Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd mustache help
1  2  Next

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 8:56 pm
My dd age 15, has asked me to take her for electrolysis to remove her embarrassing mustache. It's a fortune, and I'm not sure what to do, as I'm a single mother, and I don't have an extra cent. I do understand why this is so important to her... Any suggestions?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
My dd age 15, has asked me to take her for electrolysis to remove her embarrassing mustache. It's a fortune, and I'm not sure what to do, as I'm a single mother, and I don't have an extra cent. I do understand why this is so important to her... Any suggestions?

Can she babysit to make the money?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 9:02 pm
Where do u live?
I just did it in Lakewood.
I spent $26 on my first session, and the rest of the sessions are supposed to go down in price each time, as the time it takes will reduce.
I plan to go every two weeks for six months- and then hopefully never have to again. So it'll end up being about $180 total. For me, that's cheaper than constantly paying for waxing.

Other options:
Sally Hansen bleach (I did it when I was a teen. It worked but was messy and annoying.)

Waxing - every three weeks or so- if you find a cheap place it's 8-10 a time.

Do it yourself waxing- never worked for me though.

simcha2

Have her wax in the mean time. (You can buy the sally hansen home strips pretty inexpensively). If it's important to her, you and her can save up.

Not doing doing electrolysis doesn't mean you have to have a mustache.

Just as a side point, I had electrolysis as a teen, it didn't really take at all.

amother
Seagreen

And I agree with asking her to babysit to earn the money.

amother
Seashell

Can you tell her you understand her, but just money-wise it is hard & perhaps by cutting some corners you can save a little for the purpose, but will need her help also - would she be willing to earn money through babysitting or tutoring and use it to pay partially for it? Maybe can ask around for the best & most cost-effective person in your area.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 9:27 pm
as others said - there are other ways to deal with it. no one was doing electrolyis when I was a teen. (as a side note - this could be a sign of PCOS - nothing to do now, but she should learn about the more when she is married)

SuperWify

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Where do u live?
I just did it in Lakewood.
I spent $26 on my first session, and the rest of the sessions are supposed to go down in price each time, as the time it takes will reduce.
I plan to go every two weeks for six months- and then hopefully never have to again. So it'll end up being about $180 total. For me, that's cheaper than constantly paying for waxing.

Other options:
Sally Hansen bleach (I did it when I was a teen. It worked but was messy and annoying.)

Waxing - every three weeks or so- if you find a cheap place it's 8-10 a time.

Do it yourself waxing- never worked for me though.

I do it in Lakewood by someone even cheaper.
But your dreaming that in 6 months you’ll be done! I’m doing it for over 2 years and the results are really slow! (I don’t have a lot of hair) . But at least I’m seeing some improvement.

That being said it costs me a drop more then waxing but it takes longer and is painful. However I’m hoping that in the long run it would be cheaper.

OP I would advise you:
1. If she’s a teen why can’t she chip in? I always paid for these things. Many girls do.
2. If you do want to do electrolysis DO NOT do bleach strips it will just make the hairs thicker and longer to get rid of. Start as soon as you- or she- can afford to.

Good luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 10:47 pm
I tried Electrolysis, the hair always grew back. Now I use this:
https://www.target.com/p/nads-.....aw.ds

Super simple and cheap, use them whenever I notice, and I keep one in my makeup bag.

esther36

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 11:31 pm
I actually started with my daughter who's 12 a couple of months ago cuz it was quite noticeable to me and I didn't want her to be self conscious about it. She has very fair skin and dark hair. I didn't want it to become a social issue. If your daughter is asking for it I think the right thing is to do it for her and she can share the cost with u.

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Dec 09 2017, 11:44 pm
Another vote for Sally Hansen ... Don't waste $ on electrolysis

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 12:58 am
amother wrote:
And I agree with asking her to babysit to earn the money.

I don't. She's not asking for a lipstick, or new purse. She's dealing with a situation with her body that most people remove. Shouldn't that fall under parental jurisdiction? Like paying for her sanitary supplies?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 1:17 am
Waxing much more reasonable

singleagain

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 1:38 am
You could also consider a facial trimmer, there are many types and if she has sensitive skin it might be better than waxing

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 1:41 am
I paid for my my waxing when I was a teenager. My mother did not see the necessity.
If you truly do not have the money for extras, she can work and make the money to pay for it.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 5:19 am
I use this: https://www.amazon.com/R-Sprin.....XUTUM
When I bought it over 4 years ago it was $13, but I see it went up in price. There are cheaper versions on Amazon but I don't know how they work because I only use this one. Some of the reviews on the cheaper ones are very positive.

It's a spring that you roll on your face and it pulls out the hair. It hurts like heck the first time you use it, but the more often you use it the less it hurts. Once you get the hang of it it's easy and you can do it when you're watching a movie, reading, studying, etc. I work at home, so I keep it at my computer and use it while I work.

I have PCOS and always had a thick mustache, and I find that even when I neglect to use the spring for a few weeks, the hair that grows back is thinner and less noticeable. It always hurts the first time I start after a few weeks' break, but if I use it a few times a week it doesn't hurt so much.

I swear by this device - it is easy to use, effective, portable, cheap.

Good luck and hugs to your dd! It's hard to have a noticeable mustache as a teen. (one of my most embarrassing moments is when my friend's younger brother asked me why I have a mustache.)

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 8:00 am
I paid for electrolosys. No question more expensive where I live than Lakewood but both dd and I are seeing results. We’ve been going a year. I imagine we will be going for awhile yet but it’s wirth it to me.

OP, I am paying for this but I don’t think it’s something my mother would have. Actually I don’t even thing I’d have discussed it with her since she didn’t go to these things (or eyebrow waxing etc).

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 8:25 am
amother wrote:
as others said - there are other ways to deal with it. no one was doing electrolyis when I was a teen. (as a side note - this could be a sign of PCOS - nothing to do now, but she should learn about the more when she is married)

She could go on BC, like I did and my other teenage friends who had PCOS. It helped with facial hair a bit..

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 9:29 am
I always bleached my mustache as a teen with my mom. It works well and is cheap.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 9:42 am
I it’s got this and works great and doesn’t hurt and not expensive.

https://www.lovelivingchic.com.....mover
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children