Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Want to stay tristate area...cant afford a house

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 5:11 pm
We are living in a two bedroom apt with three kids and its really time for a house. The tiny problem is that we are priced out. Dh is a rebbe in queens. The only place within a reasonable commute to queens is inwood and the prices there shot up like crazy recently. I would move oot but rebbe jobs are extremely competitive and most oot cities take their own kollel guys. I dont want to move to a three bedroom rental and pay at least 2500 a month because then I will not be able to save any money for a house. Even now that I am saving every month housing is going up faster than I can save...

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 5:55 pm
I have come to accept that I will not be able to afford a house within reasonable distance of NYC. dh and I looked at buying in Philly (where houses are still much cheaper,) but even if we bought a $200,000 home putting 20% down, a mortgage plus expenses of owning a home would be about $2,000. And in the end, it wasn't feasible to live in Philly. I have resigned myself to renting, for lack of preferable options.

fbmommy

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 6:00 pm
What do you do? Maybe it's worth it to invest in a better paying job so you can one day buy. I had a friend who got a Masters in education because she wanted to be able to buy a house, it took her maybe 2 years.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Dec 10 2017, 7:09 pm
What about West Hempstead? I know a couple that moved there and they commute to Queens for their jobs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics