Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What are pros and cons of moving to Bayswater

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 6:31 pm
I need to move because my landlord is selling the house. Cannot afford to stay in BP cuz of the rent. I'm thinking of Bayswater as a possible option. No little kids , so no worries about schools, etc. Just need a subway so I can get to the city and back. And a quiet apartment where I can rest my tired being at night. Shabbosos I usually go away.
What are pros and cons of the neighborhood? What are typical rental fees? Sec 8 usually accepted there?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 6:38 pm
I just know that my brother pays 1600 plus utilities for a three bedroom, living room/ dining room, smallish kitchen and 1 1/2 bathrooms on the top floor of a two story house.
You need to pass crummy neighborhoods ( Mott Avenue) to get to the train and the train is a bit on the scary end from what I hear. But the people are nice. Very simple, not show offy, some a bit more eccentric than others. I had good vibes when I was there. That's all I know about the place. I have two siblings living there.
You also need a car, all shopping is done in the 5 towns area. There isn't anything directly in Bays Water.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 7:30 pm
yes you must drive or you will be stuck at home. I know of a chasidishh family that moved there many years ago when satmar wanted to start a kehilla. and it didnt work out but she stayed and she seems happy. she doesnt drive so its harder for her. but her kids look fine. her sons traveled to brooklyn which is about 45 min ride. without traffic which is usually not a problem.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 7:48 pm
Driving locally isn't a problem for me. I have an old jalopy for shopping purposes. I just don't like to take it to the city cuz the parking is over the top.
How's the crime? Do you regularly have shootings/stabbings?
How're the neighbors? Dogs barking? TV's blaring? cars blaring music? Can you give me a sense?
Is it a black neighborhood? Mixed?

SplitPea

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:
I need to move because my landlord is selling the house. Cannot afford to stay in BP cuz of the rent. I'm thinking of Bayswater as a possible option. No little kids , so no worries about schools, etc. Just need a subway so I can get to the city and back. And a quiet apartment where I can rest my tired being at night. Shabbosos I usually go away.
What are pros and cons of the neighborhood? What are typical rental fees? Sec 8 usually accepted there?

Keep in mind here depending on where you rent the subway will be between a 10 and 20 minute walk away. There is no parking near it. That’s a hardship for a lot of people.

I don’t think section 8 is accepted by many landlords here.

Rental fees are around $1000- 1100 for a Basement
$1500-1800 for a 2-3 bedroom.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Driving locally isn't a problem for me. I have an old jalopy for shopping purposes. I just don't like to take it to the city cuz the parking is over the top.
How's the crime? Do you regularly have shootings/stabbings?
How're the neighbors? Dogs barking? TV's blaring? cars blaring music? Can you give me a sense?
Is it a black neighborhood? Mixed?

The crime rate in the Jewish area is not much different than far Rockaway proper.

No we don’t have shootings and stabbing a(those are at the projects between Bayswater and far Rockaway)
Sometimes dogs bark, depends on the block. (That’s everywhere)
TV and music? I mean it happens. Again I thing it’s more block by block and if you have an inconsiderate neighbor and that could happen anywhere.

There are parties in the summer.. weddings and more again typical neighborhood noise.

It’s a mixed neighborhood as far as ethnicity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating