Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
No more flushable wipes, now what?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 1:22 pm
My kids (well ok me too) were using flushable wipes, but kept having plumbing issues. Plumber said not to flush them at all, not even 1.
So what can my kids use to get very clean (especially after a messy poop )?
Anon cuz I'm embarrassed

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
My kids (well ok me too) were using flushable wipes, but kept having plumbing issues. Plumber said not to flush them at all, not even 1.
So what can my kids use to get very clean (especially after a messy poop )?
Anon cuz I'm embarrassed

Same wipes, disposed in the waste basket, which gets emptied frequently.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 1:33 pm
Put a shopping bag or garbage bag in your bathroom wastebasket. Let the kids know wipes need to go into the bag/ garbage only ( I know a few people with this rule) tie up the bag daily and discard and replace with a new bag/liner and you can continue using wipes, just don't flush them .

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 2:51 pm
Tried throwing out, but the bathroom smells bad until the bag gets changed at the end of the day.

mango

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:06 pm
Use the scented garbage bags In a covered garbage.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
Tried throwing out, but the bathroom smells bad until the bag gets changed at the end of the day.

Use toilet paper for every thing but final cleanup. Those wipes shouldn’t have much on them.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:09 pm
Why can't you teach them how to use toilet paper instead of wipes, so they can flush.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:19 pm
1. Transition them to toilet paper. They can start with lightly wetting them and slowly stopping even that. Showers nightly.
2. Pay $$$ to put a grinder through your entire sewer system once a year to counteract the wipe stuff ups.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 3:25 pm
use a diaper genie and put the wipes in there like you would diapers.
I have seen a hack that you can put together a spritz bottle or something that you spray toilet paper and it works like wipes but never actually tried it.

The adults in our family first use toilet paper and the wipe is just the last thing to make us really clean. I admit I use wipes right away for non potty trained kids. Trying to teach my older dc to use toilet paper first but she really prefers wipes. Can't say I blame her!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:18 pm
I personally don't feel toilet paper cleans as well as wipes.
What is a grinder in the sewer pipes?
I think a scented bag in a covered bin or diaper genie are great ideas, thank u!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
I personally don't feel toilet paper cleans as well as wipes.
What is a grinder in the sewer pipes?
I think a scented bag in a covered bin or diaper genie are great ideas, thank u!

My colleague told me he chips in with all his neighbors to do it in their condo building so they can continue using wipes. He said it costs a fortune.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 01 2018, 4:35 pm
Agree with the above. Teach them toilet paper first, then wipes for final cleanup. Use a covered garbage with a bag in it and should be fine.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:06 am
Get a bidet attached to toilet seat!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:20 am
You need a washlet. This one is non-electric and inexpensive but cold water only. We own one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr.....psc=1

Lots more, both electric and non-electric; https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref.....02532

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 10:29 am
OP, 1st use toilet paper, then wet wipes. Not difficult to get used to.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:22 pm
My family made the transition from wipes to wetting toilet paper. I find that Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper works best. It's thick and absorbent. Now, years later, I don't think I would go back to wipes, even if my plumbing allowed it.

lizard8

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:28 pm
When I finally taught my 4 year old how to wipe himself, I was so excited. I taught him to put tissues/wipes in the garbage (we have septic, so only tp can be flushed). Now the garbage is disgusting, he uses a million tissues and it stinks. I can't make him take the garbage bag with him to the kitchen, and he doesn't need to tell me when he uses the bathroom. I guess I have to start teaching him how to use toilet paper...

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:36 pm
Miss Bidet -- easy to install to existing plumbing in less than 10 minutes.
But- it's cold water only, Good for Shabbos.

Moving soon and in my new house I installed a bidet sprayer with both hot and cold, but this requires new plumbing in the wall.

I think they have this in Israel.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:47 pm
We use a squeeze bottle. It was the bottle my midwife gave me to use postpartum. It works pretty well. Just fill in the sink with warm water and aim to the back. It cuts down on the amount of tp you need as well. Eventually I will probably install a bidet.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 2:52 pm
witch hazel on toilet paper ... it not only cleans but keeps the PH levels balanced
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics