Home

Can I serve this at a fleishig meal?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


daagahminayin









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:19 pm
I made a pareve pumpkin kugel for Shabbos using Silk Almond Milk. I just realised that the hechsher is OU-D (meaning dairy equipment). I can't serve it at a fleishig meal, right?
Back to top

amother




Coral


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:23 pm
Why do you assume OU-D is dairy equipment and not actual dairy? (I'm not familiar with the product so no clue).
I would personally have a huge problem with it even if it was just dairy equipment. Maybe others hold differently though.
Back to top

amother




Natural


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:24 pm
You need to ask an expert. Call your rav or the OU.
Back to top

tichellady









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:25 pm
You could serve it as dessert or it’s own course but not along with the meat
Back to top

rgr









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
Why do you assume OU-D is dairy equipment and not actual dairy? (I'm not familiar with the product so no clue).
I would personally have a huge problem with it even if it was just dairy equipment. Maybe others hold differently though.


It's a pareve milk... almond milk.
Back to top

amother




Coral


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:45 pm
rgr wrote:
It's a pareve milk... almond milk.


I get that it's almond milk which is a non-dairy milk alternative, but does that mean you can just assume that there isn't some small amount of milk-derived ingredient simply because it's a milk-substitute?
Back to top

amother




Cobalt


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
I get that it's almond milk which is a non-dairy milk alternative, but does that mean you can just assume that there isn't some small amount of milk-derived ingredient simply because it's a milk-substitute?
they say it’s dairy free.
Back to top

Shoshie









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:55 pm
At least as of a couple months ago, this product does not contain any dairy but was made on dairy equipment. Like tichellady said, you could not use it as an ingredient to a side dish for meat.

The OU rabbaim who answer the phone always suggest calling back every couple of months to confirm the status.
Back to top

tichellady









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
You need to ask an expert. Call your rav or the OU.

This is not a complicated question- see this answer from their website
Are Silk products kosher?

All Silk brand products in all flavors are certified Kosher OU-D. Kosher OU-D certifies that a dairy-free product was heated on equipment also used for dairy, and designates that dairy-free products heated on equipment also used for dairy may not be eaten together with a meat product. It may be eaten immediately after a meat product, but not together. Since Silk products are dairy-free, why is the Kosher certification OU-D?

All Silk products including Silk Creamer and Silk Live! Soy Yogurt are completely dairy-free and safe for people with dairy allergies. While Silk soy products do not contain dairy ingredients, they may be produced on equipment that also produces dairy products. Silk follows strict allergen cleanup procedures to ensure products made on shared equipment are dairy-free.

Silk is certified Kosher OU-D, meaning they are dairy-free products made on dairy equipment. The D designates that the dairy-free product was heated on equipment also used for dairy and may not be eaten together with a meat product. It may be eaten immediately after a meat product, but not together.
Back to top

amother




Coral


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 1:02 pm
Ok, it's just me then with the problem and I think this just opened a whole can of worms for my family.

We keep CY and also are particular about keilim. We would never use D.E. products.
We eat out by people that are not CY for fleishig meals. It never occurred to me that there could be any problem eating meat meals by people. I hadn't thought of the possibility that somebody could serve me a dessert made with D.E. ingredients in a fleishig oven to be eaten at a fleishig table on fleishig plates. I'm stunned. Wow.
Back to top

SixOfWands









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, it's just me then with the problem and I think this just opened a whole can of worms for my family.

We keep CY and also are particular about keilim. We would never use D.E. products.
We eat out by people that are not CY for fleishig meals. It never occurred to me that there could be any problem eating meat meals by people. I hadn't thought of the possibility that somebody could serve me a dessert made with D.E. ingredients in a fleishig oven to be eaten at a fleishig table on fleishig plates. I'm stunned. Wow.


You're stunned that people will scrupulously follow halacha and the advice of their well-respected rabbis?
Back to top

amother




Coral


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 1:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You're stunned that people will scrupulously follow halacha and the advice of their well-respected rabbis?


Of course not. What an obnoxious comment.

I’m stunned to know I could have been fed parve things made on dairy equipment at a fleishig meal. Since we don’t use such items in our home, they’re not even on my radar and it just never entered my mind that these products are used this way. Now I know. So now I have to figure out if we’ve got a problem eating out even fleishigs by non-CY homes.
Back to top

SixOfWands









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Of course not. What an obnoxious comment.

I’m stunned to know I could have been fed parve things made on dairy equipment at a fleishig meal. Since we don’t use such items in our home, they’re not even on my radar and it just never entered my mind that these products are used this way. Now I know. So now I have to figure out if we’ve got a problem eating out even fleishigs by non-CY homes.


You're repeating yourself.

Halachically, this is permissible. So your shock is misplaced.

FTR, we use Blue Diamond almond milk, which is OU. Because I'm too lazy to check to see if anything else is dairy equipment or actual dairy.
Back to top

amother




Mustard


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 2:46 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You're repeating yourself.

Halachically, this is permissible. So your shock is misplaced.

FTR, we use Blue Diamond almond milk, which is OU. Because I'm too lazy to check to see if anything else is dairy equipment or actual dairy.


I don't either understand your issue if it's not a halachic problem (as per the OU website).
Back to top

studying_torah









  


Post  Fri, Jan 12 2018, 4:18 pm
If you bake something made with the oud soy milk, for a fleishig meal, what oven would u bake it in? Fleishig or milchig?
Back to top

Iymnok









  


Post  Sat, Jan 13 2018, 2:42 pm
How hot was the almond milk heated on the machines?
Were they ben yomo?
Were the cleaned at hot temperatures with soaps? (Nosain Taam lifgam)

But basar v'chalav may differ from issur v'heter.
Back to top

MitzadSheini









  


Post  Sat, Jan 13 2018, 2:58 pm
Ok so R Aryeh Lebowitz touches on this issue somewhere in this shiur

http://download2.yutorah.org/2017/1109/891774.MP

I'm sorry that it is one hour long and I don't remember where it comes up. As I am not 100% sure what he says either I'm not going to try to summarize it. And he only touched the subject and doesn't go into much detail.

For anyone who has UNINTENTIONALLY eaten parev food from non cy dairy equipment and is worried about it, I urge you NOT to worry about it too much. Remember G-d runs the world as He allowed that to happen to you for a reason that is way beyond anything that we me mortals can understand. But I am 100% sure that the reason is NOT that you should now feel any anger, animosity or other negative feeling towards your fellow Jew, and certainly not someone who has been kind enough to serve you food. Not saying ch"v that you DO have such feelings. Just that we don't understand why these things happen.
Back to top

DrMom









  


Post  Sat, Jan 13 2018, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:
Of course not. What an obnoxious comment.

I’m stunned to know I could have been fed parve things made on dairy equipment at a fleishig meal. Since we don’t use such items in our home, they’re not even on my radar and it just never entered my mind that these products are used this way. Now I know. So now I have to figure out if we’ve got a problem eating out even fleishigs by non-CY homes.

You can eat parve food prepared in dairy pots/equipment after you have eaten a basari meal, but not together with the basari food.

As far as I knew, that was a universally accepted rule of kashrut.

What you need to figure out is whether you are okay eating parve food prepared in dairy pots used with chalav stam. You say you are particular abut keilim, so I guess the answer is "no."
Back to top

MitzadSheini









  


Post  Sat, Jan 13 2018, 3:42 pm
DrMom wrote:
You can eat parve food prepared in dairy pots/equipment after you have eaten a basari meal, but not together with the basari food.

As far as I knew, that was a universally accepted rule of kashrut.

What you need to figure out is whether you are okay eating parve food prepared in dairy pots used with chalav stam. You say you are particular abut keilim, so I guess the answer is "no."


That was a very succinct summary of the situation. I'm guessing though that Coral and others may now be wondering whether "being particular about keillim" is what Hashem wants from them (which will likely mean that they no longer eat at their friends houses) or whether this incident makes them question this "particularity" and decide to do away with it for the sake of community. Or not.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
guest bringing milchig dessert to fleishig meal
by amother
14 Fri, May 02 2014, 1:18 pm View last post
Husband served Milchig margarine with Fleishig meal!!
by amother
48 Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:16 am View last post
To all those who make a fleishig meal... Menus here, please! 9 Sat, Jun 04 2011, 7:12 pm View last post
If Im in middle of eating fleishig meal must I stop?
by amother
2 Sun, Jul 23 2017, 9:09 pm View last post
What do you serve for the third meal on shabbos?
by amother
6 Tue, Jun 24 2014, 9:49 am View last post

Jump to:  

Report offensive ad