Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Could Oprah Winfrey be the next President of the USA?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:10 am
http://thehill.com/homenews/ca.....-dems

She is no more experienced in politics than Trump. Another entertainer in the White House. What would her platform be? Apparently even the Drudge report says that this is a possibility.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:14 am
Her platform is "I'm not Trump." That's enough for many. And the same people who complained that Trump had no gov't experience will not mind that she has none.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 9:20 am
Ironically, if Trump wins the nomination next time, you can be sure that he will do the smear stuff that the other candidates didn't do. The country will be plastered with pics of Oprah with Harvey Weinstein.

She's run a huge corporation. She's a billionaire who never went bankrupt. But there might also be a push to have an experienced politician back in office. Who would the Democrats put up against her?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:14 am
To imamother Linen:

Your wide brush of "the same people who complained that Trump had no gov't experience will not mind that she has none" does not reflect well on your thought process.

I did not vote for Trump. I thought someone with government experience would be better.
I would not vote for Oprah because she has no government experience. There is no disconnect.

Why are you assuming otherwise?

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:19 am
Perhaps we have entered the era of celebrity presidents. Oprah is very likeable in a way that the Donald — and Hillary Clinton — is not. For sure that counts for something.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:19 am
I think it’s more that Trump redefined what it takes to run for and be elected president of the US. If it was Trump against Oprah I would definitely consider Oprah.

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:25 am
I vote for Ellen degeneres for president!

I just love her!!!!!!!! LOL

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:28 am
Coffee Addict wrote:

Now that would definitely be breaking glass ceilings.
Here are two off the top of my head.
Female
Gay

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:30 am
The issue with Trump goes well beyond his lack of government experience. It's his corruption and lack of transparency, continued profiting from the presidency, hatemongering, instability, and refusal to listen or take advice from "the best people" as he promised he would.

I don't think Oprah is an ideal candidate, her elevation of quack pseudo-doctors as medical authorities is not an encouraging sign after all the junk science Trump has foisted on us. However, I have more trust in her than in Trump to sincerely do what she believes is right for the country rather than pursuing her own self interest.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:39 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Perhaps we have entered the era of celebrity presidents. Oprah is very likeable in a way that the Donald — and Hillary Clinton — is not. For sure that counts for something.

Ronald Reagan was elected quite a while ago.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:44 am
Raisin wrote:
Ronald Reagan was elected quite a while ago.

After being governor, fwiw.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
After being governor, fwiw.

Indeed. I didn't think he was a particularly good president, but he was smart enough to surround himself with competent people.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was also governor of California, but isn't eligible to be president.

We've also had Sonny Bono, Al Franken, Fred Dalton Thomas, and Fred Grandy (Gopher from the Love Boat, for gosh sakes) in Congress.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:03 am
Short answer to the title question: yes she could be.
(A lot better than Kanye west in my opinion!)

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:07 pm
oy

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:25 pm
It's too bad the US doesn't have a role equivalent to that of the Israeli President's office: A public figurehead who represents the country at official functions, funerals, ceremonies, etc.

She'd be great at that.

I think she'd be far too soft as a policy-maker or Commander-In-Chief. And her policies would probably skew too far Left for my tastes.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:27 pm
No question. If Donald Trump can be in the White House, Oprah certainly can.

I had mixed feelings when I heard she might run.... because I absolutely love her, and what she represents, but I really don't know what she would be like for Israel. I don't think it would be good.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:30 pm
DrMom wrote:
It's too bad the US doesn't have a role equivalent to that of the Israeli President's office: A public figurehead who represents the country at official functions, funerals, ceremonies, etc.

Does it work out that way in Israel? Does having a figurehead president free up the prime minister from presiding at supermarket openings and soccer championships?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:35 pm
amother wrote:
No question. If Donald Trump can be in the White House, Oprah certainly can.

I had mixed feelings when I heard she might run.... because I absolutely love her, and what she represents, but I really don't know what she would be like for Israel. I don't think it would be good.

JTA disagrees.

https://www.jta.org/2018/01/08.....ident

She's certainly well liked. She's run a business, and run it well.

But ... she's also promoted blatant quacks. And she has no government experience.

She may well be electable (although I think she's have to marry Steadman). I just don't necessarily think that's a good idea.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:38 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Does it work out that way in Israel? Does having a figurehead president free up the prime minister from presiding at supermarket openings and soccer championships?

Most presidents actually LIKE football. Trump, not so much. Not sure why he went to the game last night. (Completely off topic, but if Alabama hadn't won, that poor kicker would have had to change his name and leave the country. Roll Tide.)

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:47 pm
Coffee Addict wrote:

I love her too! I think she’s such a kind hearted and truly good person. But I don’t want her for president. She’s a liberal and I’m sure I would disagree with a lot of her policies.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics