Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to fix laptop noisy fan, and laptop hot to the touch

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:29 am
I have a Dell inspiron that's at least 7 yrs old, maybe 10.
The fan is too noisy for me. Is there a way I can lower the sound of the fan?
In addition, the laptop feels hot to the touch. Even on a steel mesh stand. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
These are not new problems. They have been on my to-do list for two years and I'm finally getting to them....

rachl613

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:35 am
Don't know how to fix it but next time look into a chromebpok. Their cheap, easy to use, and don't have many problems that regular laptops have like slowness, viruses, etc. Dh got me one for my birthday and I like it so much better than my old laptop. I can't believe how little he spent on it.

simcha2

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:36 am
Have you checked you tube?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 5:40 am
You may be able to clean the fan (or hire someone to clean the fan) with compressed air. I once did this with a laptop and it helped — there was a lot of dust and lint keeping the fan from spinning properly.

If you haven't backed up your computer lately, better do it now. Computers that old are generally not supported and are often not worth the cost of repair, so you may want to start shopping for a replacement.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 7:09 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You may be able to clean the fan (or hire someone to clean the fan) with compressed air. I once did this with a laptop and it helped — there was a lot of dust and lint keeping the fan from spinning properly.

If you haven't backed up your computer lately, better do it now. Computers that old are generally not supported and are often not worth the cost of repair, so you may want to start shopping for a replacement.

A person who is just good with a screwdriver should be able to do that and a few good puffs of breath should be able to get the dust out of the fan. But do it before your computer overheats and stops working, aside from not being worth fixing, it might even be hard to find parts for one that old.

If the fan is jammed it might be fixable with lubrication, or it might need to be replaced. But like above, it might not be worth the parts and labor for one this old.

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 7:14 am
I always have an external hard rive attached to my laptop that backs up every few hours. Every 3-4 years replace that external hard rive with a new one and just write the year o it with a sharpie That way you always have a back up of all the contents of your computer just in case it crashes....

You never know.

The Apple Genius said the external hardrives are fragile- dropping it one time could make it inoperable. That's why mine sits on my desk next to my laptop and doesn't move.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:22 am
I just had the fan replaced on my laptop, and it was really cheap. Totally worth it!

Older Dell, running Windows 7.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just had the fan replaced on my laptop, and it was really cheap. Totally worth it!

Older Dell, running Windows 7.

windows 7 here too. So using compressed air won't do? Need to have the fan replaced?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
windows 7 here too. So using compressed air won't do? Need to have the fan replaced?

Mine was making obnoxious grinding noises. I was afraid that if I let it go, it would fry the whole machine. I'm glad I got it done, it runs perfectly now.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 11:00 am
amother wrote:

No one can tell without looking, and it doesn't matter what operating system you're using.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 11:14 am
imasoftov wrote:
No one can tell without looking, and it doesn't matter what operating system you're using.

Correct. I only mentioned it, because it showed how old my computer was, and that it was well due for a fan replacement because of it's age.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 11:28 am
amother wrote:

Maybe a neighbor can share a can of compressed air with you so you can see if it makes a difference (without the investment in a full can)?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 2:30 pm
You can often find cheap parts that you need on eBay and replace the fan yourself.
Once it's replaced make sure you're using a ventilated laptop stand so it doesn't happen again.
These things often happen when the laptop is used a lot on a bed where there is no ventilation for the machine.

Optione

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 2:36 pm
We got a cooling board and put it under our laptop. The cooling board had a fan

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 27 2017, 2:48 pm
It's the beginning of the laptop's demise. In my experience when the fan started being to loud and the laptop started over heating, the laptop broke down within the next few weeks.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Dec 30 2017, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
It's the beginning of the laptop's demise. In my experience when the fan started being to loud and the laptop started over heating, the laptop broke down within the next few weeks.

It is possible that the malfunctioning fan caused the laptop's demise and that replacing the fan might have prevented that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics