Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Who can afford to go to these pesach hotels,?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

little neshamala

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
we went to pesachforless. It's called that for a reason Wink but it was very nice. We only had one kid when we went so so it wasn't even close to 20,000....

Can you tell me more about this? In what way was it "less" and how was it nice? Sounds interesting!

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:39 pm
I go and I can afford it bh.

You don’t have to spend that money.

To us, it’s important enough. We love every minute of it.

You should spend your money where you feel like it’s important.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:47 pm
there's a thread about pesachforless but in summary. When I went they had a adult run the kids program who I liked so for me that was a huge deal. The food was fine besides for the fact that it wasn't gebrokts so no matzah pizza etc. Wink but that's to be expected. I think they had some entertainment but it wasn't like other places that try to get a famous singer, and famous lecturers etc.... there was a tea room but it didn't have every imaginable cake etc. etc. the point of the program is to have a nice program for people who want to go away but can't afford to pay for a luxury program. Basically it probably won't "wow" but that isn't their goal and that isn't what we were looking for. It was a few years ago.

Marz613

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:
I wanted to be away. The thought of being at the seder without that missing family member is very painful.

I have worked on a pesach program in the past and there are many people who go because of this exact reason. Even if they can't afford it. The thought of being home without their child/spouse/parent/sibling is just too much.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:50 pm
[quote="little neshamala"]Not everyone who goes is either rich or irresponsibly swiping. I know someone who cuts back on debatable necessities and puts the money away for crazy splurging like pesach hotels.

She cleans the house with her husband and kids, and every week that the house is clean by cleaning lady standards, they put the money that wouldve gone to the weekly cleaning lady in the fund.
She does the same with washing/setting her sheitels (and has acknowledged that she doesnt look as nice as if it would be set by a shaitl macher but its worth it for her), and doing her own waxing etc (same acknowledgment)

Saving like this can get you to a pesach hotel every year or two (or three..depends how big your family is)[/quote

This sounds like me. No clean lady, no manicures, hardly any new clothes, live in small apartment, etc etc, Pesach is my splurge. It's what I choose to spend on.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 3:54 pm
This sounds like me. No clean lady, no manicures, hardly any new clothes, live in small apartment, etc etc, Pesach is my splurge. It's what I choose to spend on.[/quote]

Just wondering why someone would splurge on a pesach hotel and not save up for a bigger place to live, a bigger apartment or a house.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:01 pm
[/quote

This sounds like me. No clean lady, no manicures, hardly any new clothes, live in small apartment, etc etc, Pesach is my splurge. It's what I choose to spend on.[/quote]

You must be making a high enough salary to be paying full tuition to be able to do this as anyone who does not pay full tuition and then saves on the above mentioned items to go away for pesach will not be given tuition deductions by the schools.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
[/quote

This sounds like me. No clean lady, no manicures, hardly any new clothes, live in small apartment, etc etc, Pesach is my splurge. It's what I choose to spend on.

You must be making a high enough salary to be paying full tuition to be able to do this as anyone who does not pay full tuition and then saves on the above mentioned items to go away for pesach will not be given tuition deductions by the schools.[/quote]

I didn't say anything about how many children I have. Nor if my children are school age.

I live below my means in many many ways.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:06 pm
amother wrote:

Just wondering why someone would splurge on a pesach hotel and not save up for a bigger place to live, a bigger apartment or a house.[/quote]

A bigger house/apartment means bigger expenses. Tiny living is a thing. I also can't afford a bigger apartment in my area. And staying put makes good financial sense until we figure out where to go next

Last edited by pesek zman on Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:08 pm
who can afford the pesach programs?

People who make a lot of money such as someone who earns $400,000 has a small family can budget to put away $20,000 as many of us make do with much lower salaries.

People who have businesses like stores that are very profitable or work in diamonds and make large profits. People who own nursing homes etc. have a lot of money and can afford these prices.

People who own newspapers that are read by a large population and are selling well can afford these prices.

Then, there are some "regular" jobs that people have but boruch hashem they are able to earn much more than the "average" salary by working for better companies.... like some accountants, finance.... etc....

People who are high paid surgeons, lawyers working for top firms..... can afford these prices. Some doctors and dentists who are popular and sought after can afford these prices.

There are neighborhoods of people in this category that can afford those houses in that neighborhood because they earn a lot and they can afford the prices for the pesach program even paying for

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:28 pm
My ils take all their children and grandchildren to a Pesach hotel every year. None of us can afford it ourselves, if ils weren't paying, we wouldn't go. Fil is an investment banker, mil owns a lot of real estate. That's how they afford it. Most of the people I know on these programs are business/real estate owners, or in very high paid professions (banking, partner at major law firm). The people who are in my age group are mostly there on their parents' dime. Some people are able to go by working for the program either as one of the lecturers or for the caterer or in the day camp. Most people don't go the whole time either, plenty are there just for the first or second half. Dh and I are well paid professionals and are able to pay all our bills including full tuition plus full time cleaning help and smaller vacations, but no, we don't have 20k to drop on a Pesach hotel. Really, not that many people do. My ils pay over 100k to have everyone there. There are some other families I know like that, but it's not that common.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:29 pm
[/quote]

You must be making a high enough salary to be paying full tuition to be able to do this as anyone who does not pay full tuition and then saves on the above mentioned items to go away for pesach will not be given tuition deductions by the schools.[/quote]

Trust me, making enough to pay full tuition is by no means necessarily wealthy enough to easily afford a pesach hotel. Thats why people choose to cut back drastically in one area, in order to splurge on another.

Some places have cheaper tuition (lakewood is way cheaper than monsey).
And some families pay full tuition, then dont have much left over.

So you decide what to spend on with what little is left.
Some people use it to lease reliable cars and have cleaning ladies. And others go to pesach programs and clean their house etc themselves.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 5:38 pm
I live near one of these pesach resorts and they let the locals join for chol hamoed entertainment.

I took my kids for a concert and honestly I don't see the excitement of a pesach hotel.

Some of the kids there were really behaving obnoxiously. I can't imagine spending a while YT in close quarters with people like that

And the whole atmosphere was so devoid of anything spiritual. Just disgusting amounts of food (no the food itself didn't look disgusting at all, just the lavishness and amount of food) and insipid entertainment. Not my cup of tea thank you.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 5:59 pm
My friend went away for second days pesach. She told me it costed her like $1,600. I was thinking not to bad. Now I'm wondering if she said the truth. She has 4 kids.

LittleMissMama

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 6:06 pm
Some of my friends do this program. You rent a condo or house and eat in your own space. You pay per person for food too. It ends up being about $10K for a family of 6, including gratuity and stuff. They have a tea room, too, and day camp but (I think) no extra entertainment at night. Each house has a screened pool which is cool and there are things like tennis courts, game room etc

https://www.adifferentpesachpr.....alms/

supermamma

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 6:43 pm
Not our place to speculate where people get the money to go. But some cheaper alternatives to a pesach program are
1. Renting a house in a frum community, koshering it for pesach & either cooking there or ordering the food.
2. House swapping your pesach cleaned home for someone else’s in a diff city or state. Same as above for food.
3. Going to a hotel as a staff member in exchange for free/low cost rooms/meals. Mashgiach, day Camp worker, specialty like dancing or some entertainment, Chazzan etc.
4. Staying home & getting cleaning help or more cleaning help than usual.
5. Staying home & ordering the food and/or waiters for the sedorim or babysitters so u can go to Shul.
6. Going to a bare bones program pesach for less etc.
7. Renting someone’s bungalow or summer home for a cheap price where they will be having minyan.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 7:19 pm
Everyone has different ideas about money. Some feel that if they are making the money why not spend it and enjoy. Others feel like they never have enough saved.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 7:38 pm
LittleMissMama wrote:
Some of my friends do this program. You rent a condo or house and eat in your own space. You pay per person for food too. It ends up being about $10K for a family of 6, including gratuity and stuff. They have a tea room, too, and day camp but (I think) no extra entertainment at night. Each house has a screened pool which is cool and there are things like tennis courts, game room etc

https://www.adifferentpesachpr.....alms/

This program is AWFUL. we went last year and were sorely disappointed. It’s extremely basic - very very basic food (we constantly didn’t have enough), which wasn’t great anyway. No tea room or any extras. “Program” was lazy and uninteresting. For the amount of money we spent, I would at least want some competence. Not to mention not feeling constantly hungry.

Just an all around really bad experience. Stay away.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 8:34 pm
If you are just a couple or one or 2 small children, you can always try to take a cheap room or an airbnb near a big program and pay for a few meals or kiddushin at the program-hotel.
Sometimes they will agree, if they anyway are completely booked and have no more rooms, but there's tons of food that will go to waste.
It pays to ask..

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
we went to pesachforless. It's called that for a reason Wink but it was very nice. We only had one kid when we went so so it wasn't even close to 20,000....

4 years ago they quoted us $5k for a couple, 1 child + 1 nursing baby all in one room.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics