Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
BEing shushed on monsey bus by woman and driver

thegiver

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:22 pm
Pls explain to me some unspoken protocol of not having a conversation on the monsey trails bus. I was speaking into my headphones and they shushed me repeatedly and insisted thst I whisper and that yhe bus is not a place to have a conversstion. Did I not pay for the ticket too? Why are new yorkers so blunt? It makes me cry every time I visit.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:27 pm
That's pretty odd. Maybe you were talking really loud?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:31 pm
What do you mean you were talking into your headphones
Maybe you didn't hear yourself and you were talking louder than you would without them on?
I've taken the Monsey bus quite a few times and nobody was ever shushed up for talking.

fbmommy

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:31 pm
On a quiet bus every single passenger hears your conversation. For your own privacy, as well as the sake of the other passengers trying to rest, please don't have conversations.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:34 pm
I was never shushed on a bus. Then again, I try to talk as low as possible. Perhaps you were talking louder than you realized? Makes sense?

Chloe

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:41 pm
Perhaps you didn't realize that you may have been talking louder than acceptable on a bus full of people.
At a certain point, other people's phone conversations can get truly bothersome and annoying, and it's not fair for all the people around who also paid for their seats.

cm

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 7:45 pm
I've never been on that bus, but some buses/trains have a quiet culture, especially if the route caters to daily commuters. When you're new someplace, it's a good idea to take your cue from the people around you.

happyone

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 8:02 pm
When you're in a public setting such as a bus, train, or shared ride it's impolite IMO to have conversations on the phone that everyone is a part of. Like other posters said you MUST have not realized how loud you were talking if ppl were getting annoyed .

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 8:44 pm
Were u sitting near the front? I know in Israel it's illegal to talk on the phone within 2 rows of the bus driver

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 8:54 pm
Maybe it's just good old tznius..

Here the men are trying to learn and davern and be holy after a long hard day at work.
And you are tormenting them with your seductive [inappropriate] female voice...

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:04 pm
It's not appropriate to talk on the bus about personal matters. I was once on the bus & we where all privy to her very private conversation. No one needs to know anyone's family issues, shidduch issues, pregnancy problems....

Chloe

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:21 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Maybe it's just good old tznius..

Here the men are trying to learn and davern and be holy after a long hard day at work.
And you are tormenting them with your seductive [inappropriate] female voice...

For me personally, it's just good old manners. I don't wanna be forced to listen to your conversations.

gande

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:31 pm
I was on the bus recently and no one was shushed, although you can hear every word of even a quiet conversation with anyone on the bus. I slept through my trip. I would have been upset if my neighbor spoke loudly on the phone throughout the trip.

You must have been talking very loudly or discussing something private. The noise level must have been above the norm, or they were trying to let you know that everyone can hear and maybe you shouldn't discuss personal stuff in public. Whatever the case, you should not be playing the victim. You should have self-respect and understand that it is a quiet place where every noise is disturbing.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:35 pm
It also sounds like you have the "I paid so I can do as I please" attitude.
I also had once that someone ate a bowl of chalont & eggs on the bus, there was terrible traffic the way took 3 hours. The smell was so terrible that some people vomited. I was gaging. The driver announced on the loudspeaker that whoevers having a meal shall kindly pack it up. We need to use common sense...

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 9:52 pm
I just want to add that people shouldn't be having phone conversations in resturants either. The one sided conversations are the worst because they don't become background noise, and people talk louder than normal into phones.

Tonight I went out to eat, and the family at the next table gave their child their phone to play games. Our dinner was disturbed by the beeps and noises of the game.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:19 pm
I hate when people talk loud on their cell phones in public. It is sooooo annoying! I can't tell you how many times I wished I can tell that person to just be quiet. I don't need to know how the interview went or what the dr told your grandmother or that you can't find a size four green pants anywhere.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:24 pm
Also want to add that there's a difference between an inter-city bus - e.g. Brooklyn to Monsey - and a citybus that makes stops every few blocks. It's really annoying to settle down for a 2-hour ride and then find that you're spending an unforeseeable length of it listening to half of a conversation that doesn't concern you. It's not as intrusive on a within-town MTA bus where people are hopping on and off every other minute and anyone can typically switch seats easily.

penguin

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 10:29 pm
I've seen this [inappropriate] correction before and am madly curious what the poster meant to write.

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 12:02 am
penguin wrote:
I've seen this [inappropriate] correction before and am madly curious what the poster meant to write.

LOL - I tried to figure it out also by previewing different words. I found there are a lot more vulgar words that can get through the imamother censor than I thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics