Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is the USA About to Recognize Jerusalem as Israel's Capitol?

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 11:59 am
"On Monday at midnight, the Trump Administration moved one step closer to recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and moving the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Midnight was the deadline for signing a waiver that allows the U.S. to keep its embassy in Tel Aviv. That waiver has been used by every president since Bill Clinton to avoid obeying the 1995 Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995, which clearly stated: “Jerusalem should be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel; and the United States Embassy in Israel should be established in Jerusalem no later than May 31, 1999.”

Read more here:
http://www.dailywire.com/news/.....rrien

etky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:09 pm
According to Abu Mazen, Trump just informed him that it is going to happen.
The Palestinians have just announced 'three days of rage' to protest.
What will actually happen is anyone's guess.

moonstone

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:12 pm
Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. This is a fact that should be recognized worldwide. But I admit I'm afraid if what will happen if/when Trump moves the embassy there. The violence the Palestinians will unleash scares the hell out of me.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:22 pm
moonstone wrote:
Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. This is a fact that should be recognized worldwide. But I admit I'm afraid if what will happen if/when Trump moves the embassy there. The violence the Palestinians will unleash scares the hell out of me.

Totally agree!!

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:30 pm
etky wrote:
According to Abu Mazen, Trump just informed him that it is going to happen.
The Palestinians have just announced 'three days of rage' to protest.
What will actually happen is anyone's guess.

They have "days of rage" for everything.

If we shoot back against rockets firing from Gaza --> Day of Rage
Increased security on Har HaBayit --> Day of Rage
Build some new homes in Yesha --> Day of Rage

Google "day of rage Palestinian" and see how many hits you get about a wide variety of events.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:38 pm
DrMom wrote:
They have "days of rage" for everything.

If we shoot back against rockets firing from Gaza --> Day of Rage
Increased security on Har HaBayit --> Day of Rage
Build some new homes in Yesha --> Day of Rage

Google "day of rage Palestinian" and see how many hits you get about a wide variety of events.

Believe me, I know.
So this time it's three days in a row. I don't remember that ever happening before.
Unless you count the last Intifada as one long day of rage....

InnerMe

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 12:48 pm
moonstone wrote:

Me too. It truly frightens me.
Hoping & praying that our brothers and sisters in Israel stay safe.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:34 pm
http://www.jewishpress.com/new.....2/05/

According to this, the embassy is moving.

Those grandchildren of mine who were born in Jerusalem do not have Israel on their birth certificates as country of origin, they have Jerusalem stamped on there, because Jerusalem was not universally recognized as belonging to Israel.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:39 pm
southernbubby wrote:
http://www.jewishpress.com/news/eye-on-palestine/trump-tells-abbas-abdullah-the-embassy-is-moving-to-jerusalem/2017/12/05/

According to this, the embassy is moving.

Those grandchildren of mine who were born in Jerusalem do not have Israel on their birth certificates as country of origin, they have Jerusalem stamped on there, because Jerusalem was not universally recognized as belonging to Israel.

So the latest is that the embassy is not moving quite yet but a declaration about Jerusalem being Israel's capital is still on the agenda.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:51 pm
Where are you getting ur updates?
As far as I can see all sites just talking about Trumps convo with Abbas to inform him about the move..

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:55 pm
etky wrote:
So the latest is that the embassy is not moving quite yet but a declaration about Jerusalem being Israel's capital is still on the agenda.

And nobody is sure if this is even a beneficial move for Israel because if the US puts itself out of a position of diplomatic negotiation, who does that leave as a buffer between Israel and the Arab nations?

etky

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Where are you getting ur updates?
As far as I can see all sites just talking about Trumps convo with Abbas to inform him about the move..

Ynet (in Hebrew)- which based their report on the NYT

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:17 pm
etky wrote:
Ynet (in Hebrew)- which based their report on the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/1......html

Its all symbolic. And I'm not a big fan of putting lives at risk for symbolism.

alis_al_kulana

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:28 pm
It's an important step in Israel's right to exist as a Jewish country, currently under attack from many fronts. Validates Jewish historical claim to Israel, which is centralized in Jerusalem.

Don't be so scared of 3 days of anger, is propaganda meant to frighten us.

Anything that validates existence of Israel gets Palestinians mad. Problem is, if we fear angering them, the destruction of Israel is assured.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 2:33 pm
My chareidi relatives are very upset about this because of the unrest it will cause. They were like, "who asked for this?" But then, I believe they have similar sentiments about the state of Israel generally.

Under Clinton, Congress passed a provision that would move the us embassy from TA to J'lem as of 1999. It included a provision that the POTUS could defer the move for security reasons at the time it was supposed to take effect. George W Bush and Obama each continuously signed the order deferring the move in the interest of security.

Personally I don't believe in allowing terrorists to dictate what a country will do, but who's going to die here and for what gain? There are a lot of causes that are worth dying for. Here, Israel already knows that Jerusalem is its capital. This is a move for the US to make a political statement that Israelis are going to die for. Maybe some Israelis believe that's worth dying for. I don't know.

I believe there's a way to get Israel on birth certificates without this level of drama. But I don't think the US evangelicals pushing this care about the Israelis who will die for this.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:07 pm
US Warns Citizens Ahead Of Jerusalem Move- doesnt this mean they intend to actually carry out the move?

WhatFor

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
US Warns Citizens Ahead Of Jerusalem Move- doesnt this mean they intend to actually carry out the move?

Possibly. And they also believe that they're creating a situation dangerous enough that their own citizens should be warned against dealing with the repercussions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics