Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How to word invitation??

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:15 pm
How would you word an invitation for a formal sit-down dinner? I am concerned that formal dinner will convey fancy dress. It isn't. But I don't want anyone to think it's an open house to come and go either. I'm paying for full catered and waitered meal. How best to word this?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:23 pm
sit down dinner? Without the word formal. A different adjective like ... beautiful

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
sit down dinner? Without the word formal. A different adjective like ... beautiful

That's my place holder on the invitation right now. Just thought I'd see if there are any other options that work. I feel like it sounds slightly odd.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:28 pm
amother wrote:
That's my place holder on the invitation right now. Just thought I'd see if there are any other options that work. I feel like it sounds slightly odd.

Add an adjective other than formal.

What’s your tone for the night?

Optione

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:46 pm
A full dinner? A complete dinner?
Don't know if those sounds much better...

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 9:59 pm
What type of affair is it, is it something that people usually don't make a full sit down meal?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 10:05 pm
I think if you write “please join us for dinner...” no one will assume it’s a get up and leave whenever. You can add after time, “promptly at....” so guests know that it’s not come and go.
You can add dress code on bottom, so guest don’t feel the need to get too dressed up.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Dec 31 2017, 10:35 pm
Are these for printed invitations or an evite type of format? That makes a difference, too. If I receive a formal printed invitation in the mail, I am less likely to think it’s a “pop-in” type of event.
I hosted a sit-down multi course dinnner last week. My invitation said;

Please join us for dinner on Sunday evening, the 24th of December
At our home, 123 Main Street,
At 6 o’clock in the evening.

No one had any doubt that it was for a full dinner. I think the idea to write “promptly” is not a bad one. And people showed up at 6 pm promptly (except my waitstaff! They showed up at 6:25.... oops!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette