Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Pesach Cleaning, Time to Begin
1  2  Next

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:36 pm
I'm B"H expecting and I haven't made Pesach since I moved into my house. The first Pesach we moved here the house was clean and I had a brand new kitchen installed so I didn't have to clean then and last year I went away . This year I'm home. I work full time and only have Sundays to clean. I'm trying to get a Sunday cleaning woman to assist , but for now I don't have a cleaning lady ever and my house is in the need of a yeshua.
I want my Pesach cleaning to include spring cleaning as well since it's needed.
I plan on starting my cleaning next Sunday. I have a two story home . Please assist me in how to divide my Sundays for cleaning. Where do I begin?? Do I start in the bedrooms? The guest area? The closets? I prefer going room by room and doing a full thorough floor to ceiling cleaning, in addition to organizing .
I would love to have your advice as to where and what to start with. TIA

fleetwood

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:43 pm
I do basement first. Then bedrooms. I leave first floor till the Sunday after Purim.

Shoshana37

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 5:44 pm
I start cleaning after Purim

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:00 pm
My daughter started today.

Clean the places farthest from the kitchen and eating areas first.

You might want to find an older copy of Duby's lists or order the 2018 version.http://dubyspesachlists.com/

http://www.ok.org/es/article/d.....tips/

It is also a good time to start eating up all the chametz and to clean out one cupboard or area to store paper goods and non-perishables and you can go to http://www.kashrut.com/passover and see what you can by with only an OU or without a hechsher of any kind.

Get all routine appointments out of the way ASAP and utilize all of the sales going on now to make sure that you are not running at the last minute to get stuff that you can take care of now such as having enough tights for girls or white shirts for boys.

Take care of any purchases of cookware for Pesach now and review the kashering by reading old copies of Blumenkrantz.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:09 pm
Now is the time for organizing the bedrooms. 1 bedroom at a time. Organize the closet then any dressers. Once done with organzing have someone move the beds and furniture to wash behind. Or have your little ones crawl underneath while you supervise. Smile
Get the kids involved and make it fun. Buy a clothes folder board and watch how quickly and beautifully they'll fold and stack the clothes.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:23 pm
Can we please not mention pesach cleaning yet? Mad

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:

The next 3 parshas remind us of the Haggadah so it is a good time to get started, particularly if there is a baby on the way.

Personally I always regretted not taking care of things like shoes and orthodontist appointments until close to Pesach. Then there are the inevitable emergencies such as kids having asthma attacks from moving the dust around and other situations that take time to solve.

I think that if there is any way to at least take care of those things that could be done in advance, it would relieve loads of stress.

For lots of people, their kids are getting married before sefira, and in some communities that means before Pesach and for those who have bochrim who are away in yeshiva, they come home needing everything and need a dental appointment as well.

So those Yomtov clothing and cookware purchases, home repairs necessary for Pesach, finding cleaning services, figuring out beds and linens for guests, dealing with any routine appointments and tax filing, could usually be done before Purim.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:

Can you stay away from these threads?
I don't start til chodesh Nisan but understand those with little kids or pregnant who are happier starting now. Let them live. Let's not rain on their parade.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:10 pm
Bsha tova to you!

Start from the least used closets, rooms.. and go from there...

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
Can you stay away from these threads?
I don't start til chodesh Nisan but understand those with little kids or pregnant who are happier starting now. Let them live. Let's not rain on their parade.

It’s just that people spring clean and organize their entire house in the name of pesach cleaning, and it makes other people anxious that we have to start too.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
It’s just that people spring clean and organize their entire house in the name of pesach cleaning, and it makes other people anxious that we have to start too.

Don't mean to stress anyone out. I'm only starting early because I'm pregnant, don't have a cleaning lady and work full time. I know that I only have Sundays and I don't want have to cram but to rather spread my cleaning over time. I usually don't do the spring cleaning part but like I said , I haven't done spring cleaning in almost three years and it can no longer be neglected. Your house is probably cleaner than mine, please don't feel pressure. I just need to plan in advance so that I remain in good physical and mental health.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:

You know what? The last few years I was super busy, and I said, ONLY pesach cleaning, no organizing at all! Well, guess what? My house is still not organized, it just seems like erev pesach is the time to do it, or it just won't get done Sad .

If reading this makes you anxious, close the thread! I liked reading this, it gave me a push to do something which I knew I should be doing....

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:48 pm
b'sha'a tova!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 7:56 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Don't mean to stress anyone out. I'm only starting early because I'm pregnant, don't have a cleaning lady and work full time. I know that I only have Sundays and I don't want have to cram but to rather spread my cleaning over time. I usually don't do the spring cleaning part but like I said , I haven't done spring cleaning in almost three years and it can no longer be neglected. Your house is probably cleaner than mine, please don't feel pressure. I just need to plan in advance so that I remain in good physical and mental health.

so throw out the broken toys and torn books, and stuff that nobody wears and wash the curtains and get rid of expired food that no one eats, broken small appliances or furniture that you never bothered to fix or clothes that no one ever bothered to tailor or mend...

dust the pictures and the frames, put the seforim in some sort of order, toss out old cosmetics and expired medications

toss old worn out pillows and replace

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 8:54 pm
It’s good for you to know what you need to do to stay sane. I am going to start going through closets and doing some spring cleaning soon too. But with the full knowledge that it will not stay Pesach clean as I have really little kids who carry Cheerios everywhere. But if I do some organizing now, it will make it easier to clean later plus I will know who needs new clothes.
So I figured out over the years that starting earlier with Pesach cleaning doesn’t make it pesach clean early. So maybe reframe as “spring cleaning tips to make Pesach cleaning easier”? So people don’t get panic attacks? 😅
But yeah decluttering/organizing makes post Purim easier!!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:07 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
It’s good for you to know what you need to do to stay sane. I am going to start going through closets and doing some spring cleaning soon too. But with the full knowledge that it will not stay Pesach clean as I have really little kids who carry Cheerios everywhere. But if I do some organizing now, it will make it easier to clean later plus I will know who needs new clothes.
So I figured out over the years that starting earlier with Pesach cleaning doesn’t make it pesach clean early. So maybe reframe as “spring cleaning tips to make Pesach cleaning easier”? So people don’t get panic attacks? 😅
But yeah decluttering/organizing makes post Purim easier!!

That was what I always figured when I had kids in the house; that it had to be done in layers and the first layer was to rid the house of any and all unnecessary stuff and clutter.

At a certain point, the kids have to be contained with those Cheerios. Those were always my downfall.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:

Hugs for your anxiety. Best thing I can think of is to stay out of these threads. Why engage in an activity that is known to stir up anxiety in you? Or start a spin-off thread so we can support you.
Let us live and let live.
I start cleaning Rosh chodesh Nisan and can understand that we are not all woven of the same cloth. I support all women who have started spring cleaning and Pesach cleaning. Yes, it is Ok to do spring cleaning while Pesach cleaning.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:09 pm
amother wrote:
Hugs for your anxiety. Best thing I can think of is to stay out of these threads. Why engage in an activity that is known to stir up anxiety in you? Or start a spin-off thread so we can support you.
Let us live and let live.
I start cleaning Rosh chodesh Nisan and can understand that we are not all woven of the same cloth. I support all women who have started spring cleaning and Pesach cleaning. Yes, it is Ok to do spring cleaning while Pesach cleaning.

My DIL in Israel starts Rosh chodesh Nisan because they live in a small apartment and there is no way to keep it Pesachdik for longer than a couple of weeks.

tweek

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 11:20 pm
The winter is actually a great time to “spring clean”! Too cold to go out.....

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 12:19 am
PM'ed you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics