Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Does Abby from Facets have Aspergers?

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:47 pm
I'm wondering if I missed this point somewhere in the story.
Does Abby also have Aspergers or she just identifies with Vanessa because she has some similar traits?

(I know this story is fictional though it has touched a raw nerve with me and therefore really want to know.)

yogabird

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:53 pm
I don't think she has Asperger's.

oohlala

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 6:55 pm
That didn't occur to me. I don't think Abby has aperger's, she's just VERY introverted and needs her quiet time after too much social stimulation.

climbing613

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 7:49 pm
No I really don't think so. She understands the social nuances too well. She's just very introverted.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 8:00 pm
I think those of us who are introverted sometimes wonder where the lines are drawn between Aspergers and neurotypical and where we fall on that spectrum. I doubt Abby has a confirmed diagnosis (we would have known...), but she definitely feels an understanding, a kinship, and maybe some concern about herself.

Sunny Days

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 10:06 pm
speaking of Aspergers in serials... Who's following the serial in the Tachlis? oish, forgot the name of the story and the main character... but those reading it will know... does that girl have aspergers?

juggling

Post Sat, Jan 13 2018, 10:10 pm
I don't think she had been diagnosed with asperger's before this week. I think the incident with Vanessa will either lead Abby to discover she, too, has asperger's, or will lead Abby on a path of self-discovery and acceptance (albeit without an actual diagnosis).

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 3:36 am
I believe she does, (If she were a real person) and I LOVE the series. As a frum woman, wife and mother with Aspergers I've been wondering for a while if it was building up to that. The combination of her social confusion and sensory difficulties point to that. She probably has a "mild case" like mine. No one would know from looking at her (like me) or even believe her if she told them (me too, and I'm actually diagnosed). She seems to study social nuances like it's a science as I do, to try to figure it all out (it's very confusing 😮)
She is soo similar to me I sometimes wonder if someone I know is really the author LOL

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 4:40 am
I don't think that Abby has Asperger's. I think she is slowly emerging from her shell and viewing people differently, dropping slowly her cynical outlook on people and of herself. I think what she felt was sudden empathy and understanding for Vanessa.
She really answered those boss men well, and with quiet confidence that she didn't know she had.

On another note: can anyone tell me where Riva Pomerantz has disappeared? I don't see her writings anymore in Mishpacha. And no more serials from her.
I loved her serials.

fiji

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 4:46 am
amother wrote:

On another note: can anyone tell me where Riva Pomerantz has disappeared? I don't see her writings anymore in Mishpacha. And no more serials from her.
I loved her serials.

She now writes for ami

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 4:51 am
amother wrote:
I'm wondering if I missed this point somewhere in the story.
Does Abby also have Aspergers or she just identifies with Vanessa because she has some similar traits?

(I know this story is fictional though it has touched a raw nerve with me and therefore really want to know.)

From a humble writer's p.o.v:
all fiction is based on a kernel of truth, or even more of a kernel - it's merely the surroundings, characters, setup, language that perhaps is changed, though the characters may be based on real life characters and changed slightly for privacy. The plot might be changed slightly from the real plot. Fictitious twists and turns added, and bingo! you have a fiction story.
And that is why - FACETS - a fiction story, I'm sure has parts that happen in real life, and thus has touched a raw nerve in you .
I'm sure that in real life there's a person/are people who's behavior/personality resembles Abby's.
People who suffer from Aspergers like Vanessa.
e.t.c e.t.c

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 4:54 am
fiji wrote:
She now writes for ami

oh! wow! really? big loss for Mish.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 7:34 am
I wonder if it made her realize that her son may have aspergers. Didn’t he get sent home from school for a similar offense?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 7:52 am
OP here.
The reason this story hit a raw nerve for me is because dh is like that.
He doesn't have any sensory issues at all and it's no problem for him at all to be out of routine though he's socially awkward (not with his own immediate friends, though he acts weird when he's uncomfortable and eg. can't head a shabbos meal properly. I hate having guests because of that.) I often just don't feel on the same page as him when discussing things. He's a very kind and helpful person in general though he can suddenly get angry as well and act strangely.
Does that sound like aspergers?

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 12:34 pm
I believe she does not. I think she has milder traits that resemble some with ASD, such as getting easily overstimulated, so she feels extra empathy toward Vanessa.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room