Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Emailing Peeves: What are yours?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:12 pm
Boca00 wrote:
This. Except it's not all that interesting being on hold. Maybe static-y classical music is an acquired taste, idk.

I vote for more interesting hold music or at the very least, comedy sketches.

Yes, I feel the same. I meant that sarcastically.
The one and only that I really want should just keep going and noone should pick up the phone is the one that sings "Smile, what's the use of crying? You'll find that life is still worthwhile, If you just smile... Music love it. But I digress.

Boca00

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:13 pm
Hmm we must not be calling the same companies. I don't get anything nearly that interesting.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:19 pm
I also hate when I don’t click reply to all by mistake. I don’t know why outlook doesn’t make it a default as opposed to reply being the default or the first option

I am guilty to calling someone out in an email who it was sent to. When everyone is sent an email sometimes no one responds cause they think someone else will. If I know that someone else has better info than I why not direct the email to them

Boca00

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:22 pm
I hate that it is very hard to follow email threads in Gmail. I have to go searching through old email threads to see which email was sent in response to what.

ImaMum

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 6:08 pm
essie14 wrote:

Calling in response to an e mail. There's a reason I want this conversation in writing. The response I need is simple, just reply and let's finish this.

This!!

Also when chasing up people and they say they didnt get my email....but I received a "read" receipt from you Rolling Eyes

WhatFor

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
I just did this. embarrassed I needed to email pictures to an insurance company and it didn't let me load more than 4 pictures because otherwise it exceeded the 25MB allowance for messages. Not only that, but I needed to delete the message from my inbox in order for it to allow me to send the next message with another 4 pictures. I sent three emails, 12 pictures, in total.

If it's a legitimate reason like that, it doesn't bother me as much. But if I were the sender, I might try to resize the photos. If I couldn't, then I'd explain and also the subject would say (subject -1) (subject-2) etc., so the recipient has an easy time putting it together.

ggdm

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:20 pm
When people reply to a mailing list (like employees@company.com) with stuff like "why am I on this list" (cause we all are), "take me off this list" (ask the admin), "did you realize you just sent your reply to the list" (so did you), "hi, how are you" (you just asked 1000 people).

When I ask 5 questions and get only 2 answers. When I ask again with NUMBERED questions and still don't get all questions answered. When I ask 3 questions and get the one-word reply "yes". To which???

When people don't use a salutation. It's not messenger. When people don't write their name at the end, especially if it's not obvious from the address.

When I am misgendered by people, especially inside the company. Come on, use the employee listing to find out my gender. Or google my first name. It's very definitely a female name. [fun vengeance: misgender them back!]

When people ask me things they could find out by simply googling. Especially if it is someone I cannot reply to with lmgtfy.com .

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:50 pm
Getting emails that say " please call me". Just either pick up the phone yourself and dial my number or just email me !!!

Smileys:)

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:40 pm
Email stating "Please see attached....." With no attachment!!!

Boca00

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:55 pm
Smileys:) wrote:

And this is one thing I love about gmail. If you write please see attached and try to send without attachment, a message pops up to remind you to attach the file.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
I just did this. embarrassed I needed to email pictures to an insurance company and it didn't let me load more than 4 pictures because otherwise it exceeded the 25MB allowance for messages. Not only that, but I needed to delete the message from my inbox in order for it to allow me to send the next message with another 4 pictures. I sent three emails, 12 pictures, in total.

When I do that I write 1 of 3, 2 or 3, and 3 of 3 in my subject lines.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:10 am
ggdm wrote:

When I ask 5 questions and get only 2 answers. When I ask again with NUMBERED questions and still don't get all questions answered. When I ask 3 questions and get the one-word reply "yes". To which???

This JUST happened to me yesterday. I was like "seriously?"
Then I had to e mail back "yes to question 2?" And in fact no, she meant yes to question 3, while STILL ignoring the rest of the e mail!!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:15 am
ggdm wrote:

When people don't use a salutation. It's not messenger.

I'm guilty of this one. My work has me emailing distinguished people and I find myself stuck. If a famous rosh yeshiva signs his emails "Yaakov" and I'm not even comfortable with "Rav Yaakov," what are my options? Yes, I could keep writing, Dear Rabbi Lastname, but it would be awkward once he's signing off with only his first name. So no salutations in those circumstances.

iammom

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:27 am
Boca00 wrote:
And this is one thing I love about gmail. If you write please see attached and try to send without attachment, a message pops up to remind you to attach the file.

You can set this up in Outlook as well.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:32 am
amother wrote:
I'm guilty of this one. My work has me emailing distinguished people and I find myself stuck. If a famous rosh yeshiva signs his emails "Yaakov" and I'm not even comfortable with "Rav Yaakov," what are my options? Yes, I could keep writing, Dear Rabbi Lastname, but it would be awkward once he's signing off with only his first name. So no salutations in those circumstances.

If you are responding to something, you can drop the "dear" but you should still address by name (I agree formerly for Rosh Yeshiva) fbefore jumping into your message.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:44 am
amother wrote:
If you are responding to something, you can drop the "dear" but you should still address by name (I agree formerly for Rosh Yeshiva) fbefore jumping into your message.

I'm more comfortable beginning with something like "thanks for getting back to me" as a start. If the rosh yeshiva signs Firstname Lastname, then I can write Dear Rabbi Lastname. But once he uses a first name only, it seems disrespectful to insist on my way of doing things.

This should be my biggest problem in life.

queene

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 12:52 am
When people start another discussion in a previous email thread that is only slightly related at first. It then gets less related to the subject line and a few emails later you can't understand why this email is under this subject! Then when you are skimming your emails to go back to it you don't even know which one it is that you need!
Please keep the body of the email related to the subject or start a new email!

salt

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 6:43 am
Smileys:) wrote:

In recent versions of Outlook, when you press Send, if it detects the word "attach", "attached" or "attachment" in your email text, it asks you in a pop-up message box "should be be attaching something, or do you want to send anyway" - it's very useful.
Sometimes it's wrong, because you may have used the word "attach" in a different context, and not be intending to attach anything, but it's a clever idea.
ETA sorry someone already wrote that above.

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:00 am
Boca00 wrote:
I hate that it is very hard to follow email threads in Gmail. I have to go searching through old email threads to see which email was sent in response to what.

Change your settings

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 7:07 am
I can't figure out why people begin a message with "my name is...". That information is already next to the sender's address and in the signature.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette