Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Who can afford to go to these pesach hotels,?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
I live near one of these pesach resorts and they let the locals join for chol hamoed entertainment.

I took my kids for a concert and honestly I don't see the excitement of a pesach hotel.

Some of the kids there were really behaving obnoxiously. I can't imagine spending a while YT in close quarters with people like that

And the whole atmosphere was so devoid of anything spiritual. Just disgusting amounts of food (no the food itself didn't look disgusting at all, just the lavishness and amount of food) and insipid entertainment. Not my cup of tea thank you.

I went to a pesach program and just because there is a lot of food does not mean that people are stuffing themselves to no end. However, what was great about it was that you don't have to clean before pesach and dont have to spend time making the food/serving it.... However, to judge and say it is "devoid of spiritual" is very mean and untrue. Why can't people at the resort have a spritual seder and seudos? They can! Just because the food is prepared for them and served to them does not mean they are not spiritual!!

simba

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 10:40 pm
Not me!

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
I live near one of these pesach resorts and they let the locals join for chol hamoed entertainment.

I took my kids for a concert and honestly I don't see the excitement of a pesach hotel.

Some of the kids there were really behaving obnoxiously. I can't imagine spending a while YT in close quarters with people like that

And the whole atmosphere was so devoid of anything spiritual. Just disgusting amounts of food (no the food itself didn't look disgusting at all, just the lavishness and amount of food) and insipid entertainment. Not my cup of tea thank you.

I don't know what resort you went to. All I can say is I went to Pesach for Less one year, and PINE several years and I always had a fantastic time, the food, the entertainment,the people I met.

Conversely, numerous times I went to my husband's friends and family in Monsey. You want to talk obnoxious spoiled children and lacking ruchnius,
Lets just say, when I was in my 20s/30s I was addicted to Bold and Beautiful and other Soap Operas. Yom Tov in Monsey, makes those shows incredibly boring.
I'll take Hotels for 500, Alex.

cooksallday

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 11:49 pm
I worked at a pesach hotel a few years ago when I was single, I got paid and didn't have to pay anything. It's different because I was working so I didn't enjoy the programs. There was a ton of food, tea room, buffets every day, etc. Unless you paid extra, everyone eats at their own tables in a huge dining hall for the sedarim. Definitely doesn't have the same ambiance as making pesach in your own home. It was so noisy, we could barely hear our own table. There is definitely a plus to not having to clean and cook for pesach but there is something special about making it at home, and also not spending thousands of dollars. But to each his/her own. It definitely was a memorable experience. I wouldn't be interested in doing it now though.. I wouldn't be able to make all my favourite recipes Tongue Out.

jkw

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 8:36 am
This!
"1. Renting a house in a frum community, koshering it for pesach & either cooking there or ordering the food."

We are trying to do this in the Midwood/Brooklyn area so we can be with our grandchildren for Pesach. Actually just need a place to sleep and make coffee as my DIL wants to make at home. Local references. All leads welcome! TIA

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 9:05 am
In my experience for the most part the people who go to pesach hotels are extremely wealthy. It's not a question of how they can afford it, it's just a part of their lifestyle. It's not something that most regular middle class people can even think of doing. They are not saving and putting away for pesach, they are millionaires.
Maybe a small portion of people are the ones who work at the programs, scholar on residences, and some who are sponsored or save for it but that's not the main clientele of pesach programs.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 9:11 am
OP, the vast majority of us don't go to Pesach hotels. So you are in good company.
As a travel agent I know Passover is THE most expensive holiday during the year. Always. And in everything. Flights, hotels, food, you name it.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 9:32 pm
Last three years we've gone to programs. First year was a shmantzy one. It was nice but not really "us". Found a smaller heimish program last year and it was lovely. No one trying to impress anyone, simple food the way we like. We are not wealthy, but B"H have a nice parnassah. Only our youngest was with us at hotel. This year I have a not-so -frum child coming and don't think he'd be comfortable at program. I am overwhelmed with the thought of making Pesach now! We may have seders here and go for Chol Hamoed and last days, as ds will be returning to school. We actually made friendly connections last year and more than 50% come every year. I do like having seder home because we can focus and it's so much more meaningful (it's true it's hard to hear in a big room), but the month vacation (or more) from cleaning is so wonderful for my health and sanity.

bobeli

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
Last three years we've gone to programs. First year was a shmantzy one. It was nice but not really "us". Found a smaller heimish program last year and it was lovely. No one trying to impress anyone, simple food the way we like. We are not wealthy, but B"H have a nice parnassah. Only our youngest was with us at hotel. This year I have a not-so -frum child coming and don't think he'd be comfortable at program. I am overwhelmed with the thought of making Pesach now! We may have seders here and go for Chol Hamoed and last days, as ds will be returning to school. We actually made friendly connections last year and more than 50% come every year. I do like having seder home because we can focus and it's so much more meaningful (it's true it's hard to hear in a big room), but the month vacation (or more) from cleaning is so wonderful for my health and sanity.

can you pm me the information please?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:22 pm
We go with my family to a hotel every year. It’s very expensive. But it’s the only way we can all spend pesach together. And it’s really beautiful. Family being together. Nobody has to cook, serve. Whole family looks forward to this the whole year. Most people who go to the pesach program we go to are very very well off.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:
In my experience for the most part the people who go to pesach hotels are extremely wealthy. It's not a question of how they can afford it, it's just a part of their lifestyle. It's not something that most regular middle class people can even think of doing. They are not saving and putting away for pesach, they are millionaires.
Maybe a small portion of people are the ones who work at the programs, scholar on residences, and some who are sponsored or save for it but that's not the main clientele of pesach programs.

A friend of mine is not wealthy, but they have a free apartment. So she can afford the Pesach hotel. You just never know.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:30 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
You want to talk obnoxious spoiled children and lacking ruchnius,
Lets just say, when I was in my 20s/30s I was addicted to Bold and Beautiful and other Soap Operas. Yom Tov in Monsey, makes those shows incredibly boring.
I'll take Hotels for 500, Alex.

What do you consider obnoxious and spoiled?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:37 pm
amother wrote:
What do you consider obnoxious and spoiled?

You kinda of had to be there.. On second thought, be happy you weren't

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 12:21 am
So, I personally can't afford it, but to whoever can afford it- Totally go!!! So awesome!! Seems like a very good use of money to me! I always think it's very smart that people who can afford it go to these things. Why stress out if you can relax and vacation? I'm a fan of these pesach getaways for sure.

shanabanana

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 4:40 pm
OP, I am sorry for your loss and I strongly feel that you should go to a pesach hotel!
My in laws go to a hotel with a really nice crowd, all types of families and well run program.
My mother in law knows for a fact that many of the families at the hotel are there through different organizations.
Do you know if any organization would pay (or a nice amount of it) for your family to a pesach hotel?
If not, then let me know if you want more information about the program my in laws go to, because they personally know the family who runs the program and I would not be surprised if they let you join their program for free or for minimal charge.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:49 pm
shanabanana wrote:
OP, I am sorry for your loss and I strongly feel that you should go to a pesach hotel!
My in laws go to a hotel with a really nice crowd, all types of families and well run program.
My mother in law knows for a fact that many of the families at the hotel are there through different organizations.
Do you know if any organization would pay (or a nice amount of it) for your family to a pesach hotel?
If not, then let me know if you want more information about the program my in laws go to, because they personally know the family who runs the program and I would not be surprised if they let you join their program for free or for minimal charge.

Op here. What organization would help me pat for pesach? Don't think so....

shanabanana

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. What organization would help me pat for pesach? Don't think so....

If you mean that you do not think that they would pay for something like a pesach hotel, well it all depends. If a family struggling to pay their bills asked to be sent to a pesach hotel that would be crazy! You on the other hand would love to go to a pesach hotel so that you can be away for yom tov to lessen the pain of the loss, in my opinion that is a valid reason! being in a hotel would offer you the peace of mind and distraction you probably so need.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 6:00 pm
I can’t afford to go but would love to contribute to you so that you can. It’s posts like this that make me wish there was an easy way to share the “wealth” thru imamother.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 6:00 pm
I know people who rent apartments in Florida and have all the meals catered. It is still a vacation but much more affordable. Also I am under the impression that a hotel is really hard to manage if you have small children who need to go to sleep during the seder. I cant remember if that applies to you or not. You can disregard if it doesnt.

shanabanana

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 6:20 pm
OP, please PM me if you want information for the pesach program my in laws go to, they may be able to help you out
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics