Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
School in Boro Park for DD w social issues
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:24 am
My 8 year old DD has a hard time with social skills and some difficulty with focusing, but is doing well academically. She gets speech therapy, counseling and occupational therapy through the dept. of ed. Which mainstream school in Boro Park would be able to give her the right support? I would prefer a school that teaches Yiddish but that's not a must. TIA for your help.

das

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:41 am
Bais yaakov of bp. They have yiddish classes.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:44 am
das wrote:
Thank you for responding. Do they teach limudei kodesh in Yiddish? Also, how are their class sizes?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:46 am
das wrote:

BYBP does not have Yiddish classes for the elementary grades anymore.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for responding. Do they teach limudei kodesh in Yiddish? Also, how are their class sizes?

My eight year old is in 3rd grade . She has 25 girls in her class. There are no Yiddish classes- limudei kodesh is taught exclusively in Hebrew. It's an excellent well run school. The administration has experience with many different types of students.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:49 am
If the child is a fights no school will want her. If she is a little socially akward. bybp has the child work with there social workers.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
My eight year old is in 3rd grade . She has 25 girls in her class. There are no Yiddish classes- limudei kodesh is taught exclusively in Hebrew. It's an excellent well run school. The administration has experience with many different types of students.
Do you know if they have meetings/ coordinate the service providers for each student so everyone is on the same page? Have someone supervising therapies? How involved will the school administration be?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know if they have meetings/ coordinate the service providers for each student so everyone is on the same page? Have someone supervising therapies? How involved will the school administration be?

They don't have any yiddish classes anymore not even preschool. If they still have some older classes that already started and are finishing up in yiddish I don't know.
You will need to be the one supervising the therapies and making sure everyone's on the same page. But there will be people to talk to like the English resource room coordinator and the Hebrew resource room coordinator.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 12:34 pm
Look into Gan Yisroel

unexpected

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 12:35 pm
Gan Yisroel?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 12:52 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Look into Gan Yisroel
Thank you. Anyone have some personal experience with Gan Yisroel vis a vis their special ed services department? Please share.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 12:55 pm
unexpected wrote:
Gan Yisroel?

Yes. They deal with many kids that have some issues.

rydys

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 1:46 pm
Gan Yisroel has an excellent special ed department. They also have transition classes which might be better for your daughter. You can speak to Mrs Ganzfreid who is the head of the special ed department.

unexpected

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 3:33 pm
Flower power I cross responded with you! I was actually suggesting Gan Yisroel

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 3:47 pm
gan yisroel the boys department also deals with kids that have issues that are cognitively ok but have disabilities like hearing impairment. excellent place. just sharing what I know

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 4:11 pm
There's a great school. It's called- the girls program it's part of chush. Reg girls who need a little help. 718-336-5296. 8 girls in class. Amazing staff.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:08 pm
unexpected wrote:
Flower power I cross responded with you! I was actually suggesting Gan Yisroel

Gotcha!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
There's a great school. It's called- the girls program it's part of chush. Reg girls who need a little help. 718-336-5296. 8 girls in class. Amazing staff.
I don't think my DD needs something this drastic. Are they in BP? At what point are these girls mainstreamed?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
gan yisroel the boys department also deals with kids that have issues that are cognitively ok but have disabilities like hearing impairment. excellent place. just sharing what I know
What grades do they have?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2018, 7:00 pm
rydys wrote:
Gan Yisroel has an excellent special ed department. They also have transition classes which might be better for your daughter. You can speak to Mrs Ganzfreid who is the head of the special ed department.
Thank you. What exactly is a transition class?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)