Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Are all chassidish children moving to lakewood perfect???
1  2  3  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:43 am
I'm planning to move to lakewood very soon and can't find Yiddish speaking help for my ds. I feel like I'm all alone. Does only my child need help. Are all chassidish families there perfect??

faigyl

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:44 am
What do u mean by help?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:47 am
faigyl wrote:
What do u mean by help?

Emotional social help. Needs help in social skills, special ed idea

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:48 am
As faigyl said, what kind of help are you looking for? Shadow? Tutor? Other?
Your frustration comes through in your subject line but you might get some practical help if you change it to something like ISO help [define what kind] for chassidish child in Lkwd.
That you're posting in this forum already adds some important detail.

Hatzlacha!!!!

faigyl

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:49 am
Oh- ok. My daughter is in a special ed school. If you have any questions about that then I can help. I’m not chassidish.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:52 am
Obviously the kids are not all perfect in Lkwd. But chassidish kids in Lkwd speak English.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:53 am
It is much much harder to get services from the board of education in NJ.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 11:57 am
I assume she means its hard to find someone who speaks yiddish. Why dont u try calling some chassidish schools and ask them if they know of anyone?

keym

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 12:01 pm
You sound frustrated. Hugs. I want to point out a few things.
Lakewood is in a different state than brooklyn or monsey. IEPs are usually not transferable and getting services is different with different requirements.
Also most kids in Lakewood speak a decent English. There may not be many providers who are perfect Yiddish speakers and definitely not enough to choose from.
Many of the chassidishe schools are fairly new and may not know who to turn to to get everything. They mean well but have no experience. They also may not know their legal obligations.
Start off by reaching out to the Lakewood Board of Ed to see what the process is.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 12:15 pm
We were seriously planning to move to Lakewood from NYC, but dropped all our moving plans when my daughter, who is receiving some special ed services for social issues, seemed to regress beginning of this school year. We would probably get zero services for her in Lakewood and I do not want to take the risk of getting no help for her. This was a very tough decision, but hopefully the right the one.

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 12:35 pm
I moved from Boro park to Lakewood when my autistic daughter was 2. I didn't know then how much help she will need. And I'm happy I didn't because I wouldn't have moved. But I'm happy I did. I'm chasidish. My daughter didn't have a single word at age 2 and half. I had no problem giving her English speaking therapy because I wanted her to know English when she grows up and Yiddish she is learning at home. There were some people who thought it wasn't a good idea to mix her up with 2 languages. But I was determined that she will be bilingual. Now at age 4 almost 5 she talks and understands English and Yiddish well.
For me that was the easiest problem.

What age is your boy?
Can you afford to pay for a good insurance? If yes you can get excellent services.

The BOE in Lakewood will not be very helpful in my opinion. I had to fight them tooth and nail. But my daughter is getting great services now.
I have more experience with girls.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
We were seriously planning to move to Lakewood from NYC, but dropped all our moving plans when my daughter, who is receiving some special ed services for social issues, seemed to regress beginning of this school year. We would probably get zero services for her in Lakewood and I do not want to take the risk of getting no help for her. This was a very tough decision, but hopefully the right the one.

I commend your actions. I know someone who recently moved to one of the new chassidish developments with a child who is not the typical, and I very much fear for their future. They are sending the child to a mainstream school (a newish one) but I don't know how long it can last.

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
I commend your actions. I know someone who recently moved to one of the new chassidish developments with a child who is not the typical, and I very much fear for their future. They are sending the child to a mainstream school (a newish one) but I don't know how long it can last.

My opinion is different. I say just jump into it and once you are in Lakewood work hard to get the services you need. With hard work it's possible to get fantastic services. We are building the future for all future chasidish kids in Lakewood.
You can pm me if you have questions.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:56 pm
creditcards wrote:
My opinion is different. I say just jump into it and once you are in Lakewood work hard to get the services you need. With hard work it's possible to get fantastic services. We are building the future for all future chasidish kids in Lakewood.

I don't mind English speaking since he does understand some english. But need someone to understand what he says in Yiddish and just in case he doesn't understand something. Yiddish is his first language. He's 6. Also he learned to read chassidish way and can't mix him up to change that.

Creditcards- thanks for your support. Any idea where/how should start?

Stars

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
I don't mind English speaking since he does understand some english. But need someone to understand what he says in Yiddish and just in case he doesn't understand something. Yiddish is his first language. He's 6. Also he learned to read chassidish way and can't mix him up to change that.

I don't know anything about services in NJ but one thing I will say is kids are extremely resiliant (unless he has autism, then I'm not sure) and if you put him in a litvish school designed for his needs he will learn the havarah and within a year you won't even remember him speaking any other way.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:

Unless you give more details of what you need it's hard for anyone to help you.

What exactly are you looking for?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:01 pm
whichever chaider your son is going to will help and guide you. my kids are also yiddish speaking and we found yiddish speaking therapists. nothing to worry about. lakewood is way ahead in this area even better then just a couple of years ago. if you have a chaider you shouldnt worry.

I was suprized when I heard of a speach and ot therapist that speak in yiddish that are here in lakewood for quite and number of years. so op dont worry.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
Emotional social help. Needs help in social skills, special ed idea

your not being specific enough, so I will assume that you mean a regualar child that needs a social skills therapist. if your child cannot being in a regular school setting then that I dont know about. that mmight be a little more tricky.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
whichever chaider your son is going to will help and guide you. my kids are also yiddish speaking and we found yiddish speaking therapists. nothing to worry about. lakewood is way ahead in this area even better then just a couple of years ago. if you have a chaider you shouldnt worry.

I was suprized when I heard of a speach and ot therapist that speak in yiddish that are here in lakewood for quite and number of years. so op dont worry.

where did u get the therapists from? Is there an agency I should contact?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 28 2017, 2:06 pm
creditcards wrote:

Did you get help from an advocate? Also, it seems that your daughter is fully autistic. Kids who are only mildly autistic / "on the spectrum" have a tough time getting special ed services even in NYC. I would imagine it's impossible in Lakewood.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)