Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Where to buy complete fur coat
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
If you're taking about the rabbit fur coats they run about $2k.

Is this an instance of, "you get what you pay for"?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 02 2018, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:
I try to avoid leather handbags. I do wear leather shoes. I did say I am not an animal activist or a vegetarian. I admire those who don't wear leather shoes, but there are so few alternatives for me shoe-wise that I just buy leather.
I think fur is much worse though, maybe because it's so in-your-face and because each fur coat requires more animals than one pair of shoes.
I certainly haven't bought anything with down for years. I love down filled things, I have blankets and pillows I was gifted 15 years ago, but at the time I was not aware of the agony the process causes animals. I would never buy down now.

Fair enough for you. But the prevalence of down filled coats makes me think ‘people’ are still ok with animal cruelty at some level - but are I suppose are flaunting it less, as it’s hidden?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 2:53 am
Get your great aunt to move to Israel or Florida and give hers to you.
My friend's grandmother made Aliyah and gave her her mink coat.

My mother bought me a white rabbit fur jacket at a thrift store. I wore it through highschool.

Shoshana37

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 3:52 am
I own two as well brown and white but I honestly never liked wearing them and have no idea what animal they made from. If you want pm me I always wanted to sell them. Btw I was thinking to sell it for way cheaper.

crust

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 3:58 am
InnerMe wrote:
Really?? We must not run in the same circles...

I didn't say I see them in my circles. LOL

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 4:47 am
amother wrote:
do you wear leather shoes? Or use a leather handbag ? I’m curious

The leather trade is part of the meat industry. The majority of leather thats imported into the States comes from India, who used the whole animal for different purposes - they make the most money from single animal that way. There is money to be made from the hides - why discard them? Same with the bones and meat. My friend was the head mashgiach and shochet at a non glatt plant here in the states and he also confirmed that the hides are sold to leather makers. Its quite sustainable.

The fur trade is generally just the furs and the animals are raised for that alone. People find it to be distasteful.

In my own opinion, wearing a fur is a show of either coming from the old world where they had to wear fur literally to stay warm, or a show of new world ostentatiousness. And the idea that in some communities short fur coats are becoming part of the kallah gift package makes me wonder whats next.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 5:05 am
I bought my DIL a rabbit fur jacket on eBay made in China.
I paid $200 about 4 Yrs ago.

DD was also gifted a coat, but she was told to go to the store and pick it out, in Manhattan
Her's cost $800.

The coats are EXACTLY the same.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:00 am
amother wrote:

DD was also gifted a coat, but she was told to go to the store and pick it out, in Manhattan
Her's cost $800.

Mid you know which store it was?

Thank you everybody.
But please keep the animal conversation out it confuses me here.
Maybe start a spinoff?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:06 am
amother wrote:

Her's cost $800.

Do they look the same, or are they the same?

Be very wary of fur items made in China. They often use dog and cat fur.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:16 am
No joke. I bought my 7/8 length mink at Goodwill for 300$. Amazing Mazel. I called my husband when I found it and told him that I saved him thousands.

I took it to a furrier for some minor alterations.

If you live in a nice area or have access to second hand stores in nice areas, it's definitely worth looking into.

simba

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:29 am
pesek zman wrote:
No joke. I bought my 7/8 length mink at Goodwill for 300$. Amazing Mazel. I called my husband when I found it and told him that I saved him thousands.

I took it to a furrier for some minor alterations.

If you live in a nice area or have access to second hand stores in nice areas, it's definitely worth looking into.

That is awesome! My mom is a thrift store junky and has bought me an absolutely stunning wool coat with mink collar for $50. It's long and dressy and lined. Made in Russia, probably a million years ago. Looks like I spent loads on it!
So, I'll second your vote for bargain hunting!

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:32 am
I bought a beautiful fur coat for shabbos in Manhattan at a wholesale fur store. I paid about $600.
Google charm furs - Diana rosh. There are many other fur wholesalers in the area. You could get beautiful coats for $400 - $600
Some coats are not so warm though and may need to be lined.

I Think this is boro parks best kept secret!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:41 am
amother wrote:
Is this an instance of, "you get what you pay for"?

It's not meant to last years like a mink.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 7:52 am
simba wrote:
That is awesome! My mom is a thrift store junky and has bought me an absolutely stunning wool coat with mink collar for $50. It's long and dressy and lined. Made in Russia, probably a million years ago. Looks like I spent loads on it!
So, I'll second your vote for bargain hunting!

Yup! It had the Lord and Taylor fur salon label and you know that some old lady died and her relatives dumped her stuff at Goodwill.

Emily2846

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:03 am
amother wrote:
Where can I buy a full fur coat - those gorgeous ones I see out on the street?
And what are the approx price ranges for them?

would you consider buying a used one?
I have one that I am looking to sell. its worth somewhere between 5-10 thousand, but I am looking to sell it for $2500. please pm me if you would consider it. I'm sure you can fix it to whatever size you need as its probably a medium to large.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:44 am
I hope everyone on this thread who bought a fur coat asked a shaila before doing so. It is a potential to be oiver Zar Ba'al chaim

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 9:55 am
Rabbit fur doesn’t compare to mink. At all.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
I hope everyone on this thread who bought a fur coat asked a shaila before doing so. It is a potential to be oiver Zar Ba'al chaim

I don't have a fur coat, but why is it any different than anything else we do for our benefit even at the expense of animals well-being and even their lives? We shecht them to eat them and wear leather. My understanding is that this is all permitted because it's for human pleasure. Why should a fur coat be any different? Do you know of any mainstream posek who forbids fur coats on tzaar baalei chaim grounds?

perquacky

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:26 am
Who from NY remembers this place and their commercial that ran for YEARS?

(My kids would never forgive me if I bought a fur, and I'm not sure I could forgive myself, but when I saw this topic, my first thought was this store.)

perquacky

Post Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:27 am
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics