Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Need ideas to fill 3 hours of cleaning help
1  2  Next

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 11:55 am
I have 3 hours cleaning help a week through a cleaning agency. Thing is, I am pregnant with my first and haven't cooked in almost 2 months due to severe nausea so the kitchen is clean. I live in a relatively small apartment. I just don't know what to give her each week. I have her clean my bathroom, wash the floors, change linen every other week, wipe down the furniture. I had her polish silver and clean my fridge but that doesn't need to be done often. My apartment is neat, I just really needed someone to do the linen, bathroom, floors etc. Any ideas of what else can be cleaned? I almost feel like canceling because every week I feel so pressured to find things to give her.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:02 pm
I am confused. If you don't thave 3 hrs worth of work for her, why are you contemplating hiring her for 3 hrs?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:07 pm
DrMom wrote:
I am confused. If you don't thave 3 hrs worth of work for her, why are you contemplating hiring her for 3 hrs?

It was the only way I could get cleaning help (they really want full days) and the cleaning agency said I need to give a minimum of 3 hours. I'm paying a lot for those 3 hours and she ends up wasting so much time because there just isn't work to do. But I physically can't be cleaning the bathroom or floors now...

slinky

Walls, oven, stove, ceiling corners, light fixtures, windows, doors

Blessing1

Even if you don't use the kitchen, it still needs to be cleaned. Floors, table, chairs, trash can, fridge. That alone can take over an Hour. Bathroom, all floors, linen, furniture that's 3 hours. Maybe throw in ironing.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Tue, Dec 26 2017, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:30 pm
Give her laundry to fold and iron. Clean the windows dust vaccum organize etc... if you need help in kitchen like cutting vegetables peeling I know you said you’re not cooking but maybe if she does the prep work like cleaning chicken you’ll find it easier and maybe a help. When I’m pregnant and nauseous my housekeeper does a lot of prep in kitchen.

simba

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:32 pm
Send her to my house!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 12:55 pm
Let her do all laundry folding ironing. You can start cleaning out the closets for pasach.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 2:21 pm
Have her cook for you.

Do you have kids?

If you do and you can’t fill 3 hours a week, you must be some kind of Wonder Woman.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 2:36 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Have her cook for you.

Do you have kids?

If you do and you can’t fill 3 hours a week, you must be some kind of Wonder Woman.

She said she’s pregnant with her first

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 4:25 pm
Make a rotation of deep cleaning areas to be done 1 a month.
Besides the basic cleaning.
Windows should be done 1x a week
Also fridge.

Deep clean and organize inside kitchen cabinets
Deep clean and organize closets
Deep scrub walls and baseboards.

She can help you bulk cook so you can freeze some basic dishes from when you are tired, things like meatballs, prepped chicken, prepped fish, soups,

Lasagna can be pre-made and not baked.

All this she can help you with, as long as you turn on the fire and supervise.

rachl613

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 4:27 pm
Send her over to my place I'll help you use up the 3 hours!

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 4:34 pm
So maybe you only need every other week at this point in your life? There is no mitzvah to have weekly cleaning help.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 4:41 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
So maybe you only need every other week at this point in your life? There is no mitzvah to have weekly cleaning help.

I'll lose her if I don't have her every week. And I need the help at this point.

Thank you everyone for the ideas, I will implement some of them and see how it goes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 5:00 pm
Every week:

Strip, wash, dry linen and make beds
Sweep and wash all floors
Wash bathroom
Wash down kitchen
Polish furniture
Wash, dry and fold laundry. Iron as needed.
Empty 1 cabinet and 1 drawer each day, wash down, and organize (could be a bedroom drawer)

I can't see how there would be time for more, but if there is, switch off:

Refrigerator
Freezer
Oven
Windows
Walls
Bathroom walls and grout
Fixtures
Behind furniture

Have her cut veggies and fruits for you store in containers (don't mix types and they will last a few days).

Have her mix, form and freeze meatballs. Slice, bread and freeze cutlets. Clean and freeze chicken legs. Store these for after birth.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 05 2020, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 5:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Every week:

Strip, wash, dry linen and make beds
Sweep and wash all floors
Wash bathroom
Wash down kitchen
Polish furniture
Wash, dry and fold laundry. Iron as needed.
Empty 1 cabinet and 1 draw each day, wash down, and organize (could be a bedroom drawer)

I can't see how there would be time for more, but if there is, switch off:

Refrigerator
Freezer
Oven
Windows
Walls
Bathroom walls and grout
Fixtures
Behind furniture

Have her cut veggies and fruits for you store in containers (don't mix types and they will last a few days).

Have her mix, form and freeze meatballs. Slice, bread and freeze cutlets. Clean and freeze chicken legs. Store these for after birth.

Great list, thank you. I'm too sensitive to smells now and cannot tolerate any cooking but maybe later on in the pregnancy I can have her do those things.

How do you clean the freezer? My freezer smells but I don't know how to clean it without everything defrosting.

bargainlover

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 5:21 pm
She can prep the food and freeze it , no need to bake or cook now.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 5:25 pm
bargainlover wrote:
She can prep the food and freeze it , no need to bake or cook now.

This whole concept of having a cleaning lady do food prep is completely new to me. How does it work? I give her the recipe and show her where the ingredients are? And it’s okay to freeze raw lasagna, meatballs etc?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Great list, thank you. I'm too sensitive to smells now and cannot tolerate any cooking but maybe later on in the pregnancy I can have her do those things.

How do you clean the freezer? My freezer smells but I don't know how to clean it without everything defrosting.

Mixing the meatballs and breading the chicken won't smell. She'll freeze them raw and then clean up after herself.

As for cleaning the freezer, have her put down a disposable plastic tablecloth on the kitchen table. Empty the freezer of its contents and leave them on the table (they won't defrost in the 30 minutes (tops) this project takes). Deep clean the freezer. And then put everything back in an organized fashion.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 26 2017, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
This whole concept of having a cleaning lady do food prep is completely new to me. How does it work? I give her the recipe and show her where the ingredients are? And it’s okay to freeze raw lasagna, meatballs etc?

Do one thing a week.

One week give her the meatball filling recipe along with ground meat, breadcrumbs, eggs and spices.
If giving her the recipe is hard for her due to language barrier just leave her a package of ground meat, measure out the breadcrumbs yourself, and leave as many eggs as needed. Let her spice herself. And just show her to mix it all up in a bowl, form meatballs, then lay on a cookie sheet so they freeze not sticking together. Once frozen your dh can drop them all together in a Ziploc bag. At that point they won't smush together anymore.

For chicken just have her trim and wash the legs and lay in pans so they're ready to bake after you throw a store bought sauce over.

For cutlets, leave her a package of chicken breasts, mayo and a package of seasoned corn flake crumbs. Show her to slice the chicken, smear with mayo, dredge in cornflake crumbs and then stack up the chicken with pieces of parchment paper in between so they don't stick. Put the stack in a Ziploc bag and freeze.

You can also have her mix up dairy filling and stuff raw manicotti pasta. You can bake it fresh or put in the freezer for later.

Same for layering lasagna. You can freeze it raw or already baked. If freezing raw, you won't need as much liquid when baking.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics