Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What about THIS job for a frum woman?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 2:50 am
There's a company in my area that delivers restaurant food to workplaces. Basically the job is picking up orders at restaurants and driving around delivering them.... nothing glamourous... but it's just two hours a day in the mornings and pays very well! I'm looking (desperately) to bring in more parnassa and this would bring in a nice chunk without having to leave my kids all day.

BUT.... what do you think of a frum woman delivering non-kosher food? Confused

catonmylap

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 3:03 am
I would ask if it is problem if you need to deliver non-kosher food to someone who is Jewish? Also, someone might see you and then think the food is kosher?

I wouldn't expect this kind of work to pay well--I'm surprised that it would.

I would also think you need to be in an area with little traffic. I see this as the kind of work done by young guys on motorcycles.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 3:05 am
If you are delivering it to Jews and/or there are meat/milk mixtures there may be halachic problems. Ask your LOR.

Otherwise it really depends what you feel. People may look at it as a little strangely, but you're not doing anything wrong - it depends how much it's going to bother you.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 3:05 am
ask a rav - could also be a problem of hana'ah from basar v'chalav or maris ayin? don't know.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 3:23 am
OP here

Asking a rav sounds like the right thing to do. As far as maris ayin, with my shaitel I don't think people would look twice. Delivering to Jewish people - likely, although they will be eating it anyway if I don't deliver it, but I guess I would be an accomplice...

I am quite sure serious treif would be involved, because why wouldn't it? The food is not from kosher restaurants.

And as far as the pay - it's a company that does upscale corporate lunch buffets. I guess the companies are paying handsomely for the service. About traffic etc. - no motorcycle deliveries - just professionally dressed people with the food in their cars. In the city and in the suburbs, everywhere.

I just want to do a little work for good pay and spend the rest of the day raising my children. Maybe I should start my own business delivering food from kosher restaurants!!! Idea But how many companies would really sign up? It's not like there are tons of frum businesses in my area.

bashinda

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 7:48 pm
if it's milk and meat I thought one of the prohibitions is that you're not allowed to derive benefit from it. So delivering a roast beef and cheese sandwich to a non Jew even and getting paid for it isn't that deriving benefit from milk and meat? I'd definitely ask a Rav though. It sounds extremely iffy.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 8:06 pm
I totally understand your predicament--- been in similar situations myself. Sof col sof, would you feel good waking up everyday to do this job? I've usually answered "no!" and though it's been very hard mtzad parnassa, I couldn't bring myself to take jobs that were so not-frum. Good luck to you both in researching the halachos and in doing what's right for you.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 8:17 pm
I too am surprised they pay well because most places pay less than minimum wage and usually delivery people rely on the tips ... although in this case a corporate office could afford a nice tip

what about gas money do they compensate - and parking too ... many things to consider here

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 10:06 pm
amother wrote:
Sof col sof, would you feel good waking up everyday to do this job?

Well, I don't know yet... but if I got an OK from a Rav and the parnassa was helpful I think I could work up some enthusiasm... Very Happy

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2007, 10:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
I too am surprised they pay well because most places pay less than minimum wage and usually delivery people rely on the tips ... although in this case a corporate office could afford a nice tip

what about gas money do they compensate - and parking too ... many things to consider here

Good points... could be that the pay they quote includes the expected tips, which would most likely be good from corporate types. The ad says $50-100 per day for two hours' work.

That said, there would be gas costs involved - probably not parking though - and I doubt gas is reimbursed. So it's a cheshbon to make.

I could really use that kind of extra cash, though, for just mindless morning driving!! But I haven't yet asked a rav.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 6:47 am
It may not be strict basar v'cholov bc the dairy likely will not be kosher.

Also, it's d'rabbanan that meat from kosher animals wihtout kosher shechita is considered basar...

Of course, ask LOR, bc there are so many complicated parts of this esp bc it's related to parnossah too....

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 8:39 am
amother wrote:
. The ad says $50-100 per day for two hours' work.

that alone is evasive ... check out the details before you get into something like this
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics