Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Facts of life - really little kids

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 9:14 am
I grew up in a home that nothing was spoken about regardless of the fact that it was a pretty open home.
So my question is how to go about having an open home in regards to body etc? My kids are really little but even when things come up like nipples for example, how do I go about talking about it and not feeling akward? What is age appropriate for 4 and under?
I have a general idea but since I had no good examples in this area I'm clueless...

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 9:22 am
I try to be as honest I can with as little details as possible.
More details according to age appropriate.
Just use some plain old common sense.

hanna2010

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 9:28 am
Don't wanna high jack the thread, however my daughter is 10 and pediatrician recommended I talk with her about her body etc using correct terminology etc.
Dr said I don't have to directly speak about period yet but begin general education.
Aside from the book, "wonder of becoming me" is there anything else out there that I could use to teach body parts and basic function.
I myself could probably facilitate appreciation for the gift and hashkopha etc.

cm

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 10:11 am
OP - even if it is awkward for you, be as matter-of-fact about it as possible. Little children don't feel shocked by discussion of body parts the way adults do. They just want to know what their body parts are called and what they do.

Hanna2010 - even if your daughter isn't close to starting her period, some of her friends very likely are. This is always a huge debate on Imamother, but I firmly believe it is better for her to hear the (non-scary) truth from her mother than whatever mixed-up version she will hear from the other girls at school and camp. My daughter appreciated having "The Care and Keeping of You" from American Girl.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 11:09 am
[quote="cm"]OP - even if it is awkward for you, be as matter-of-fact about it as possible. Little children don't feel shocked by discussion of body parts the way adults do. They just want to know what their body parts are called and what they do.

Thank you there's a lot of truth to this and very helpful.
So here's another question - my 4 year old son understands that the baby nurses from my nipples but asked me why he and aba also have... what to answer?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 11:25 am
You only have to in circles that are hang up on it.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 11:31 am
I nurse and I told my kids that hashem gave me formula in my tummy so I can feed our new baby. My daughter (5) asked if thats going to happen to her and I smiled and said yes! When you become a mommy! She is very chilled with it. She also asked if “they” (her breasts) are going to get bigger and I said, when you get older. I told her that as we get older some things change. Like in a year or two she’s going to start loosing teeth (she’s very excited about that!) also I point out how the baby changes as he gets older. I want puberty to be as natural as ever, and not a surprise with a sit down conversation out of the blue.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 11:37 am
[quote="amother"]
cm wrote:
OP - even if it is awkward for you, be as matter-of-fact about it as possible. Little children don't feel shocked by discussion of body parts the way adults do. They just want to know what their body parts are called and what they do.

Thank you there's a lot of truth to this and very helpful.
So here's another question - my 4 year old son understands that the baby nurses from my nipples but asked me why he and aba also have... what to answer?

Hashem made boys and girls with nipples but only mommy’s get milk when they have a baby. Just say the truth.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 10:55 pm
This is a great book
Talking About Intimacy and s-xuality: A Guide for Orthodox Jewish Parents https://www.amazon.com/dp/1602.....2HEHC
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics