Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Goya coworker is married to a Jew
Previous  1  2

Hannah!

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 5:23 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
chavamom wrote:
I generally say something like "as an Orthodox Jew, there is no way to approve of intermarriage, but not b/c of racism. It is impossible to live a full Jewish life while married to someone who has fundamentally different values."

Chavamom seems to have nailed it! It presents the Torah view unequivocally without being needlessly insensitive or open to misinterpretation.

Let me throw in another thought: 25 years ago, *I* was the goya married to a Jew who spent as much time as I could finagle with a frum co-worker. Although it's true that I was already interested in Torah, I believe her influence was another little nudge along the way. I subsequently became a giyores, my husband spent a decade in yeshiva, and our children attend chassidishe schools. I'm not saying that anyone should be doing active outreach to such people, but you never know how quietly modeling of Torah behavior and viewpoints fits into Hashem's plan.

You gave me a lump in my throat, A Mother, with this...I learnt something from you by this...thank you Wink

ahuvah

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 4:08 pm
[I] [
Quote:
always find it interesting that Catholics find it acceptable to require that the bride or groom "converts" to Catholicism for a marriage
]
Cupcake
FYI
This is not a requirement

ahuvah

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 4:16 pm
[I] [
Quote:
always find it interesting that Catholics find it acceptable to require that the bride or groom "converts" to Catholicism for a marriage
]
Cupcake
FYI

ahuvah

Post Fri, Nov 23 2007, 4:17 pm
[I] [
Quote:
]
Cupcake
FYI

amother

Post Tue, Dec 25 2007, 12:53 pm
chavamom's answer is good.

This reminds me of the time my dd asked me why can't women be rabbis. I wasn't prepared for the answer so I merely said "there are practical reasons why it doesn't work."

thus, one could merely list the practical considerations

It is equally difficult for a frum person to be married to a non-frum person.... kashrut is one issue (we needn't mention taharat mishpacha) what schools the kids will go to; what and if the family will belong to a shul..

as another poster mentioned there are 2 things we don't discuss at work -- religion and politics. And why? Because it would create too much conflict. Imagine if a couple has differant belief systems, T

The unfortunate reality is that a Jew marries a [gentile](a) only when they aren't practising their own derekh. So the Jew doesn't care if the spouse brings in a tree or eats treif.

Thus, bottom line is if someone wants to build a Jewish life, Jewish home and Jewish family it can only succeed if both spouses are Jewish.

I guess the reason modern society is so confused about this issue, is because society just views marriage as a kind of living arrangement. (which is why ppl think gay marriage is an acceptable option.)We see it as a bonding of neshamot.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics