Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Part time mashgiach?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 10:24 pm
Hi all,

I posted this in another section as well but hoping to get more response.

Anyone ever heard of a mashgiah in a kitchen that does spot checks on food preparation/cooking instead of just in the kitchen all the time while the food is being prepared?

Specifically, can the mashgiah come and go during the daytime if the staff is trained on how to prepare food, etc?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 10:53 pm
Sure. Not every situation or every hechsher requires a mashgiach temidy.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 14 2017, 11:21 pm
Yes, for a dairy or pareve restaurant.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 3:56 pm
In a restaurant, most likely only if there are other frum jews present. In a factory, spot checking is the general way they do it unless they do treif runs, in which case a mashgiach temidi would be required for the kosher run.

Also depends on who is giving the hechsher

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 17 2017, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Hi all,

I posted this in another section as well but hoping to get more response.

Anyone ever heard of a mashgiah in a kitchen that does spot checks on food preparation/cooking instead of just in the kitchen all the time while the food is being prepared?

Specifically, can the mashgiah come and go during the daytime if the staff is trained on how to prepare food, etc?

Yes. But generally there needs to be a shomer Torah on shift if the mashgiach isn’t there. Shomer Torah owners often don’t need full time mashgiach but if the owner is not there, they need to have an approved shomer Torah on the premises. My dairy restaurant had yotzei VE nichnas but we were not able to leave at the same time because there always needed to be a shomer Torah. Meat restaurants either need surveillance camera systems ( I saw this in Montreal) or a temidi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions