Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Foods that don't need a hechsher
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
Maple syrup, most spices, water, plain grains ( like from Whole Foods where you get from a general container)

I'm pretty sure that maple syrup needs a hechsher. It used to be processed with lard but now I think it's commercially processed with vegetable oil instead. There's also a question of bishul akum since the sap gets boiled down to make the syrup.

According to my LOR honey doesn't need a hechsher though.

goodmorning

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 6:00 pm
amother wrote:
Maple syrup, most spices, water, plain grains ( like from Whole Foods where you get from a general container)

Maple syrup is actually potentially problematic according to many opinions because of the possible anti-foaming agents used. e.g. http://www.cor.ca/faq.html, https://twitter.com/crckosher/.....ng=en

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:

davka maple syrup can have big issues with kashrus.

I buy flour, sugar, spices, frozen veg, canned beans and tomatoes, dried pulses, fruit juices, rice, pasta and many other things without a hechsher. Plus other things eg mayonnaise, cereal, candy, soda, that is on a list. And bh the amount of stuff we can buy with a hechsher in Europe is increasing.

Also eggs, water and fresh/frozen fish do not need a hechsher. (really????)

5BH

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 6:27 pm
Maple Syrup definitely needs a Hechsher. They use a Treif foam in the processing. Water and Eggs in US and Canada definitely don’t need Hechsher even for Pesach.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:07 pm
simba wrote:
Grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as well?

Consult with your lor on that one🤔

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:08 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Ok, so now you know me (or at least my SN). I used to look for it, as so many water bottles DO have an o-u, I just didn't know.

I also look for the ou on water bottles. So far I always found one.

mommyla

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:09 pm
5BH wrote:
Maple Syrup definitely needs a Hechsher. They use a Treif foam in the processing. Water and Eggs in US and Canada definitely don’t need Hechsher even for Pesach.

I was told that 100% pure maple syrup is fine without a hechsher.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:19 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I also look for the ou on water bottles. So far I always found one.

In England, the majority of people (talking yeshivish circles here) buy juice and fizzy drinks without any hechsher. And certain cereals and many other things.

That's even among people who won't eat certain hechsherim that they don't consider good enough.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:25 pm
cnc wrote:
The eggs that I buy in my local heimishe grocery don't have any hechsher on the carton.

My husband just told me that a chicken needs to have the following in order to be rendered kosher.

1. A back finger ( Halacha)
2. Yellow legs ( mesorah)
3. Clear nails ( menorah)

I asked him about the non hechshered eggs . He said that it's for this reason that people are makpid to only purchase eggs with a hechsher. My inlaws also raise chickens and only make sure their chickens have all these qualifications, otherwise they won't eat the eggs from the chickens.

I happened to have just checked and my egg cartons don't have a hechsher either bought at the kosher grocery. I showed DH. He is not American. It may have to do with the fact, he said when he grew up they all knew that brown eggs were not kosher. He said maybe white eggs don't need a hechsher. I know my inlaws chickens are kosher and lay brown eggs. I need to learn more about this as this is pretty new info for me and I recently found out about this.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:34 pm
Amother copper, most drinks have an ou. All drinks from Coca Cola company have an OU. Vitamin water, Snapple, many juices have an ou.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 7:50 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Amother copper, most drinks have an ou. All drinks from Coca Cola company have an OU. Vitamin water, Snapple, many juices have an ou.

Right, so I was saying that in England they don't have any certification and we still drink them.

pause

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 8:40 pm
I once looked into eggs and it's not so simple. https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....mple/

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 9:59 pm
Dry beans according to my rabbi

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Dec 05 2017, 10:21 pm
pause wrote:
I once looked into eggs and it's not so simple. https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....mple/

What's not simple?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 4:52 am
Raisin wrote:
davka maple syrup can have big issues with kashrus.

I buy flour, sugar, spices, frozen veg, canned beans and tomatoes, dried pulses, fruit juices, rice, pasta and many other things without a hechsher. Plus other things eg mayonnaise, cereal, candy, soda, that is on a list. And bh the amount of stuff we can buy with a hechsher in Europe is increasing.

Also eggs, water and fresh/frozen fish do not need a hechsher. (really????)

Depends of what kind of candy. Gelatine is very common. Also food coloring agents can be problematic. Water during Passover could definitely need hechsher. Fish: There are places you definitely need hechsher (due to anisakis-worms which have been found in fish)
Are you sure mayonnaise doesn't need hechsher? If eggs are from a trayf chicken type then the eggs are treyf too.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 4:58 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I heard that sugar and water don't need a hechsher (in the US), would love to have that confirmed by someone who knows for sure.

For Passover it is very possible that you need a hechsher for water.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 4:59 am
My charedi neighbours buy stam eggs. There is a Pessach list and definitely water is ok as well as other things I won't list so as to not be harassed. But there is much more than Imamother likes to say Smile Do people really think most Jews would even have access for those niche products, a water with hechsher, in the world??

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:01 am
A hechsher makes the product more sellable. That is why there is a hechsher on things like water, salt and flour.
There are g*yim who think kosher means healthy.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:03 am
Ruchel wrote:
Eggs and water are bought stam even by charedi rabbanim's wives. Urgh. Hechshered water? You better never live out of town, and out of America. What a life to make for oneself...

For Passover you do need to be very careful with bottled water. Some companies use filters which contains kitniyot.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:10 am
Ruchel wrote:
My charedi neighbours buy stam eggs. There is a Pessach list and definitely water is ok as well as other things I won't list so as to not be harassed. But there is much more than Imamother likes to say Smile Do people really think most Jews would even have access for those niche products, a water with hechsher, in the world??

I have never seen eggs in Israel with a hechsher (only for Passover when they come with 3 small stars stamped on each egg indicating chickens have been fed chametz-free food)
and yes, bottled water/mineral water may need a hechsher (or at least be on a reliable kosher list) as some companies do use filters with kitniyot content. Guess it depends in which country you are in.

Last edited by Bnei Berak 10 on Wed, Dec 06 2017, 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen