Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Instant Pot Shredded / Pulled BBQ Chicken - advice needed

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 4:41 pm
Hi, any followers of my adventures in pressure cooking out there.........

I found this recipe
https://cookfasteatwell.com/pr.....cken/

I want to try it.

Do you think I have to defrost the chicken breasts before I do it? I usually cook frozen (maybe a bit defrosted, but definitely not defrosted all the way) chicken breasts in the Instant Pot for 12 minutes on high pressure. This is 15 minutes, and those extra three minutes are a long time, in the Instant Pot.

Pressure Cooker Pulled Chicken
Pressure Cooker Pulled Chicken is quick and easy way to enjoy the flavor of BBQ all year round. Serve on toasted hamburger buns or with a side of cornbread or French fries.

Servings 4 servings
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, mined or put through a garlic press
3-4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon water
Instructions

Select the saute setting on your pressure cooker. Heat the oil until it shimmers but does not smoke. Add the onions and cook until soft, about three minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.

Turn the saute function off. Add the chicken. Pour the barbecue sauce and water over the chicken. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.

Lock the lid into place. Set the pressure valve to the "sealing" position. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.

When the cooking time completes, quickly release the pressure by turning the pressure valve to "venting." Open the lid away from your face and remove the chicken from the pot with a pair of tongs. Place the chicken on a plate and allow to rest for five minutes.

While the chicken rests, turn the pressure cooker to the saute function. Set the saute function to low. (On an Instant Pot, hit "saute" then press "adjust" until the light over "less" is lit.) Cook the sauce until it thickens, about three minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the sauce from burning. Remove the pot from the pressure cooker and place on a trivet.

Using two forks, shred the chicken. Pour half the remaining barbecue over the shredded chicken. Adjust the amount of sauce as desired.

Recipe Notes
Barbecue sauce tends to be thick and can sometimes cause a pressure cooker not to reach the correct pressure. To solve this problem, add one tablespoon of water to the sauce before using. If your sauce seems especially thick, add two tablespoons of water. The sauce is thickened at the end of cooking. So don't worry about adding to much water.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 5:39 pm
Do it the way you usually do chicken breasts so if you've done it frozen before you can do that here too.
But the extra few minutes is probably so you can shred the chicken, even though sometimes that also means a drop dryer, but there's sauce too which will probably counteract that.

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 5:47 pm
The beauty of the IP is you never need to defrost

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 25 2017, 5:50 pm
Thanks, everyone!

I will keep you posted about how it comes out. I'm hoping for another winner. So far, IP has been a great investment.

I love how I can sort of tandem cook. Make one recipe. Put in IP.
While it's cooking, put together the other one, and usually roast some veggies on a tray in my oven.

By the time first recipe is done, I can stick second recipe in, and then I have two nights worth of suppers in under an hour.

I also love the texture of chicken from the instant pot, and I love how beef stew chunks (the cheap ones) come out velvety soft.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey