Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do teachers bring home any $?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 8:36 pm
Where I live babysitting is expensive. How much $ do you take home after babysitter, taxes, and travel costs?

How much do you pay for drop off babysitting. What about if you have 2-3 kids that need to go?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 11:47 pm
More now that my kids are in school and their tuition comes out of my paycheck. When they were in babysitting after school, I basically worked to pay their tuition and then brought a little bit home to help out.

The intangibles are great though, teaching in the school where my kids are. I can see my dd at recess, I know her teachers and they know me. My boys are in a different building, but still the same "system."

I don't teach for the $$, I don't think many people do.

I also have about 4 other "side" jobs that I can do when I'm not in the classroom.

I don't know how teachers with in-house private babysitters even break even. My kids were at drop off care, and I barely made it.

Starhavah

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
More now that my kids are in school and their tuition comes out of my paycheck. When they were in babysitting after school, I basically worked to pay their tuition and then brought a little bit home to help out.

My daughter was in a JCC day care center when she was young. None of the frum day care offered all day care. I did not like having to explain to her that she could not go the first 5 b-day parties she was invited to because they all were on Shabbat/Yom Tov or held in a traif resturant (especially since we were in a Jewish setting, but it all worked out in the end. She is in day school now (the only one from her daycare to go to an Orthodox day school, obviously).

And yes my salary teaching for the Cheder, just covered her day care expenses with about an extra $300/month.

Right now, I am recieveing unemployment. The day schools pay about $200 per month more than I get from unemployment, not much incentive to work, huh?

amother wrote:
The intangibles are great though, teaching in the school where my kids are. I can see my dd at recess, I know her teachers and they know me. My boys are in a different building, but still the same "system."

I couldn't agree more. I love teaching and my getting out of the house for even a few hours a day, make me a happier (therefore better parent).

I would LOVE to teach at my daughter's school. Here in Chicago we have our choice of day schools and I send her to the one she goes to because I love the philosophy.

amother wrote:
I don't teach for the $$, I don't think many people do.

That's for darn sure, but many of us do need to contribute financially to our families.

amother wrote:
I also have about 4 other "side" jobs that I can do when I'm not in the classroom.

I have had that many other jobs too. What a pain at tax time. My problem is finding other work I can do in the mornings (I teach limudei chol). I hate being a teacher who has to work during family time (read nights and Sundays).

amother wrote:
I don't know how teachers with in-house private babysitters even break even. My kids were at drop off care, and I barely made it.

I can't imagine that they do break even. Or maybe their parents are paying for the childcare. Some people are more willing/able to go to parents for help.

Star Havah

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 4:58 pm
I work in an office, I could never afford to teach.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:26 pm
It depends what your salery and qualifications, and what type of schoolyou work at. It is a myth that ALL teachers make nomoney, though we definitely don't get rich.

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Where I live babysitting is expensive. How much $ do you take home after babysitter, taxes, and travel costs?

How much do you pay for drop off babysitting. What about if you have 2-3 kids that need to go?

In repsonse to your title, the answer is they don't. Very few women can actually teach and support a family. They either have to be a very experienced teacher and earn a lot. But most of the time, someone who needs to have money to live usually doesn't teach. Only teachers who can afford it stay in school for a long time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics