to get him to school. Thanks for the support..parenting is not easy!

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:12 pm
So glad to hear that op.

Kol hakavod that you did the right thing!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:18 pm
OP, I am SO PROUD OF YOU! That was a really scary thing you did. You not only stuck up for your son, but for the other boys who are bothered by the vaping and afraid to say so.

Whether they care or not, you've also stuck up for the health of the vaping boys. Children do not have the reasoning to research the pros and cons of substance use, or the seichel to use what they learn about it. That's why they can't buy cigarettes until they turn 18, and can't have beer until they're 21. (Why they get to drive at 16 is beyond me, but that's another rant for another day.)

Vaping is LESS harmful than smoking, but nobody with half a brain can say that it is totally harmless. If someone says it aggrivates their asthma, you don't need a study to believe them, just believe them!

BTW, I vape. Only with the window open, never on the street, and certainly never around kids! If an adult chooses to do something that may affect others, they need to be responsible enough to keep it to themselves.

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 6:47 pm
If the bus driver is supplying the kids, next he'll offer them canabis and possibly CVS worse. If he gets just one kid hooked how are you going to feel

This is not a good situation, and Hashem is giving you the job to be the Shaliach in not only saving your son, but also the other boys.

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE
REPORT THE DRIVER ASAP
You MUST

If you can't report him, PM me the info and I'll report him and his threats.

And, YOU DONT NEED TO TELL YOUR SON ABOUT IT
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics