Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you work if you werent actually walking away with a/t?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 4:19 am
By this I mean, you made a small salary and you realized that your entire pay check was going to be eaten up and you would have nothing left to actually put away a month?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 4:29 am
No. Which is why instead of working now (since my 2nd baby was born), I went back to school so I don't have this problem forever...

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:00 am
Yes! I like the structure and stimulation!

salt

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:41 am
Your entire pay check is being eaten up by what. I don't understand?
If it's being eaten up on groceries and bills I would work, because otherwise, what would I pay that with?
If it's being eaten up on child care, then no point working.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 5:58 am
Is there room to advance?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 7:02 am
No, I wouldn't. I'd rather be there for my family. But I would look into learning a skill, taking courses, setting up a business, or getting a certification in something I enjoy that would pay more down the road.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 7:12 am
amother wrote:
By this I mean, you made a small salary and you realized that your entire pay check was going to be eaten up and you would have nothing left to actually put away a month?

Short term or long term?

Sometimes you need to take a job that just covers your child care bills for growth opportunities. Other times, it's important to have professional skills and job history on your resume to go forward. It's easy to explain underemployed but it's harder to fall back on the "I had young kids so I took off" - it makes sense but employers don't like it.

If it's a totally dead end job, I would recommend doing something to increase your earning potential (go back to school, intern in a field you want to join etc) so that you have earning potential.

cm

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 7:19 am
I was a SAHM for a while and I know plenty of other women who drastically changed their careers at least in part because of the cost of child care. However, there are many other factors to consider (career trajectory, spouse's career situation, health insurance, personal preference/special situations, etc).

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 7:29 am
Not for something dead end, but for something with room for advancement, yes. Also, I prefer working to staying home, so as long as I'm on a real career path and going to get raises and stuff, it's worth it to go through the time when I'm breaking even/coming home with very little after childcare.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 7:50 am
I am in this situation now. I was a SAHM for many years and recently went back to work. Every penny I make now goes towards my "cost of working".

Car expenses, I spend more on food because I have less time (buy challah and school lunch), child care.... And don't forget taxes.

When I get a raise, which should be significant, I will start "earning".

I had stopped working originally when my sitter would have made more money than me (after my expenses and she got cash) babysitting 2 babies.

freedomseek

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 8:05 am
Find a better job or better arrangements to cut down costs!!!

ggdm

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 8:15 am
Yes, because I love what I do and I would go crazy without adult conversation now and then. And because I am not sure I would be able to get an interesting position again after a long break (say more than a year).

cnc

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 8:40 am
No I wouldn't.

simba

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 8:43 am
No way!
but I would volunteer for some organizations that I hold close in my heart.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:15 am
Sure. My paycheck gets eaten up by paying tuition and a mortgage. Had I not worked I'd be in debt. So I don't have money for savings , at least it's paying my bills.

simba

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:18 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Sure. My paycheck gets eaten up by paying tuition and a mortgage. Had I not worked I'd be in debt. So I don't have money for savings , at least it's paying my bills.

That is considered walking away with something. If your salary is $-7 an hour nad you are payin a babysitter $11, you then need to have a car to commute and buy lunch a few times a week you are left with nothing to contribute to household expenses hence you would be in the same financial position if you stayed at home.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:37 am
So if you're talking about losing most of your paycheck to childcare and related expenses, yes, as long as you could afford it and there was room for advancement in the field. I think one of the main reasons women often have far less lifetime earning potential in a particular field is because they drop out to raise children. Of course there's nothing wrong with that if you want to be home with them full time, but often staying in the workforce does far more than fill gaps in your resume-- it allows you to build necessary skills and experience and to stay current in a rapidly changing world. That's pretty valuable if you do plan to return at some point down the road.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 9:49 am
Most your paycheck may go towards childcare now but if you stop working, how will you pay tuition once your kid starts school?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
So if you're talking about losing most of your paycheck to childcare and related expenses, yes, as long as you could afford it and there was room for advancement in the field. I think one of the main reasons women often have far less lifetime earning potential in a particular field is because they drop out to raise children. Of course there's nothing wrong with that if you want to be home with them full time, but often staying in the workforce does far more than fill gaps in your resume-- it allows you to build necessary skills and experience and to stay current in a rapidly changing world. That's pretty valuable if you do plan to return at some point down the road.

Yes. I had a very difficult time getting back into a career track after being home for awhile. Honestly, I think if you plan on working in the future, it's a bad idea to leave the workforce entirely. Part time, even very part time is fine, it keeps you in the loop. Once you leave, it's very difficult to get back in, especially at the level you were when you left. I honestly regret my time as a sahm. It turned out I wasn't very good at it and didn't enjoy it much, and in the meantime I messed up my career prospects so badly I'll probably never catch up. I should have stepped back rather than stepped out.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:

If you mean eaten up by expenses that allow me to work - I.e. child care, gas, maybe a housekeeper, etc. Then no. I would not. I do not have a career that I love at this time so I can't see why I should.

If you mean eaten up with rent/ mortgage and food and necessities, but nothing extra to put away for a rainy day, well, obviously yes. I like eating and having a roof over my head.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics