Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3yr old home w/ newborn or send to expensive day camp?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:48 pm
I forgot what it’s like to have just had a baby. I am due iyh in June and my son will be 3 in August. He’s a very active kid and currently goes to school 3 days per week- and he loves it! I plan on taking off the entire summer, but I will not have a salary at all because I work for myself. I really want to send my son to camp for half a day in the summer bc I think he will really need to get out and I will need to take care of baby and myself. The problem is that the day camps in my area are 2000$ for all 8 weeks of the summer. There is one backyard camp for his age but it will only be for 4 weeks. My husband is in a temporary position now and has a limited salary. Between camp, groceries and rent, we won’t be left with much of his salary. Bh we have money saved up but I hate to dip into savings. My question is- would it be crazy to keep my almost 3 year old home with me and a newborn all summer? He’ll need to get out of the house and go to parks, play gyms, shopping... is that even possible with a 2 week- 2 month old baby? Or should I just bite the bullet and send him to camp (9am-4pm)for 2000$?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 5:58 pm
newborns are quite portable... and nap well on the go. I'd skip camp if you can't afford it.

987gold

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:05 pm
It really depends how good your baby is. 2 weeks, you will still be a kimpetur. Instead of resting, you will be entertaining your 3 year old. I have no idea how big your house, or how well behaved, able to entertain himself your kid is. And 2000 does sound like a lot of money. But, I sent out my 18 month old for 2.5 hours 5 days a week for 8 weeks and it was quite expensive. It was over 600 dollars I believe. And they didn't want to change diapers. Lol. Being that I was due in Sept, he I very active, doesn't want to sit nicely in a stroller while I walk and swim, amd my husband ran a camp full time, it was the best thing I did! You can look at it as an investment into your health. By sending your 3 year old out, you will be able to recuperate and take - care of yourself! My opinion. People spend hundreds on going to Monroe, etc.... 2000 for your kid to have a great summer! Expensive but may be worth it!

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 6:29 pm
Why don’t you send him to the 4 week camp. That sounds like a good compromise.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:03 pm
I wouldnt be able to keep my three year old home. I would loose my mind. He is super active. Needs to always be entertained.Camp for me would be a priority. Really depends on how your kid is. How your baby will be. And your personality. My friend had a baby and a two and four year old home with her all summer and she and her kids were happy.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:05 pm
Can you find a mother's helper for 3 hrs a day.
She can take him to the park run around with him.
Take him swimming in a kiddie pool
Do an activity with him.

Don't know how much that costs, though.

Can you send part of the summer to the backyard camp and the other 4 weeks to the expensive camp?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2018, 7:34 pm
I just did this in the summer- gave birth when my oldest was 3. I vote send to camp. It was a lifesaver. This way I was able to nap when the baby napped, sit on the couch and nurse, etc instead of entertaining a curious and rambunctious three year old. Don't forget, it's hot in the summer and you really might be low on energy.
(My husband grilled almost every night for dinner, another huge lifesaver for me!)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 3:11 am
2 months, sure, if you're well. 2 weeks I'd say be home and think of you. I'd send the child out if I can afford and it's shomer.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 3:19 am
I would do the 4 week camp. If that is in July by the time it is over you will already be at least 6 weeks pp and able to take both your kids out for little trips. Doesn't need to be anything big - park, paddling pool or sprinkler park, library, to play with another kid, even a little shopping and ice cream. Try and find a friend with a similar age kid to do these things with.

Unless the camp is full day by the time you have done drop off and pick up how much time alone will you have? 2 hours?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 3:50 am
I'm home with my 2yo and baby. I have been since she was born. I would send out the first half. Then you could rest well in that time. By the time the backyard camp is finished, you should be able to do the entertaining he needs.
Please find other moms of preschoolers so he could have play dates with other 3yo's who are home second half.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 4:34 am
I would keep him at home. Send him to the back yard camp if that's a more doable option financially.
I had my youngest two kids 2.5yrs apart home with me for 6 months, until I went back to work. I had them both home with me.
We went out to the park all together.
beshaa tova!

salt

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 4:36 am
Just adding that I would actually consider one of the biggest advantages of giving birth just before the summer being on maternity leave over the summer holidays, and not having to pay for summer camp.

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 4:57 am
If you can't afford it, keep him home. Yes, for the first two weeks you will probably stay indoors, but after that, you can go to the park, do the sprinklers, and nurse on demand if you are nursing. It is not the easiest, but it is doable. I survived to tell the tale.

happyone

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 5:12 am
Ask two Jews get three opinions . Our circumstances and coping abilities after giving birth, the amount our spouse may help, our ability to have a teenage neighbor provide a breather/babysitter ad needed may differ greatly. I dont think what works for an amother here will provide your answer. I for one would save the money and spend it on babysitter on an as needed basis. You gotta know your limits and abilities. Hope you have an easy delivery and baby.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 4:53 pm
Thank you all for your advice and input- lots of factors I hadn’t thought about! Very Happy

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 4:59 pm
I am surprised that I didn't read anyone mention the downside of camp-having to get your 3 year old up and ready for camp every day, with clean towels and bathing suits and packed lunch/snacks etc, then either loading everyone in the car or waiting for the camp bus. Also, even though your child loves to socialize now pre-baby, who knows what separation anxiety might come up? Having a young teenager coming to you for a few or more than a few hours every day lets you have the help without the hassle. Camps pay the girls so poorly that the mothers helper wage you pay will have an allure. It will end up more cost effective for you.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Jan 11 2018, 7:36 pm
Knowing my own three year, I would say send out for sure. But it really depends on the nature of your children.

naomi2

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 3:35 pm
I would spend my last penny to send to camp in that situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics