Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Indianapolis community?

loveit

Post Thu, Dec 07 2017, 11:09 pm
Hi -

I'm looking of any imamothers from Indianapolis that can help me with information. We have been doing extensive research on our family history because we believe that we are Leviim but the mesorah was sadly lost. We have found that there are a lot of family members buried in the old Jewish cemetery in Indianapolis. We found pics of some headstones but we are looking for the hebrew inscription often posted on the reverse.

If any of you can point us to someone that could go take pics for us or help us find someone who can that would be amazing! We live too far away to make the trip driving and can't afford the flights right now. We've called the shul our family was involved with but they didn't have information. Our family came over in the 1880s so it makes our research harder.

TIA!

anonymom

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 4:36 am
I accidentally came across pictures of my great grandparents' headstones when surfing the web and searching their names. There was an organization whose mission it is to preserve pictures of headstones. Try googling "find a jewish grave" to start

doctorima

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 7:44 am
Is there a Chevra Kadisha in Indianapolis that you could contact? Or perhaps the JCC, or Chabad to see if they could help, or point you in the right direction?

loveit

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 1:06 pm
anonymom wrote:
I accidentally came across pictures of my great grandparents' headstones when surfing the web and searching their names. There was an organization whose mission it is to preserve pictures of headstones. Try googling "find a jewish grave" to start

Thank you. Yes I have found some but there are others without photographs I would like to see. I am especially interested in the Hebrew inscription which is often on the back, any pictures I have found are only the front. Jewishgen.com is a great resource for finding these images if anyone else is interested.

loveit

Post Fri, Dec 08 2017, 1:08 pm
doctorima wrote:
Is there a Chevra Kadisha in Indianapolis that you could contact? Or perhaps the JCC, or Chabad to see if they could help, or point you in the right direction?

Thank you, the chevra kadisha is a good idea, I will look into it. I was able to contact the mortuary that is listed in all the death certificates, it still exists but they have a significant fee to do this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics