Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Intermittent fasting
1  2  3  Next

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:43 pm
I know this is not for everyone but I am personally obsessed with it and just want to share this in case it could help someone. The way I have been doing it is fasting till 12pm and stopping to eat by 8pm. Its amazing and basically just skipping breakfast and preventing night time munching. I’m thin but have gained 5 pounds this winter so my goal is to lose that, eat healthier, stop binging, and exercise more. I started this a few days ago and I already lost 2 pounds! It is not only the weight loss aspect that I love. I love the fact that I do not have to think about food while fasting. There’s actually studies that show it reverses negative health issues and is anti aging. This is definitely a lifetime commitment that I really want to stick with. Maybe I’ll use this thread to update my journey.

Edit: I decided I don’t need to be anonymous about this

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:46 pm
Do u know if this is safe with nursing? I have 15 lbs to loose and it is not budging.
Do u care to provide a basic breakdown of what u eat in a day?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 12:53 pm
I do IF and love it!

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Do u know if this is safe with nursing? I have 15 lbs to loose and it is not budging.
Do u care to provide a basic breakdown of what u eat in a day?

I actually read somewhere that it is not recommended if you are pregnant or nursing Sad Very Happy

Last edited by Shani88 on Tue, Jan 09 2018, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
I do IF and love it!

Cool!! I literally started it a few days ago after watching a video about it that appeared on my fb newsfeed and then researched it a ton and became obsessed. How long have you been doing IF? Have you lost weight doing it? What hours do you follow?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:34 pm
What do you eat in the hours that you are allowed to eat?

shoshanim999

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
What do you eat in the hours that you are allowed to eat?

This is really the key question. The reason why 95% of diets fail is because they are restrictive. People at some point cave in and want to enjoy the carb/sugar foods that taste so good. I highly doubt the diet op is on will be effective by merely skipping breakfast and then eating as much fried food and high carb foods as she pleases. For this diet to work, a person likely had to be careful with what they eat the whole day- which is exactly what is difficult about dieting and why they fail.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:57 pm
I always thought skipping breakfast wasn’t good. Could someone explain?

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 1:59 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
This is really the key question. The reason why 95% of diets fail is because they are restrictive. People at some point cave in and want to enjoy the carb/sugar foods that taste so good. I highly doubt the diet op is on will be effective by merely skipping breakfast and then eating as much fried food and high carb foods as she pleases. For this diet to work, a person likely had to be careful with what they eat the whole day- which is exactly what is difficult about dieting and why they fail.

100% true. I try to eat very healthy and have a protein, fruit, and vegetable at every meal. I do allow small treats but because I’ve usually just finished a meal im not really hungry enough to overeat or take junk. By the time kids are asleep and I want to munch, my time slot has ended and I’m not allowed to eat. I’ll drink water and it forces me to go to sleep instead of waisting time staying up and looking at my phone. That’s why I feel like this is so much more than just a “diet”. It’s amazinb for my mental health. Is it easy? No. I’m actually at work and about to break my fast for the first time today in 5 minutes and it’s already 2pm. For anyone interested in what Im going to break my fast on, I’m going to have a Greek yogurt, Trader Joe’s protein bar, an apple, and cut up peppers. That’s what I packed so it’s great to break your fast at work where your healthy food is already prepared. Otherwise you may be so hungry that you just grab anything. All the weight loss strategies and tools still apply to enhance your choices. Meal prep is still a great weight loss key.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 2:05 pm
amother wrote:
Cool!! I literally started it a few days ago after watching a video about it that appeared on my fb newsfeed and then researched it a ton and became obsessed. How long have you been doing IF? Have you lost weight doing it? What hours do you follow?

I am not doing it for weight loss. I am doing it for health reasons. Fasting is a great way to promote release of old matter. I think key is in how one breakw the fast each day. Breaking a fast with heavy foods is not recommended and defeats the purpose. I break with water, tea, or fresh veggie juice.
If you're not doing it for health reasons, you can do it differently.

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 2:10 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I always thought skipping breakfast wasn’t good. Could someone explain?

I thought so too but the studies show this is a myth. In this diet, you eat break fast (break the fast) a little later. Overeating and eating junk food isn’t good. This diet limits your ability to do either.

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 2:17 pm
amother wrote:
I am not doing it for weight loss. I am doing it for health reasons. Fasting is a great way to promote release of old matter. I think key is in how one breakw the fast each day. Breaking a fast with heavy foods is not recommended and defeats the purpose. I break with water, tea, or fresh veggie juice.
If you're not doing it for health reasons, you can do it differently.

That’s great!!

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 5:45 pm
I also think this is great for me as a mommy. Shabbos and Sunday mornings I am so busy changing diapers and trying to give my kids breakfast, clean up after them, that I often cannot find time to sit down and drink a hot cup of coffee or eat a proper breakfast. And when I do it’s not enjoyable because I have to do it so quickly. With this, I can push it till they are (hopefully) napping. Also, shabbos day we don’t usually eat before 12pm anyways and snacking motzei shabbos is my biggest problem. Hoping this will help with that.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 10:05 pm
I suggest that people who are fasting, even 16/8, consider following a low carb or high fat low carb ketogenic food plan. I am fasting 16/8 most days and I believe that the effects of intermittent fasting broken up by a ketogenic diet are far greater than those who eat carbs above a ketogenic level. Also, being in ketosis seriously helps you to avoid the binging that happens frequently among intermittent fasters who don't do kept. Personally, I found that being on the jason fung Facebook groups (he is basically the hero of the whole IF movement) was insanely triggering because many people fast so that they can binge.

Intermittent fasting is valuable in managing blood sugar levels and in some cases there are processes that one can get started artificially in their bodies via fasting longer periods.

For me, its a balance between needing to keep my blood sugar low and stable and not triggering my compulsive overeating behaviours. I have been on a strict kept food plan since may 14, 2017 and have not cheated, even once. I've lost 65 pounds- the first fifty fell off and I've had to work for the next fifteen. I am still drastically overweight. I could probably lose another hundred and thirty, but what kept and IF taught me is that I don't need to have cravings that endanger my health, ever, if I stay on plan. Also, that I can do this.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shani88

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:08 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I suggest that people who are fasting, even 16/8, consider following a low carb or high fat low carb ketogenic food plan. I am fasting 16/8 most days and I believe that the effects of intermittent fasting broken up by a ketogenic diet are far greater than those who eat carbs above a ketogenic level. Also, being in ketosis seriously helps you to avoid the binging that happens frequently among intermittent fasters who don't do kept. Personally, I found that being on the jason fung Facebook groups (he is basically the hero of the whole IF movement) was insanely triggering because many people fast so that they can binge.

Intermittent fasting is valuable in managing blood sugar levels and in some cases there are processes that one can get started artificially in their bodies via fasting longer periods.

For me, its a balance between needing to keep my blood sugar low and stable and not triggering my compulsive overeating behaviours. I have been on a strict kept food plan since may 14, 2017 and have not cheated, even once. I've lost 65 pounds- the first fifty fell off and I've had to work for the next fifteen. I am still drastically overweight. I could probably lose another hundred and thirty, but what kept and IF taught me is that I don't need to have cravings that endanger my health, ever, if I stay on plan. Also, that I can do this.

What is the ketogenic diet? Please explain

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 09 2018, 11:23 pm
Shani88 wrote:
What is the ketogenic diet? Please explain

High Fat low carb, or even just low carb high protein, like Atkins.

Jason Fung is a Canadian Nephrologist who pioneered intermittent fasting for diabetes management. His web site is here:

https://idmprogram.com/

More about Ketogenic eating here:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Atkins' older books explain the science of ketogenic diets without all the processed **** they sell now.

Ketogenic diets are also used for managing seizures in epilepsy, but they tend to be much higher fat and lower protein.

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn.....-diet

And here is a programme that is not specifically keto, but people who are losing weight tend to avoid all carbs. It can also be used with fasting. There is an excellent secret facebook group. its kind of rowdy but there are 20K people in it and they have some very good personal experience.

https://vinnietortorich.com/intro-to-nsng/

I also have a 'Jews on food plans' secret facebook group. let me know if you are interested. We have 95 people after only a week!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:34 am
andrea levy wrote:

Amazing job! And if I remember correctly, this is a very special accomplishment since you are a chef and are therefore around yummy fattening food all day.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:49 am
My sister does intermittent fasting and lost a ton. It works well as long as you choose reasonable food during your eating timeslot. She mostly eats protein veggies and fruit and some carbs. For the best results do what andrea says. Combine IF with a ketogenic diet and you can lose a ton.

Optimystic

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:07 am
Never heard of this before this morning, and I am fascinated. As far as 16/8 fasting, does the fasting part have to cover the whole morning? Instead of 12 PM to 8 PM for eating, would 8 AM to 4 PM accomplish the same thing? (I'd make an exception for Shabbos. I understand we have an extra soul on Shabbos that absorbs the extra calories anyway Very Happy )

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 2:10 pm
Does it need to be 16/8? Can intermittent fasting work with say 12-14 hour fasting with 12-10 hours of eating?
Also do you consider drinking water/tea/coffee to break the fast or that can be drunk during fasting period?
Want to try this out ...currently doing paleo...no carb diet...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise