Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Port Authority Bombing
1  2  3  4  Next

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:03 am
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017......html

Bangladeshi man had bomb strapped to his body.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:23 am
It's interesting. Doesn't seem like a very professional job with even the bomber only having minor injuries - was it a poorly executed attack or was it a miraculous bomb malfunction? Also interesting because you barely hear about suicide bombings anymore. It's like a 90's thing or something. So as far as ISIS-inspired, it seems unlikely that the guy is actually associated with ISIS since this is not their usual modus operandi. I mean, why strap a bomb to your body when you could put it in a trash can and no one would notice? Sounds more like a nutjob. And I wonder why they report Port Authority is still closed until further notice and trains are being rerouted right and left - if the whole place was evacuated right away, how long does it take to search an empty bus terminal, and why not just let people back in? G-d knows this city has enough commuting problems. I guess nobody's getting to work today, the transit is fickle enough without any major disasters.

Of course my musings are very random at this point because there isn't any real information available less than two hours out.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:24 am

Surveillance video shows the moment an apparent “suicide bomber” detonated a “pipe bomb” in New York City’s Port Authority terminal Monday morning during rush hour. The suspected attacker and three others suffered non-life-threatening injuries, according to the FDNY. The suspect has been taken into custody, the NYPD says.

According to the New York Post, the suspect is a 27-year-old man who last lived in Brooklyn. Former NYPD commissioner Bill Bratton said on MSNBC the attacker is originally from Bangladesh and has been in the U.S. for about seven years. Bratton said that, according to preliminary info, the man was wearing a device and was attempting to carry out a terror attack in the name of ISIS.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/12/.....ideo/

Akayed Ullah has been identified as the suspected bomber of a Manhattan transit terminal on Monday morning, a U.S. official told The Daily Beast. CBS News reported the suspect was carrying ID. Akayed, 27, resides in Brooklyn, New York and came to the United States approximately 7 years ago, the official said.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/.....-says

Last edited by Mevater on Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

rgr

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:26 am
So far reports say that the only person injured was the bomber himself. BH

simba

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:43 am
I feel like we are in denial about how little security is on the subways. Surprised this didn't happen earlier. BH no casualties.
Hashem please watch over us.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 9:54 am
seeker wrote:
It's interesting. Doesn't seem like a very professional job with even the bomber only having minor injuries - was it a poorly executed attack or was it a miraculous bomb malfunction? Also interesting because you barely hear about suicide bombings anymore. It's like a 90's thing or something. So as far as ISIS-inspired, it seems unlikely that the guy is actually associated with ISIS since this is not their usual modus operandi. I mean, why strap a bomb to your body when you could put it in a trash can and no one would notice? Sounds more like a nutjob. And I wonder why they report Port Authority is still closed until further notice and trains are being rerouted right and left - if the whole place was evacuated right away, how long does it take to search an empty bus terminal, and why not just let people back in? G-d knows this city has enough commuting problems. I guess nobody's getting to work today, the transit is fickle enough without any major disasters.

Of course my musings are very random at this point because there isn't any real information available less than two hours out.

Suicide bombing is still an extremely popular means of terrorism in many regions of the world like Central and South Asia, Africa and in the Arab world as well. However such attacks, in these third world locations, barely make it into the news so most people are not really aware of them.
In Israel nowadays, intelligence and other security measures b"h usually manage to thwart these types of attacks that require advance preparation of explosive devices, so terrorists have 'moved on' to vehicular attacks and stabbings that are more difficult to prevent.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:20 am
simba wrote:
I feel like we are in denial about how little security is on the subways. Surprised this didn't happen earlier. BH no casualties.

Totally agree. I say it all the time. I daven that hashem should keep us all safe.

Beingreal

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:31 am
I got scared because my dh goes through port authority for work. Baruch Hashem he is ok!

dvorak613

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:37 am
I went through Penn station not long after it happened and there was insane police activity there, I guess they're being vigilant at all the major terminals today. BH only the disgusting terrorist was hurt...

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 10:53 am
I take such moments as a hisorerus for myself. I feel like Hashem is telling me, I love you and want to protect you, please do teshuva. Today was a Chanukah miracle and thousands of people have been speared Baruch HaShem.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 11:30 am
etky wrote:
Suicide bombing is still an extremely popular means of terrorism in many regions of the world like Central and South Asia, Africa and in the Arab world as well. However such attacks, in these third world locations, barely make it into the news so most people are not really aware of them.
In Israel nowadays, intelligence and other security measures b"h usually manage to thwart these types of attacks that require advance preparation of explosive devices, so terrorists have 'moved on' to vehicular attacks and stabbings that are more difficult to prevent.

I was kind of talking about ISIS attacks in Western countries. There have been numerous attacks in Europe and the US in recent years and none of them were suicide bombings. Still seems like a pretty viable way to explode in a subway, but it's out of style or something.

Yes, NY subways are scary. There is very very little security, lots of crowding, and few exits. I pray a lot and marvel that they haven't been blown up yet.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 11:58 am
seeker wrote:
I was kind of talking about ISIS attacks in Western countries. There have been numerous attacks in Europe and the US in recent years and none of them were suicide bombings. Still seems like a pretty viable way to explode in a subway, but it's out of style or something.

Yes, NY subways are scary. There is very very little security, lots of crowding, and few exits. I pray a lot and marvel that they haven't been blown up yet.

The massacre at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester last spring was by a suicide bomber.
There were several attacks in Russia at the beginning of the decade - in the subway and at the airport that were also suicide bombings. Most famously perhaps - the bombings in London's transport system in 2005 were suicide bombings.
In the US the modus operandi of all types of terrorist attacks - ISIS or otherwise- is more often than not shooting, so this is indeed atypical. Then again, this terrorist seems to be a pretty recent immigrant so maybe he's just using a method that's popular in his area of the world.

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 12:27 pm
simba wrote:

The reality is there is no possible way to stop small attacks. Completely impossible. Even if there would be an armed security guard on every train in NYC it wouldn't stop something like this. We always see a cop car at the entrance of all bridges and tunnels in NYC. I always say that all they can do is be the first responders AFTER an attack. There is nothing that their presence does to prevent an attack from someone who knows he will likely be killed or severely injured during the attack. They are not exactly trying to get away with it.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 12:30 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
The reality is there is no possible way to stop small attacks. Completely impossible. Even if there would be an armed security guard on every train in NYC it wouldn't stop something like this. We always see a cop car at the entrance of all bridges and tunnels in NYC. I always say that all they can do is be the first responders AFTER an attack. There is nothing that their presence does to prevent an attack from someone who knows he will likely be killed or severely injured during the attack. They are not exactly trying to get away with it.

But first responders are very important, especially when it comes to shooters or stabbers, in a place where civilians don't carry guns and mostly aren't trained in any sort of combat.

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 12:41 pm
seeker wrote:
But first responders are very important, especially when it comes to shooters or stabbers, in a place where civilians don't carry guns and mostly aren't trained in any sort of combat.

True, although in the examples I gave with bridges and tunnels, the terrorist will almost always use a bomb not a gun or knife. My point was that there really isn't anything we can do to prevent small scale attacks by lone individuals. Aside from the fact that it's not practical to have security on every bus, train, restaurant, and street, even if hypothetically it could be done, it still wouldn't actually prevent the attack. I agree that in a case of shooting or stabbing it can prevent things from escalating even more.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 4:00 pm
NEW YORK (JTA) — The suspect in a pipe bomb attack on this city’s Port Authority Bus Terminal said he was motivated by Israeli actions in Gaza, CNN reported.

Akayed Ullah spoke with authorities at Bellevue Hospital, where he was taken after the bomb went off prematurely. He was among four people injured in the attack when his homemade bomb partially detonated in a tunnel connecting the Times Square subway station with the Midtown Manhattan transit hub during Monday’s morning rush hour.

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:46 pm
He came here via chain migration. We need to vet people better and have people come here that are good for the US.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:51 pm
Squishy wrote:
He came here via chain migration. We need to vet people better and have people come here that are good for the US.

Bangladesh is not currently a banned country but it might be an incentive to keep immigrants from becoming terrorists the knowledge that their country of origin could be banned due to their actions.

If chain migration is ended due to his actions, then his own people can blame him.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:55 pm
Hes a Kensington boy.

[UPDATED: Monday, December 11, 2017 at 3:30pm] Police and FBI swarmed the vicinity around 679 Ocean Parkway earlier today, where suspected subway bomber, Akayed Ullah, is believed to live.

A woman who didn’t want to be identified told BKLYNER that she saw the cops come out with an elderly woman in a head scarf earlier this morning.

“It’s terrifying to know that someone literally around the corner from where you live is a terrorist, who wants to take lives,” said Michelle Hobgood, a resident of Parkville Avenue. “It’s disheartening. This is a really nice neighborhood. But then again, you can’t automatically assume a neighborhood is safe just because it’s quiet.”

https://bklyner.com/manhattan-.....ping/

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:56 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Bangladesh is not currently a banned country but it might be an incentive to keep immigrants from becoming terrorists the knowledge that their country of origin could be banned due to their actions.

If chain migration is ended due to his actions, then his own people can blame him.

Chain migration is ripe with fruad. It is a stupid policy. 70% of are immigrants come here because of family ties. Instead of low skilled workers who take jobs from American low skilled workers, we should match our immigrants to the county's needs.

https://www.google.com/amp/www......html
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics