Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is it possible to be influential without money or yichus?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Boca00

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 12:39 am
crust wrote:
This.

I don't have money and I don't have (the nerve to think better of myself because of my) yichus.

I am a very influential person. I influence one person at a time. Sometimes that person is myself.

You're amazing, Crust. I absolutely love this post.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:05 am
Be the gadol hador? maybe not, though some were orphans who met the right people.

Be influential? sure

tf

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
so this conversation got started because I recommended to dh to read Dale Carnegie's book. He seemed to think in the frum world even reading such a book wouldn't help.

When I said yichus I included connections, dh has none. Why can't getting things done be based on actually getting things done. Some people are hard workers and "get things done".

Dale Carnegie's ideas have to be implemented into a person's lifestyle, meaning to be done over and over again and again. Eventually, as you begin viewing yourself differently, people also view you differently. It's not a one time thing, that you do his stuff and BOOM magic happens and people's view of you has changed forever. The opposite is also true. Even if a person is influential, if s/he starts influencing people to a wrong direction, it'll start wearing off, maybe not the first time around, maybe right away.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:58 am
Money gives ppl the confidence to be influential since unfortunately it makes most ppls attitude shift...

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:43 am
I have convinced large companies to hire OTD teens.
I have navigated legal cases for various people ( CPA, criminal and some basic issues). I will retain lawyers, coordinate with rabbonim etc..
I spoke to Rosh Yeshiva last night about a boy ( not my son) who needs specific help and the parents were not able to get it done.
Helped someone get out of jail.
I am in the process of closing on a house for someone who needs to have an all cash deal done, no it is not my money, but all my project.
I am is sales. I just signed a deal this Monday with the largest Kosher food manufacturer.

I deal with many things. I don't necessarily have all the answers but I am know what I need and I know how to get it.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:57 am
amother wrote:
I have convinced large companies to hire OTD teens.
I have navigated legal cases for various people ( CPA, criminal and some basic issues). I will retain lawyers, coordinate with rabbonim etc..
I spoke to Rosh Yeshiva last night about a boy ( not my son) who needs specific help and the parents were not able to get it done.
Helped someone get out of jail.
I am in the process of closing on a house for someone who needs to have an all cash deal done, no it is not my money, but all my project.
I am is sales. I just signed a deal this Monday with the largest Kosher food manufacturer.

I deal with many things. I don't necessarily have all the answers but I am know what I need and I know how to get it.

Do you earn a lot ? Have connections? Yichus??

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:06 am
amother wrote:
Do you earn a lot ? Have connections? Yichus??

My post from the from previous page:

I would label myself as influential. I come from a BT family and don't have big money.
I get involved in high profile issues, I am not intimidated by money or yichus, if and when I need something from someone I get it done.
I am charismatic, personable and persuasive. I really care.

That's what it takes.

simba

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:11 am
crust wrote:
This.

I don't have money and I don't have (the nerve to think better of myself because of my) yichus.

I am a very influential person. I influence one person at a time. Sometimes that person is myself.

Very powerful crust.
I beleive op is referring to those rich people you need to have connections to in order to get your kid pushed into a certain school?
It's impossible unless someone who gives the school tons of money calls them up and tells them they have to take your child. That is not called influential. That is a bad system and rut we have created.

Yes, in that case you need to be Rechnitz or your last name needs to be...

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:48 am
simba wrote:
Very powerful crust.
I beleive op is referring to those rich people you need to have connections to in order to get your kid pushed into a certain school?
It's impossible unless someone who gives the school tons of money calls them up and tells them they have to take your child. That is not called influential. That is a bad system and rut we have created.

Yes, in that case you need to be Rechnitz or your last name needs to be...

Then again, those schools may just be too old fashioned in their thinking for me and my family. If they won't accept us because we are not "influential" enough, I may just go and open a school that suits my child's needs.
Yes, I'm young and think I can conquer the world, but I'm not naive.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:07 am
crust wrote:
This.

Very true, we first need to start with ourselves and then our children and grandchildren and if we manage to influence them in a good way, then we have been influential without money or yichus. Some people with money and yichus didn't necessarily raise their children to avail themselves of the parent's influence.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:19 am
The question is, What are you expecting your husband to learn from the book.
Being an influential celebrity usually comes with life circumstances like wealth, yichus or going through something ( like Rubashkin etc)
But just being the go to person in Shul, at work or in your bungalow colony has more to do with personality and your willingness to get involved and get your hands dirty. That is something you can definitely learn.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 10:47 am
We come from no yichus and there's no big money either, yet I have a sister that has raised millions of dollars for an organization close to her heart. She is determined and passionate about her cause and the wealthy and yichusdige people actually take the time to stop and listen to her and what she has to say....

Purple2

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:09 pm
Taupe and cerulean I think are both missing the point. I know a lot of “regular” people who can do all the things you both mentioned. Those are all accomplishments that are on a one on one individual level. What I think of, when I think of someone who is influential is someone who can start organizations, make huge initiatives for the community.
Everyone’s answers about influencing one person... are all very nice but they’re not addressing the question.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:16 pm
camp wrote:
Taupe and cerulean I think are both missing the point. I know a lot of “regular” people who can do all the things you both mentioned. Those are all accomplishments that are on a one on one individual level. What I think of, when I think of someone who is influential is someone who can start organizations, make huge initiatives for the community.
Everyone’s answers about influencing one person... are all very nice but they’re not addressing the question.

My husband started an organization that helps a lot of people in the community. He’s not rich, nor does he have yichus.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:23 pm
There's a guy in Monsey that doesn't have yichus or money, but he has a mouth and "balls", pardon my language. He hounds schools to accept children they originally didn't and he doesn't give up until everyone he knows has a school that eventually accepts these kids. He is influential because he is passionate about his cause . And he built connections just by helping others.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:35 pm
Sarah Schenirer started Bais Yaakov. She was not rich, nor did she have yichus. R' Elimelech (Mike) Tress was not rich, and did not have yichus. IIRC, the founder of Hatzolah was a regular person.

Without going into too much detail to protect my real life, there was someone in my family who completely changed the landscape of American chinuch. I don't think he came from yichus, but his grandchildren now do!

simba

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:39 pm
camp wrote:

I don't know any huge initiatives made by wealthy, yichusdik people.
Maybe the movers and shakers go to them for money and a haskama. But short of that I am not sure what you are referring to.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 8:13 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
There's a guy in Monsey that doesn't have yichus or money, but he has a mouth and "balls", pardon my language. He hounds schools to accept children they originally didn't and he doesn't give up until everyone he knows has a school that eventually accepts these kids. He is influential because he is passionate about his cause . And he built connections just by helping others.
Rabbi C? He works tirelessly and is 100% dedidacted to the cause.

crust

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 8:22 pm
camp wrote:

The very influential people in my community were dirt poor when they started out, had no connections and no yichus.

They built world renowned institutions and organizations from the ground up with intention, ambition, (not always so good) people skills, a vision, a stomach for criticism and sarcasm, an open ear for constructive criticism, some snake skin and fearlessness.

Of course when you look at them today you see power and influence but kid yourself not. This did not happen in one day. This is a product of years of hard work.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:
Rabbi C? He works tirelessly and is 100% dedidacted to the cause.

Not him , but he also is an example, and Rabbi C initiated this movement for sure, so he definitely gets credit and is also an amazing person , I was thinking of him too as I was posting.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics