Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Special things you do with your kids on Chanukah
Previous  1  2

lucky14

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
we do a lot of the mentioned ones, but a few more are
-playing draidle! no one wrote that!

Actually a couple of us did Smile

I like the version that you do though. That's cute.

gande

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 1:39 am
Lots of great ideas above, I'm gonna try some.

I buy a chanuka gift for the family that we can keep busy with together for the night such as a puzzle, game or even lego.
This year I bought the sculpting balloons advertised on imamother and we will have fun making different designs.

Lilibet

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:46 am
homemade doughnuts. Easy to make, and special. You deep fry them, but the kids get to roll each one in cinnamon sugar before they eat them. Since it was the only time of year I made them it was special for chanukah.

I had similar problem, because we lived far from family and when the kids were young, rapidly moved through a ladder of job promotions in multiple cities.

Another night, you make a project out of letting the kids prepare the latkes. And you serve them with homemade applesauce, which the kids also help make - it's incredibly easy to make applesauce. I make it simply by dicing apples (peeling is not necessary) and simmering them with a little water, sugar and cinnamon sticks. It's nothing like applesauce that comes out of a jar. It can be made ahead.

One night you let them "help" - or help, depending on age, make some unusual recipe used in some exotic corner of the Jewish world - and you or your husband or the older kids read up on that community and talk about that place.

Another night, if the kids are older, you dress up as Maccabees and eat something ancient - like pita, hummus and other dips eaten WITHOUT forks (which hdn't been invented yet. Depends on the age of the kids.

Also check listings, shuls and other orgs have cheap or free activities.

There are also blank dreidles and ones with just the letter outlined for a paint-your-own project. You can gamble with homemade cardboard coins copied or glued form printed images of actual Hasmonean coins.

Enjoy!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:11 am
I had a neighbor growing up who used to take family photos on the eighth night of Chanukah in front of the menorahs. They would ask another neighbor to come over and actually take the picture. They have a beautiful album of Chanukah pictures over the years.

I would totally implement this in my home but my family is extremely uncooperative when it comes to pictures.

DREAMING

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:47 pm
Sing together after lighting the menorah. Play dreidel at least once sometimes more. make latkes. I buy cheap Chanukah craft for vacation days

happyone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:23 pm
Every night we do a little special something.
Nice dinners and guests on some nights.
Decorate doughnuts, crafts, let children make their own game, children make a performance, draidel game with chocolate coins, make your own pizza toppings, make your own sushi, one night they get their gifts, every night is a surprise for the kids what to expect,

happyone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:24 pm
Every night we do a little special something.
Nice dinners and guests on some nights.
Decorate doughnuts, crafts, let children make their own game, children make a performance, draidel game with chocolate coins, make your own pizza toppings, make your own sushi, one night they get their gifts, every night is a surprise for the kids what to expect.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:33 pm
gande wrote:
Lots of great ideas above, I'm gonna try some.

I buy a chanuka gift for the family that we can keep busy with together for the night such as a puzzle, game or even lego.
This year I bought the sculpting balloons advertised on imamother and we will have fun making different designs.

Sorry off topic, but does your dvd work? I bought it too but it doesn’t work I’m wondering if it was a scam.

busymother

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 4:45 pm
Wanted to bump this because there are such great ideas here.
We play a game where I make muddy buddies and everyone takes turns spinning the dreidel. First one to land on gimmel gets to eat till the next person lands on gimmel and keep going till bowl done.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics