Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
New Serial Starting -- You can read it in your email!
1  2  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 7:10 pm
My friend (Miriam Gitlin) who has been writing for years, most notably in Binah, recently informed me she is starting a new serial in Ami but since many people don't get that publication, she's offering for people to sign up to an email list to get each chapter as it comes free. I love reading (and I love free Wink ) so I figured I'd spread the word since she is talented and I can vouch for her. She's also about to do a giveaway for her hot off the press book in e-format or subsidized in print copy (IIRC) so if you sign up before the last day of Chanukah, you can enter into that too.

No, she's not paying me to write this. I just figured I'd spread the word since I had many relatives and friends thank me for personally sharing my excitement with them a few days ago!

If this doesn't interest you, that's fine, but if it does, you can go to http://bit.ly/2BGKpQO to get on the list.

Freilichin Chanukah!

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Mon, Dec 18 2017, 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 7:48 pm
Thanks! Signed up. I'm always down for a good read!

amazingmommy

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 8:01 pm
Thank you!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 8:07 pm
Why would the Ami allow that? The point of serial stories is to get people to buy the magazine from week to week...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 18 2017, 9:34 pm
OOPS!! I got very confused. It turns out the book she just published (Can You See Me?) was from Ami, and this is ONLY for email subscribers...all the more reason to sign up I guess.

Thanks for picking up on that, Ginger. You make total sense. I guess I extrapolated based on the previous serial that this was an Ami one too. I don't remember the blushing emoticon shortcode offhand, but insert it here Wink

eimhabonim

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 8:27 am
Wow, thanks! I love her writing. So looking forward!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 8:40 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
OOPS!! I got very confused. It turns out the book she just published (Can You See Me?) was from Ami, and this is ONLY for email subscribers...all the more reason to sign up I guess.

Thanks for picking up on that, Ginger. You make total sense. I guess I extrapolated based on the previous serial that this was an Ami one too. I don't remember the blushing emoticon shortcode offhand, but insert it here Wink

No worries, I had signed up already anyway! Was just wondering.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 8:47 am
deleted

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
So basically she is starting a new serial. This has absolutely nothing to do with Ami, yet you felt the need to put parentheses with the words that people dont read Ami.

Agenda, much?

And yes, I am aware that you work for Mishpacha.

She originally wrote that it was an Ami serial story because she thought it was (like the author's previous serial story) and then realized that it wasn't so she crossed it out. Chill.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 8:50 am
deleted

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 9:36 am
amother wrote:
So basically she is starting a new serial that she is offering via email. This has absolutely nothing to do with Ami, yet you felt the need to put parentheses with the words that people dont read Ami, a complete untruth.

Agenda, much?

And yes, I am aware that you are affiliated with another publication. Was it Mishpacha? Binah?

And why are you being so defensive? What affiliation do you have with the Ami?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:14 am
deleted since no longer necessary since I posted HY's response.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
So basically she is starting a new serial that she is offering via email. This has absolutely nothing to do with Ami, yet you felt the need to put parentheses with the words that people dont read Ami, a complete untruth.

Agenda, much?

And yes, I am aware that you are affiliated with another publication. Was it Mishpacha? Binah?

I think you're confusing HY with ILOVELIFE.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:29 am
I actually e-mailed HY to let her know because it was so "off" from who she is.
she e-mailed me back and asked me to post for her

"I am at work now, not at a magazine, so I can't respond online but I wanted to clarify that I have nothing against Ami or any magazine...I just don't subscribe to any at the moment and am always in search for more reading material. I'm happy to read any magazine that gets my way, and I'm equally happy to read literature not in magazines. I made a simple mistake since I've been tired and not keeping details straight that since the published book was from Ami, I assumed the new serial was also going to be in Ami. I really didn't mean to offend anyone or speak negatively about anything or make a hoopla. I just wanted to share reading options. So get that serial and Ami and whatever else you want, and enjoy quality fiction.

I hope anyone who works for Ami and the author herself is mochel me for this error. It wasn't supposed to be what the thread is about.

Thank you for understanding!"

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 10:35 am
Okay.

Hotpink I am affiliated with Ami and have no problem admitting that. I am close friends with several ppl that work there so it irked me.

Thank you HY for your response. I am deleting my comments and everyone who quoted me can delete it too.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
I think you're confusing HY with ILOVELIFE.

ILOVELIFE occasionally writes for Binah, not Mishpacha AFAIK.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 2:42 pm
So this serial has no connection to any magazine?

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 4:08 pm
No one knows? I just never heard of someone doing this before.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 4:13 pm
Done

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 19 2017, 6:59 pm
Thanks for posting for me, Crimson!

No, this serial has nothing to do with any publication, but is being released via email, a chapter each week. Miriam has previously written in Ami but not exclusively there, as I have also read her stuff in Binah. Again, I don't subscribe to any magazine, so for all I know she's also written for other publications. I don't play favorites; I read whatever comes my way Smile So now emailed chapters will IY"H come my way.

It's not the first time a serial has been released not in a print publication, BTW. I've read Israel Bookshop Publications' blog years ago when serials were released there (and later in book format, e.g. Dance of the Puppet I think is the name of one)

I'm all for more options for reading, even if it's not the mainstream/traditional route, and I don't think it will take away from the real need to have print options too as that is very convenient for Shabbos at a minimum.

(Once again, I wasn't trying to badmouth anyone or anything. You can sub any magazine in my OP and I would have mistakenly made the same comment: that many people don't read it. It's also true that many people DO read it. There is B"H a growing frum market of readers that you can have many in both groups for any given material!)

Are we all good now? Smoothed all ruffled feathers? Thanks for bearing with me and my hodge podge of thoughts!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room