Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Port Authority Bombing
Previous  1  2  3  4

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:11 am
WhatFor wrote:
Just as an FYI, the notion that an aunt or uncle can sponsor a niece/nephew for citizenship is simply false. There is no pathway to citizenship through an aunt/uncle.

As to siblings, you cannot automatically bring them over. Take a look at the Department of State's visa bulletin. For December 2017 for siblings, they're currently processing visas that people filed for in June 2004. That means that people have to wait over 13 years, at earliest, to bring a sibling over. For Mexico, it's over 20 years. For the Philippines, it's 23 years. I'd hardly characterize that as "automatic".

I thought about this. I couldn't find comprehensive data about how long family reunification takes from other counties or the average time. These examples look like cherry picked propaganda.

Anyway, I know I know a young lady who married a man from a different country not mentioned above 3 years ago. He successfully brought over his parents and his 11 younger siblings. This was about 2 years ago because they only traveled to his hone one year for the yom tovim. His married sister and her 2 kids are now here also. [Her husband can now bring his parents and their siblings.]

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:17 am
etky wrote:
I don't know. Theoretically, a person with a gun can be taken down by someone else with a gun or even overpowered by physical force- hopefully before he shoots too many people.
OTOH an exposive blast within a contained area like a bus or train - and especially in a tunnel - does its terrible lethal damage before it is detected and once its gone off, that's it.
Yesterday's attack could potentially have inflicted many more casualties if the timing had been different.
That doesn't mean that gun control shouldn't be increased but I think its kind of too little too late.

But this is our problem politically. If we want to restrict guns, we are restricting rights, freedoms and the American culture. If we want to restrict immigration that makes us hostile to those who simply want a better life or are running from hostile regimes. Because of the political divide, we have to figure that one side will rid us of guns and the other of immigrants who are terrorists but we can't have both.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:22 am
Raisin wrote:
I think it is funny. About 220 people each year die from car related accidents in NYC. Apart from in 2001, far less people die in terrorist related acts then in car accidents.

If people really wanted to stop unnecessary deaths, they would increase gun control laws.

If that guy yesterday had got hold of a gun, he would have caused a LOT more harm.

Laws that increase traffic safety are not politicized like laws the restrict guns or immigration. You don't have to be a Democrat or a Republican to say that drunken or distracted driving should be illegal.

Probably lots of people going through Port Authority are armed, as is the police, who maintain a presence there. An active shooter is likely to be shot but an explosion could bring down part of a building on top of people, chas v'sholem.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 8:23 am
Squishy wrote:
I thought about this. I couldn't find comprehensive data about how long family reunification takes from other counties or the average time. These examples look like cherry picked propaganda.

Anyway, I know I know a young lady who married a man from a different country not mentioned above 3 years ago. He successfully brought over his parents and his 11 younger siblings. This was about 2 years ago because they only traveled to his hone one year for the yom tovim. His married sister and her 2 kids are now here also. [Her husband can now bring his parents and their siblings.]

I also couldn't find where DT got his info that Saipov was the point of contact for 23 relatives.

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 9:33 am
southernbubby wrote:
I also couldn't find where DT got his info that Saipov was the point of contact for 23 relatives.

DT is not getting his info from only the sources you and I have access to. The president of the US has primary sources we don't have.

Anyway the person I know was able to bring over 17 more people in a couple of years, so 23 in 7 years doesn't seem so far fetched.

Immigrants send 69 billion dollars home. That's money that could be part of our economy. I forgot what the multiplier effect is, but we lose that as well.

marina

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 11:36 am
streak wrote:
um just curious... why does america need people like marina and sequoia (however that's spelled) no offense to them but just what was the point trying to be made because as far as I know they are opposites. And if it was referring to marina being a lawyer I don't see why america needs lawyers any more than it needs cashiers and mailmen teachers, accountants, make up artists, businessmen, babysitters, and cleaning ladies.

Quote:
Firstly, we know them. There is a person attached to the SN. Once you know the person, it is harder to be objective. This is why Save The Children attaches faces to the children or the ASPCA shows pictures of sad puppies to raise money.

Secondly, lawyers, accountants, mailman, teachers, businessmen add to our economy. They are more invested here and are more stable. Accountants are not know to be murderers in general. They are usually good citizens.

The Dream Act proponents only highlighted the educated ones and represented them disproportionately to the population, so we would get to know the few that enhance the economy.

It's not about what America needs or doesn't need or who adds or doesn't add to our economy. No one needs more lawyers that's for sure. LOL

It's about who the country belongs to. And my claim to America is not any less valid than yours, streak and Squishy, just because your relatives came over a few decades earlier than I did.

This country was built by immigrants and for immigrants and we are not second-class citizens here who have to somehow justify our presence here by proving our value to the economy. We are who the country was made for in the first place.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 11:47 am
Squishy wrote:
DT is not getting his info from only the sources you and I have access to. The president of the US has primary sources we don't have.

But does he utilize those sources, or does he watch a lot of TV?

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 11:48 am
marina wrote:
It's not about what America needs or doesn't need or who adds or doesn't add to our economy. No one needs more lawyers that's for sure. LOL

It's about who the country belongs to. And my claim to America is not any less valid than yours, streak and Squishy, just because your relatives came over a few decades earlier than I did.

This country was built by immigrants and for immigrants and we are not second-class citizens here who have to somehow justify our presence here by proving our value to the economy. We are who the country was made for in the first place.

Once someone is a citizen, then there is no second class. But that does not entitle everyone in the world to become a citizen. Every country in the world is entitled to set criteria for their country's citizenship. Every country is entitled to say no to anyone. That's statehood.

Our country was not colonized, nor was it founded for future immigrants. Some colonies were founded for future immigrants of the right religion. Other colonies were founded for land and power. Others were founded to avoid persecution. Our country, and none of the colonies n would not have accepted slavery ever if it were founded for altruistic purposes.

Immigrants both willing and unwilling are historically cheap and free labor. Look at what businesses are bed fellows with the Dreamers.

marina

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 11:53 am
Squishy wrote:

She is not citing cherry picked propaganda. She is citing the current visa deadline.

https://travel.state.gov/conte......html

If you are a US citizen and would like to sponsor your sister or brother from Philippines or Mexico, in December 2017, they will process applications from 1994 or 1997 respectively.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 11:57 am
Raisin wrote:
I think it is funny. About 220 people each year die from car related accidents in NYC. Apart from in 2001, far less people die in terrorist related acts then in car accidents.

If people really wanted to stop unnecessary deaths, they would increase gun control laws.

If that guy yesterday had got hold of a gun, he would have caused a LOT more harm.

You’re right. But many Americans refuse to hear that and powerful people prevent any action on that front.

marina

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 12:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
Once someone is a citizen, then there is no second class. But that does not entitle everyone in the world to become a citizen. Every country in the world is entitled to set criteria for their country's citizenship. Every country is entitled to say no to anyone. That's statehood.

Our country was not colonized, nor was it founded for future immigrants. Some colonies were founded for future immigrants of the right religion. Other colonies were founded for land and power. Others were founded to avoid persecution. Our country, and none of the colonies n would not have accepted slavery ever if it were founded for altruistic purposes.

Immigrants both willing and unwilling are historically cheap and free labor. Look at what businesses are bed fellows with the Dreamers.

Yes, I agree that we have to have borders and we have to have limits and thorough vetting and we have to keep everyone safe.

But I did nothing to be privileged to come here as an immigrant and you did nothing to be privileged to be born here. These are fortuitous accidents of birth, not some sort of measure of morality or ethic.

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 12:13 pm
marina wrote:
She is not citing cherry picked propaganda. She is citing the current visa deadline.

https://travel.state.gov/conte......html

If you are a US citizen and would like to sponsor your sister or brother from Philippines or Mexico, in December 2017, they will process applications from 1994 or 1997 respectively.

I understand certain countries have lounger waits than others. The folks I know did not have a decades long wait. They only had a couple of years.

What is the average time?

Sayfullo Saipov won the lottery and was able to sponsor his relatives sooner.

Akayed Ullah an F 43 immigrant was sponsered by his extended family.

In any event, allowing dangerous murderers into this country because they won the lottery or have extended family here is not sound policy even if they have to wait years.

Post Tue, Dec 12 2017, 12:22 pm
marina wrote:
Yes, I agree that we have to have borders and we have to have limits and thorough vetting and we have to keep everyone safe.

But I did nothing to be privileged to come here as an immigrant and you did nothing to be privileged to be born here. These are fortuitous accidents of birth, not some sort of measure of morality or ethic.

I can agree that we are not here because of some innate superiority or divine right, but some people have more value to a country than others. Skilled doctors are more valuable than murderers to name an extreme example.

Once we are part of a country, we have a right to protect our country. And you can't dilute capital too much. Communism is a lovely idea, but it doesn't work. We can't save the entire world as there are too many of them and too few of us.

marina

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 11:04 pm

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 11:33 pm
I think these statistics are manipulated to make the contributions of the whole company attributable solely to immigrants.

OTOH, they are backing what I said. There is a big difference between the uneducated immigrants and educated immigrants. We want hire quality educated immigrants rather than the DACA immigrants who are a net loss to the country. They will cost us of $26 billion but bring in less than 1 billion. They are losers for the economy who came here illegally and continue to hurt Americans.

There is nothing wrong with cherry picking high quality immigrants who create jobs for Americans and contribute positively to the economy.

We are so backward in that we hurt high quality Asian applicants to help lower quality applicants get a higher education. We actually penalize people for being smarter because they belong to ethic groups which score higher and acheive better grades.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics