Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What to do if I have only one sink in kitchen-Kashrut

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 12:16 am
What do I do if I only have only one sink in my kitchen? Is there a divider that I could buy to divide my sink in two one side for meat and one for dairy? If yes then what is it called?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 12:24 am
In Israel they sell sink inserts.
You can use basins.

But really it's just for convenience. You need to avoid having anything in the sink if it will reach yad soledes bo. Like when you pour off the water when making pasta. The colander should be raised, not resting in the bottom of the sink.
Don't wash dishes in really hot water.

There was a thread recently about this.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 4:18 am
Iymnok wrote:
In Israel they sell sink inserts.
You can use basins.

But really it's just for convenience. You need to avoid having anything in the sink if it will reach yad soledes bo. Like when you pour off the water when making pasta. The colander should be raised, not resting in the bottom of the sink.
Don't wash dishes in really hot water.

There was a thread recently about this.

THIS. I've never seen them in outside of Israel, though. They're everywhere here around Pesach time, and are a real sanity saver.

If you're not in Israel, ask your local kosher store or Va'ad if they will order some in for the community.

If you know someone coming back from Israel, the inserts will fit in an extra large suitcase. They don't weigh much, and you can pack all your clothes in and around them with no problem.

If none of the above will work for you, find some tubs at your hardware store that will sit on the lip of your sink, but not touch the bottom. Some hardware stores will even drill holes in them for drainage if you ask nicely.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 5:23 am
I have 1 sink we bought collapsable dish tubs (easier to store when not in use) on Amazon. 1 for milk and one for meat. We put the dirty dishes in there and put the tub in the sink to wash dishes, my dh drilled holes at the bottom for drainage. Nothing gets put in the sink.
It's annoying but doable.😀
So good luck

cuties' mom

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 11:31 am
I put a rack in my sink for fleishig and am careful not to put anything milchig in my sink at all. (I only put fleishig in my sink on Shabbos.) They sell dish racks all over. I don't know where you live, but I got mine at the Gem store. They also have them in Amazing Savings and probably Lot-Less, maybe 99 cent stores, etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics