Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Where to live ?

Mrs.mom1

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:58 am
Looking for a suburban modernish jewish community. We have a tv in the house and don't eat cholov yisroel. We keep shabbos and I cover my hair with a sheitel but don't always wear tights and wear open sandals. I have looked all over and for some reason can only find places we would not fit in. Please help me find the right place for us ! Smile

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:30 am
I think it would help if you told us where you want to live. the suburbs of New York? Paris? Jerusalem? Melbourne? Suburban isn't very specific.

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:31 am
Highland Park, NJ?

Atlanta, Georgia?

Mrs.mom1

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:34 am
Your right sorry 5mom. We live in boro park now but want to leave we just don't fit in. It doesn't really matter where in the United States but preferably a state the does not get to hot like Florida.

CDL

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:35 am
Wesley hills, or Pomona in Monsey? Edison/ highland park New Jersey? Five towns? Beachwood, Ohio? Boca raton, Florida? How expensive of a community are you looking for?

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:38 am
Mrs.mom1 wrote:
Your right sorry 5mom. We live in boro park now but want to leave we just don't fit in. It doesn't really matter where in the United States but preferably a state the does not get to hot like Florida.

No need to apologize.

Are your jobs so flexible that you can really move anywhere?

If so, then off the top of my head - Teaneck, Monsey, Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit and Baltimore all have suburbs where you might fit in.

Mrs.mom1

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:41 am
Looking for something not to expensive. For now dh is only making 48,000 a year. I love pomona but from what I understood it is quickly growing into a very frum place and I don't want to leave bp and be in the same situation not feeling like we belong.

Mrs.mom1

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:46 am
5mom wrote:
No need to apologize.

Are your jobs so flexible that you can really move anywhere?

If so, then off the top of my head - Teaneck, Monsey, Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit and Baltimore all have suburbs where you might fit in.

I don't/ can't work at the moment. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 2 years ago and have been having many relapses and serious chronic fatigue. And dh is still trying to find a good job in the states ( just moved here 2 years ago from israel ) so he will look for a job anywhere there is a community we will fit in.

lfab

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:49 am
Queens? But it ain't cheap.

MyUsername

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 4:07 pm
What are your other criteria in terms of communities? Or what were things you didn't like about the communities you looked into (no need to name names if you don't want, but telling us what you DON"T want is often just as helpful as telling us what you do want.

loveit

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 8:07 pm
Houston? It’s hot hot but cheap

Dallas has a good size modern community but the houses are NOT cheap

gold21

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 8:35 pm
Mrs.mom1 wrote:
Looking for something not to expensive. For now dh is only making 48,000 a year. I love pomona but from what I understood it is quickly growing into a very frum place and I don't want to leave bp and be in the same situation not feeling like we belong.

Taking your whole situation into account, I think a friendly out of town community is your best bet, someplace affordable and non judgemental that will embrace your family.

Pomona isn't really out of town.

Have you considered mid size out of town communities, such as Baltimore, Cleveland, and Detroit?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 9:44 pm
In the NYC area, Willowbrook in Staten Island sounds like a great fit religiously. Unfortunately real estate has gone up there a lot due to the influx of Chassidim. If you're prepared to move farther away, Baltimore seems like a good option.

flower3

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:27 pm
Memphis, Tennessee

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:32 pm
Detroit and cleveland both have your crowd and are both affordable welcoming communities.

mom2u

Post Sun, Jan 14 2018, 10:47 pm
New city it's close to Pomona but not so chassidish. Or Teaneck n.j.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics