Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Are all chassidish children moving to lakewood perfect???
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 6:22 am
Op, your child needs to learn English, that will help him get better chances for a good therapist. Start from there and you will continue to the next issue. I think you should give it a chance. If your child is in chaider, then surely they know his issues

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 7:52 am
Moving to NJ from NYC for therapy in of its own give you less options all together. Even finding a Yiddish speaking therapist (excluding SEIT) in BP is hard especially the RSA people.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 9:02 am
groisamomma wrote:
Chemed is a clinic whose turnover rate is extremely high so be careful about relying on them for any long-term therapy.

I actually came back to this thread because I'm looking through a local paper now and came across an ad I think might be a place to start for imamothers looking to move here:

Speak It Up
Speech and Language Therapy
They accept UHC and Horizon HMO (JerseyCare/Medicaid)
They service your child in his/her school

The contact info in the ad says
C. Neustadt, MA, CCC-SLP
908-692-2272
Speakitupllc@gmail.com

Disclaimer: I don't know this person or anything about them.

Best of luck!

Thanks! Will save the info
Actually we will iyh rent for summer before deciding

21young

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 2:48 pm
I am chassidish, live in Lakewood, have a special needs son. His first language was English because we knew we would have an easier time getting him therapy that way - you have to teach him english to open that pool of therapists.

There are Yiddish speaking speech therapists, the ones I know are from Yutta Weiss’ agency and a man, forgot his name.

A new Cheder might be excellent in that they want to help and have small classes but they might not be equipped to help him. You must speak to the Cheder and make sure they can handle him, before moving, it will be a terrible disservice to your son if you don’t tell them anything and then they can’t help him.

And be prepared to pay for therapy, the Board of Ed gives very little for a 6 year old and you can’t choose your agency. You can go through insurance but that’s also not very much, so factor therapy into your costs of moving.

Good luck!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 6:01 pm
Op it's definitely a good idea to come for the summer before you commit to it. But you need to have access to good therapists to give your son the best shot.

Hatzlacha on your decision.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 6:03 pm
Is yutta Weiss a speech therapist?

21young

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
Is yutta Weiss a speech therapist?

I believe that she’s an OT but she has an agency that also offers speech, and that was where I got my Yiddish speaking speech therapist. Sorry the details are vague, this was a few years ago. Another excellent resource is Chaya Rozmarin, she’s a speech therapist at SCHI who is extremely knowledgeable.

21young

Post Thu, Jan 25 2018, 11:01 pm
OP and whoever else needed, I got a number tonight of an excellent speech therapist who speaks a chassidish Yiddish, pm me for details.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)